Stock 1.9L on an Escalade?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Stock 1.9L on an Escalade? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I've been looking at Ctsv's for quite a while and the time has finally come, but theres a hitch. My ...
    gOt BoOsT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 CtsV '10 c300 '08 k1500 4x4 '11 RxpX Turbo E85 Powered

Stock 1.9L on an Escalade?

I've been looking at Ctsv's for quite a while and the time has finally come, but theres a hitch. My wife is prego with baby #3 and theres isnt any way three car seats will fit comfortably in a V. I'm now buying a new 2013 Escalade and creating my own V series suv. I already looked around for turbo kits and found one overpriced kit (hennessy) and one exhaust mount kit which is lame Imo.

It seems like a blower might be the ticket. Whipple makes a super clean kit, but im not sure what size s/c it comes with and boost #'s sound very low at 6~8psi. Does anybody know what the differences are between the two 6.2L and if a stock/aftermarket V charger could fit with some modification?

Thanks,
    Will

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V Coupe, 2007 Escalade ESV

Re: Stock 1.9L on an Escalade?

Quote Originally Posted by gOt BoOsT View Post
    I've been looking at Ctsv's for quite a while and the time has finally come, but theres a hitch. My wife is prego with baby #3 and theres isnt any way three car seats will fit comfortably in a V. I'm now buying a new 2013 Escalade and creating my own V series suv. I already looked around for turbo kits and found one overpriced kit (hennessy) and one exhaust mount kit which is lame Imo.

It seems like a blower might be the ticket. Whipple makes a super clean kit, but im not sure what size s/c it comes with and boost #'s sound very low at 6~8psi. Does anybody know what the differences are between the two 6.2L and if a stock/aftermarket V charger could fit with some modification?

Thanks,
    Will
    The engine in your Escalade is a Cadillac NortStar engine and is no way close to be similar to the engine in your V. The 1.9liter blower on your V will not fit. I am in the process of installing a 2.3 liter ZRI blower on my 2011 V coupe. It has to be converted over and it is not cheap. As you suggested there are supercharger kits available for you Escalade, for around $5 or $6 grand. They run good like there set, as I use my wife's Escalade ESV to haul my V to the Texas Mile with plenty of power. See picture attached. Good luck. Dons
    image.jpg

rgp6373 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v
    The escalade does NOT have a northstar engine it is a 6.2L and the 1.9 magnason blower will fit just fine

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Ok. Who is the tiebreaker?

Holy if you need to see a tie breaker on this one, you need to read some more car magazines. 6.2L v8 overhead VALVE not camshaft 403hp

Da V-Man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The Escalade has NEVER used the Northstar engine.

dons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V Coupe, 2007 Escalade ESV

Quote Originally Posted by rgp6373 View Post
    Holy if you need to see a tie breaker on this one, you need to read some more car magazines. 6.2L v8 overhead VALVE not camshaft 403hp
    No tie breaker needed I am definitely wrong on this. My mistake. Dons

Thanks for the input guys! So the motors are the same, right?
    Should I go with the whipple kit or use something else? I guess i could always swap pulleys for desired boost pressure, but I just want to buy the "right" charger the first time around.

Will

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Doesn't Lingenfelter make that exact package, for around 500 HP? I saw it on an auto show once, along with a newer pickup truck.

Depends what your end goal is. If you want around 500hp stick with magnason, if your intention is to make bigger power then consider whipple or kenne bell

After more research today, I found the whipple kit is a 2.3L so that should work great. It comes with 49# Bosch injectors which sound kind of small to run moderate boost (15psi) on e85...what size injectors are some of you big charger e85 guys running?
    End goal is an 11 second "V series" suv that hauls, tows, tracks and is comfy.

Will

quikag is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 White Diamond CTS-V Sedan, '10 Cyber Gray ZR1

For reliability and durability, I'd get the 1.9L Magnusson roots blower (just like the V) and run under 10psi. You'll have over 500hp and it should last a long time. I REALLY wish GM would come out with a nice supercharged V8 SUV, hopefully this next generation truck/SUV will be the ticket.

I had an '08 Yukon Denali (with the 6.2L engine) and LOVED the truck. Just loved it. It's the only vehicle I've sold (besides my first Vette) that I still miss. I traded her in for my '12 CTS-V. I love my V, but I think the perfect vehicle for me (since I tow my ZR1 to track events) would be a nice factory supercharged 500+hp Yukon Denali or Escalade.

Kerr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

that would be a blast.

However i would look for something larger, or go have a turbo kit made for it.

The rear mount isnt a bad deal, we have been in the low 11's with one when they first came out, it was cam, stall turbo, meth injected Z28.. it was fun and cheap at the time but they STS kits have gotten expensive.

If you decide to go with the blower, take time and call the companys, I Had a whipple on my 8.1L sububran and it was a total waste of time and money. The end result, was it was on the truck a month and sold. I then made a turbo kit and have not looked back. The problem with the whipple i had is that the motor would take in more than the blower could provide. granted it was 496 ci, but the blower was to small. i needed something like 3.0L... after talking to whipple the story i got was that becuase the truck was modified with a bigger cam, headers etc the blower just couldnt keep up. Bottom line is it worked threw first gear, it took 2 seconds off my 0-60 time but sucked after first gear even with the smallest pully made. With the turbo on the other hand it would spool in first fine, ( i have 4L80E ) then was on like donky kong in second and 3ed. end result with a pieced todether turbo kit from e bay, put a 9000lb suv in the low 13's..

Id love to do something to the wifes 2011 denali, but its under warranty, and everything else we have is modified so its no go..

If you want instant power, you just need small turbos, they will have no lag. do like two GT30's or something along those line.. probably be on kill mode by 2000-2500 rpms and make more power than the motor, trans etc will hold.

Im sure money ist a huge issue considering that your talking about 2013 model. but dont buy into the name band only stuff. We have built $100K top of the line stuff, and we have built e bayed, craiglist, etc stuff that runs just as good and 75% cheaper..

One thing you needto know up front is the stock trans will die, also im not sure how long the transfer case will live either. On my burban we killed the transfercase, tie rods, etc and it was a 2500 with the 3/4 ton parts...

If you decided to build keep us posted.. Id love to do the wifes.. On hers id just find a bar and plate fmic on e bay, Id do a single on her's probably a 70 mm, pretty good hot side like .96 so it will pull up top. then you will need injectors and pump, lots of tuning, a waste gate, you get the idea.. Im not much on 1/4 in her's but i travel the highway a lot, and 07+ slades and denali's freaking roll from 65- 100 ish when passsing, its all in the gearing on them but if you hit it with another 200-300 hp it would be a freaking blast.

here are some old videos. keep in mind im over a true 9000 lbs, where as yours will be about 5500...

this is the whipple, brake boosted its about 7 second to 60 with the blower and it was on 9 psi...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JfU0caHEdA

this is it turboed.. no idea what the popping is, either drive shafts or tie rods lol.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwG6RAmCRQU

this is non brake boosted launch, you can see the different all the way around the turbo is the ticket.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceopnUbCe08

thanks for the reply kerr! that third video is awesome!! the speedo shoots up quick, but looks like your breaking traction or the trans is slipping.

*update* after test driving/looking at the '13 esky, we decided the layout of the 2nd row bucket seats didnt work and there wasnt very much space at all. So now I'll be s/c my truck instead! I will post a build thread when it happens, but it might be over the winter...I ended up buying a '11 ctsV instead lmao.

Kerr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

yea it spinn when it comes on in first, thats with 35" inch tires lol..

You are correct the room on the second row sucks :C i wish they would make them larger. We traded in a armada on the denali and the interior room is a lot smaller on the denali, althought its not made of plastic and parts dont fall off, also it stops which them armada didnt lol

For big suv, its either old excursion, or a new Sequoia? maybe that ford expadition...

If i dont build a sleeper with my left over broken parts i might put the turbo back on the sububran. Ive got a entire motor, fuel system and turbo kit laying in the garage.. just need a trans and car.. im thinking mid 70's 4 door impala that looks like a total pos. New set of pistons and good rods let the old truck motor eat on about 20 - 25 psi lol.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.