Are CAT's really that restrictive??? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Are CAT's really that restrictive??? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Caveman and Naf bring up interesting points. I did a search on this forum and found countless comments and opinions ...
    Moparman4444 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Re: Are CAT's really that restrictive???

Caveman and Naf bring up interesting points. I did a search on this forum and found countless comments and opinions about exhaust and CAT's but was more interested in objective evidence comparing an exhaust with Cats on a stock exhaust vs one without the cats. Granted everyone's other power components very and results will probably very accordingly.

But as a general rule of thumb for cars in the 580-640hp range I wonder what the difference would be in sound and power?

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

I don't know about the close-coupled cats, but putting the main cats (the rear set) back in and re-tuning only cost me a little more than 1 RWHP.

It's been awhile (ca. 2009), but IIRC, Wait4Me built and tested a completely catless and muffler-less 3" mandrel-bent system connected to the stock exhaust manifolds (separate downpipes to replace the close-coupled cats were an option). With no other mods, again IIRC, the net change was only 6-8 RWHP or so. He reported his findings here, so they're probably in the forum archives somewhere.

CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    I've seen 10-25 hp increase for various header install before and afters but the one test I saw for the difference between cats or no cats was a 1 hp increase in the middle of the power band for a split second. So essentialy no change. Just some extra sound. I don't like dealing with the possibility of melting them. Besides they are useless after they go in the landfill they breakdown and release carbon into atmosphere anyway... so why even use them in the first place. Tree huggers do more damage to the environment than they anything else.

miamictsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I removed mine using W4M cut delete pipe. My tuner warned me of melting them with my current power levels. 626WHP at this time. I really do not like the new louder sound compared to the stock one but had no options at the time.

miamicts,

Did you ever ask if the replacements of the CATS with a glass pack type muffler would quiet things down? They are relatively cheap and could fit under the car with ease.

CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by miamictsv View Post
    I removed mine using W4M cut delete pipe. My tuner warned me of melting them with my current power levels. 626WHP at this time. I really do not like the new louder sound compared to the stock one but had no options at the time.
    Same problem here. Decided to just through Kooks headers and Xpipe connected to factory muffler. If you do this ask for a modified connection pipe from Kooks to fit a coupe (If you have a coupe). Cause otherwise you will need to weld stainless steal and do your own modification to the exhaust. They cut and flanged mine to fit.

I have been thinking about it for a while but my car is not the most reliable one i have own and constantly something else goes wrong before i get to this. Now is time for a new evaporator and $1200 bill probably
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparman4444 View Post
    miamicts,

Did you ever ask if the replacements of the CATS with a glass pack type muffler would quiet things down? They are relatively cheap and could fit under the car with ease.

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

Quote Originally Posted by Moparman4444 View Post
    miamicts,

...or steel packs even, like the Porter Shorty: http://www.ravenworksllc.com/browse....let/4,110.html

I ran a bridge-ported 13B rotary engine in a Mazda RX-3 when I was a kid (~2,000 deg. F exhaust temps) and steel packs were the only things that would last more than about 6 months.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

That "needs some restriction" is an old wives tale; the less the better. An engine is an air pump, the more air in the more power out. Now, if an engine is not tuned properly for the less back pressure, then it would lose some.
    timg likes this.

warmwater is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by rgp6373 View Post
    Not to hi jack the thread but with no cats and headers corsa is way to loud, I had to put stock muffler back on. However I did ad QTP cutouts just in front of the mufflers for when I do want to be obnoxious lol
    http://youtu.be/KqbsnTWXA98
    What size did you use? And is that for the stock pipes? How much for the install?
    It would be cool if you could control it with your iphone or andrioid via bluetooth.

rgp6373 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v
    I have the stock mufflers and there is only one size of the low profile oval cutouts

----------

And I gave a friend a case of beer for welding the mounting pipe on and I did the rest do nothing for instal

I just ordered 2 of the medium powersticks from http://www.classicchambered.com/classic/products.html to quite down the car a bit. I am using the 20" version in stock diameter. This will remove my secondary cats/resonators. I will update you as soon as i install these.

Miamictsv

I would be real interested in your setup and results. Keep us posted.

-ATS- is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium

If you're stock then the stock cats are fine, but if you're not stock then the stock cats aren't going to cut it.

DSC02802-1.jpg

Here is the final look under my car with the new power sticks mufflers install. I already had the cat delete pipes and added these.The car idles like stock and WOT is just slightly louder then stock. Video to come soon.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.