K&N PreFilter/Sock for Airraid Green Filter Mod....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, K&N PreFilter/Sock for Airraid Green Filter Mod.... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Decided I would swap out my airraid filter for the green filter. Having used the green filter across many cars ...
    Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

K&N PreFilter/Sock for Airraid Green Filter Mod....

Decided I would swap out my airraid filter for the green filter. Having used the green filter across many cars and years their quality and flow was always superior to any "red' filter. Nevertheless I went hunting for a pre-filter /sock that would fit it because when I pulled out my airraid that was on my v for barely 20k miles it looked like some gorilla wiped its @ss with it. I'm sure it really hurt airflow. The socks always helped keep the filter really clean even after 20-30k miles. I'd rather lose a little flow for 5k miles than have to wipe of clogging cake every 10k...

here's the sock, it doesnt fit tight all the way around ( little looser on top ) but its so minimal its not even worth noting and the bands are tight enough were it wont budge or let any grime slip in from the top...

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...prod=rf-1041dk

Here was the pulled airraid filter...

Here is the sock on the new green filter...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels
    Looks nice but doesn't make much sense to me. Filtration is filtration. It's either caught in the main filter or the sock. The sock will limit airflow slightly even when clean and only more so when filthy. And preserving a filter isn't something I'm going to worry about. Cleaning it with a hose doesn't take much effort. The dirt making the filter black will go right through that sock. Post up a pic in 10k miles.

Blakester is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 cts-v wagon
    Have pre-filter on my tundra,(like) would have on V if available for air aid dry.

Re: K&N PreFilter/Sock for Airraid Green Filter Mod....

Quote Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
    Looks nice but doesn't make much sense to me. Filtration is filtration. It's either caught in the main filter or the sock. The sock will limit airflow slightly even when clean and only more so when filthy. And preserving a filter isn't something I'm going to worry about. Cleaning it with a hose doesn't take much effort. The dirt making the filter black will go right through that sock. Post up a pic in 10k miles.
    It does limit flow slightly im sure. BUT dirt material doesnt stick to the pre filter and falls off where as small particles stick to the uncovered filter and 'stack' until its well coated and blocking flow. I had a pre filter on my old new era green filter and after 30k miles the filter itself was just a little darker from soot and it hung open infront of my brake duct. Where as this airaid filter was tucked up and looks like crap after a few miles. So imho if an uncovered filter loses its edge in flow after only a couple thousand miles uncovered than it makes more sense to cover it and have the same level of flow over 20k, or even 30k. Look at my posts and threads, I dont post stuff to shoot out of my @ss. I dont post here often anymore as it seems everyone is stuck in their way and not very open anymore for advancement.

LOL. Didn't mean to get you all fired up. For what it's worth you motivated me to look for a sock for my Airaid. Didn't find one so she'll go naked.

Quote Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
    LOL. Didn't mean to get you all fired up. For what it's worth you motivated me to look for a sock for my Airaid. Didn't find one so she'll go naked.
    lol, no prob. Only had weak coffee left for todays breakfast

Definitely need a solid morning cup of coffee.

Ive found this to be a pretty good community. Here and there are some petty thoughtless comments but by and large people are usually very congenial.

This is the longest running v2 forum i know of so ALOT of newcomers can find a plethora of solid information if they searched. I mean realistically this is a 5yr production car

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.