Are CAT's really that restrictive??? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Are CAT's really that restrictive??? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Very nice install!!!! I'm ordering my pipes tomorrow! Thanks for sharing....
    Moparman4444 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Re: Are CAT's really that restrictive???

Very nice install!!!! I'm ordering my pipes tomorrow! Thanks for sharing.

lsxtuner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by miamictsv View Post
    Attachment 134873

Here is the final look under my car with the new power sticks mufflers install. I already had the cat delete pipes and added these.The car idles like stock and WOT is just slightly louder then stock. Video to come soon.
    Any sound clips?

Do these have any fiberglass packing in them?

miamictsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by lsxtuner View Post
    Any sound clips?

Do these have any fiberglass packing in them?
    No fiberglass packing. I will try to record some sound clips soon, now i am dealing with the AC evaporator.

Ok so I installed my Classic Chamber mufflers in the center of the car replacing the stock resonator. There is plenty of room for the 30" long mufflers. With the CAT delete, I was hoping for more noise reduction from the mufflers. At idle there is no difference, at cruse, there is no change under light throttle, but under acceleration the sound is definitely elevated.

I was hoping for something a little quieter. The stock CATS really do a great job killing the sound. I know some people like the roar and rumble but I prefer a quieter approach.

The addition of a cam shaft combined with the stock exhaust makes for a powerful sounding yet quiet cruising package.

I will say one thing, the removal of the CATS did make a difference in the power output. Im guessing 15-30hp from the butt dyno.

miamictsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Moparman4444 View Post
    Ok so I installed my Classic Chamber mufflers in the center of the car replacing the stock resonator. There is plenty of room for the 30" long mufflers. With the CAT delete, I was hoping for more noise reduction from the mufflers. At idle there is no difference, at cruse, there is no change under light throttle, but under acceleration the sound is definitely elevated.

I was hoping for something a little quieter. The stock CATS really do a great job killing the sound. I know some people like the roar and rumble but I prefer a quieter approach.

The addition of a cam shaft combined with the stock exhaust makes for a powerful sounding yet quiet cruising package.

I will say one thing, the removal of the CATS did make a difference in the power output. Im guessing 15-30hp from the butt dyno.
    Unless you use glass packed inline resonators the sound will be elevated under acceleration but glass packed tend to fail i think with our power levels. May be a high flow cats can do the trick for you?
    I know they are 200 cel and even 100 cel cats. The stock are 400 cel if i am not mistaken. Not sure how long even the high flow cat's can survive if you are approaching the 600whp.
    This is a sample pic of different type of cats i found online.

987-2_cats.jpg

That's a big difference. But in looking at the stocks, I think they look more like the 200 cell design. I guess an experienced tech would know better.

I miss my CATS. at cruise on the freeway under light load between 60-85, there is absolutely no sound difference in the car w/o the CATS and with my Classic Chambers in the middle than stock which surprised me. but with the windows open and at idle or under load, there is a 20% increase in sound level which is what a lot of people are looking for because it is a mellower deep tone w/o resonance and an ever so slight pinging exhaust sound from the straight pipes.

I guess Im getting old, but I like the complete quiet of stock.

Now I have CAT delete pipes leading into 30" Classic Chamber mufflers then connected to the factory X pipe with all mandrel bent piping. At cruzing speeds and on the freeway the sound inside the car is exactly like stock. At idle I can still hear the pinging in the pipes w/o the CATS. Definitely sounds meaner and louder outside the car. However the Harley type rumble is great at times but also annoying at others when you want a quiet luxury ride like pulling up to a restaurant.

I'm wondering if 100cell CATS would melt if installed in the factory location with 640 hp at the wheels?

Good wide open high flow cats aren't going to quiet the car much more than a straight pipe. More flow = more exhaust volume and possible drone. Want a quiet car keep the boost low

"Good wide open high flow cats aren't going to quiet the car much more than a straight pipe"

I disagree.

I had my car tuned with all the performance upgrades and the stock exhaust. Got 608hp at the wheels and a quiet ride.

I replaced the factory CATS and center pipes to eliminate the crimps and bends and had the car retuned with a more aggressive tune then got 640hp at the wheels with the only change being the exhaust pipes. The sound increased significantly after changing the pipes. Since the pipes and CAT delete was the only change, its reasonable to conclude that the CATS do quiet down the exhaust significantly.

I think I will add some of Kook's "Green CATS" to the exhaust to quiet down the system. Kooks says the high platinum content can handle the heat from a 650hp engine and won't melt like the stock ones, yet still provide good flow with their 300cell CAT's, unless somebody can recommend any other CAt's?

Been there done that more than once already

Really high flow cats do very little to muffle the sound, but if you get cats that do all that means is that you have added significant restriction

Having run AR headers with and without cats on the same V I can tell you sound-wise there was very little difference

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

I tuned and dynoed with and without the main cats (not the close-coupled ones, the 2nd pair further back) and it cost me all of a little more than 1 RWHP that peaked at a slightly lower rpm. It made a significant difference in sound.

I guess the hot ticket for a quieter exhaust is to install high flowing CAT's. According to KOOKs headers tech support, their CATS will not melt at the higher HP levels. This makes me question what the factory 400 cell CAT's can actually handle w/o melting. In other words, why not just keep the factory CAT's and replace the crimped pipe that comes off one.

I sure wish I had a dyno in my back yard and could test the difference with vs w/o CAT's.

CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparman4444 View Post
    I guess the hot ticket for a quieter exhaust is to install high flowing CAT's. According to KOOKs headers tech support, their CATS will not melt at the higher HP levels. This makes me question what the factory 400 cell CAT's can actually handle w/o melting. In other words, why not just keep the factory CAT's and replace the crimped pipe that comes off one.

I sure wish I had a dyno in my back yard and could test the difference with vs w/o CAT's.
    I melted my stock cats with just 600 at the wheels

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.