Short tires....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dr. Design
  • 1 Post By krazik
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Short tires.... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I'm ordering a set of tsw nurburgrings and I have an old set of 285/30/18's from my race car that ...
    krazik is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): soon

Short tires....

I'm ordering a set of tsw nurburgrings and I have an old set of 285/30/18's from my race car that I was thinking of killing next weekend at laguna.

Besides the speedo being wrong will the traction control etc freak out? do I need tpms sensors in the wheels too?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Re: Short tires....

Hello,

Do you run with TC ON or OFF? TC might try to over compensate with the shorter dia setup. But if you go stabilitrak off, you should be fine. No you do not need TPMS sensors on the racewheels. Looking forward to seeing you out there next weekend.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by krazik View Post
    I'm ordering a set of tsw nurburgrings and I have an old set of 285/30/18's from my race car that I was thinking of killing next weekend at laguna.

Besides the speedo being wrong will the traction control etc freak out? do I need tpms sensors in the wheels too?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Those are wayyyy too short. My short slicks were 275/40 18...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Design View Post
    Hello,

Do you run with TC ON or OFF? TC might try to over compensate with the shorter dia setup. But if you go stabilitrak off, you should be fine. No you do not need TPMS sensors on the racewheels

Looking forward to seeing you out there next weekend.

Everything off, no computer aids for me. I'll probably just be there on Friday. Maybe I'll come down for a session or two on sat.

Some of you met me at Sears Point. I had the red s2000 (https://www.facebook.com/DrivingAmbitionUs) at sears and my grey 09 v sedan is my daily.

Here's some vid of my last year on shittier than stock tires. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovu0JJvBNZM

I really wanna try again on race tires, but not looking to blow a bunch of money since the caddy is my daily and occasional track toy when bored

Which car was yours at sears?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Those are wayyyy too short. My short slicks were 275/40 18...
    Yeah 2" shorter than stock. But except for a ~10% change in gearing, the should work fine. So long as the car's computers don't get pissed at put me into some form of limp mode. I've heard stories of the vettes going this.

Oh okay, yeah I think I recall running into you. Weren't you at Willow and we spoke for a few? I drive this D3 White/Black V Coupe -

As long as your overall dia is overall small it shouldn't hurt you.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac
    krazik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Design View Post
    As long as your overall dia is overall small it shouldn't hurt you.
    I dont follow.

Sorry, I should have elaborated.

As long as your overall diameter front and rear are the same it wont matter how short or tall the tire is (to a certain extent). It will not adversely effect the vehicle to the point that ABS and the TC system will freak out. Its when people run too much of a variance between front and rear tire (i.e. 25.1 OD front w/27.5 OD rear). The wheel speed difference between front and rear will cause the TC system to freak out. At a certain MPH you can feel the car "tugging" through the TC engaging trying to regulate wheel speed.

Please let us know if there are any other questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by krazik View Post
    I dont follow.

got it. thank you.

same size tire on all 4 corners in my case. I'll get the right size when these are done.
    Dr. Design likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.