Optional Gears for CTS V?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Optional Gears for CTS V? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Does anyone know if there are some 4.10 gears available for our manual transmission CTS V's?...
    Trainman SRT-10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS V Coupe, 6M

Optional Gears for CTS V?

Does anyone know if there are some 4.10 gears available for our manual transmission CTS V's?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Re: Optional Gears for CTS V?

Nothing available that we are aware of at this time. What tire are you running?

Thanks,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Trainman SRT-10 View Post
    Does anyone know if there are some 4.10 gears available for our manual transmission CTS V's?

austin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainman SRT-10
    If you have an Automatic V then you can order a replacement 3.73:1 rear end that the 2009-2013 CTS-V Six Speed Manual V comes with by using the VIN off of a Six Speed Manual V.. An easy bolt in. I believe you would also need a tuning program to set up the speed odometer so it reads correctly.

Mich. Pilot SS 305-30-19, slightly shorter than the stock tire. I was thinking of upgrading the 6-speed manual with the lower ratios (3.01, 2.07, 1.43, 1.00, .84, .57 as opposed to our stock ratios of 2.66, 1.78, 1.30, 1.00, .80, .63) along with a 4.10 rear gear to equalize the overall gear ratio in 1st gear compared with the automatic CTS V (4.03 X 3.23 = 13.0169 overall 1st gear) 6-speed manual currently (2.66 x 3.73 = 9.9218), by switching to lower first gear and wider gear spread to use the torque of the LSA engine and maintain highway mileage, 1st gear would be (3.01 x 4.10 = 12.341) and 6th gear would be nearly identical (stock .63 x 3.73 = 2.3499 overall and modified 6th would be .57 x 4.10 = 2.337) . I've noticed that the automatic equipped CTS V really has the advantage in 1st gear acceleration. Just trying to make things fair. I'm wanting to keep the car enjoyable and competitive at the same time. My best 1/4 mile on street tires , Airaid CAI, and tune is 12.24 @ 118.91. My friends automatic CTS V coupe runs high 11's (best of 11.58 @ 120, hero run) at around 117-119, and he has a pulley, tune (same tuner), CAI and catback exhaust, so based on MPH we are close , but when we race it is all over in 1st gear, then nearly even after that. In fact I actually gain about 3 mph more from the 1/8th to the finish than he does. All I care about is street driving and an occasional test and tune 1/4 mile fun, I do not ever use a road course . Future mods may include full headers, catted x-pipe, cat back exhaust, and a lower pulley to get the boost to around 12 pounds just to stay safe.

----------

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by austin View Post
    If you have an Automatic V then you can order a replacement 3.73:1 rear end that the 2009-2013 CTS-V Six Speed Manual V comes with by using the VIN off of a Six Speed Manual V.. An easy bolt in. I believe you would also need a tuning program to set up the speed odometer so it reads correctly.
    Mine is a 6-speed manual.

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

Can you hook in first on the stock gears with street tires now? I've gone a best of 11.85 @ 120mph with an Airaid and drag radials as only mods with a six speed manual. (Wagon)

With street tires hooking in first is nearly impossible and I can spin or haze the tires from a second gear punch. Are your upgraded tires really that much stickier than the stock 285s?

I think a 4.10 gear will be nearly impossible to hook on the street without running a DR full time especially if you go pulley etc down the road.

I'm eventually going with the 295 PSS on the stock wheels when the 285s are worn out.

Good luck
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris CTS V Wagon View Post
    Can you hook in first on the stock gears with street tires now? I've gone a best of 11.85 @ 120mph with an Airaid and drag radials as only mods with a six speed manual. (Wagon)

With street tires hooking in first is nearly impossible and I can spin or haze the tires from a second gear punch. Are your upgraded tires really that much stickier than the stock 285s?

I think a 4.10 gear will be nearly impossible to hook on the street without running a DR full time especially if you go pulley etc down the road.

I'm eventually going with the 295 PSS on the stock wheels when the 285s are worn out.

Good luck
    Chris
    Yes, my 305's are much better than the stock 285's. Don't get me wrong, they aren't great for drag racing, but much better for street driving. The idea of going to the lower transmission ratios and the 4.10's would be with the idea of using drag radials for the strip.....I don't street race. I have been driving stick shifts since 1964 and know how to handle lower gears, in fact I have an SRT-10 Ram with 4.56's (and 542 rwtq) and 1st and 2nd gear are almost like being in water at any speed below 30 mph. I really don't have a problem with my truck....at the strip it has gone 11.63 @ 118...and the engine is still pure stock internally. I'm just posing the question about 4.10's. I had a 1995 Formula and have a 2000 Firehawk, both 6-speeds and one of the first mods on both was to switch to 4.10 gears (in fact my SRT-10 came with 4.10's and I switched it to 4.56's) and around town driving became easier and better mpg....not bogging so much at speeds below 35 mph.

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Trainman SRT-10 View Post
    Yes, my 305's are much better than the stock 285's. Don't get me wrong, they aren't great for drag racing, but much better for street driving. The idea of going to the lower transmission ratios and the 4.10's would be with the idea of using drag radials for the strip.....I don't street race. I have been driving stick shifts since 1964 and know how to handle lower gears, in fact I have an SRT-10 Ram with 4.56's (and 542 rwtq) and 1st and 2nd gear are almost like being in water at any speed below 30 mph. I really don't have a problem with my truck....at the strip it has gone 11.63 @ 118...and the engine is still pure stock internally. I'm just posing the question about 4.10's. I had a 1995 Formula and have a 2000 Firehawk, both 6-speeds and one of the first mods on both was to switch to 4.10 gears (in fact my SRT-10 came with 4.10's and I switched it to 4.56's) and around town driving became easier and better mpg....not bogging so much at speeds below 35 mph.
    Yup I come from the F-body world too...(Owned four f-bodys, two were supercharged, one with 385ci stroker. T56s in three of them)

Based on what you're describing for your use that sounds like a good gear, unfortunately I don't think anyone makes them

stl_ls1gto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V wagon M6, 2011 GMC Sierra CCSB 6.2L, 2004 GTO

You could switch to a ford 9in irs, then gear changes are infinite and cheap. My 2004 GTO has a ford 8.8in irs conversion from the Driveshaft shop, check with them. I did it because the factory GTO parts were not strong, and for the ease of changing rear gear ratios in the future as the Aussie parts/gears for the gto are limited and hella expensive here.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

----------

Checked a few sites and the Ford 9" IRS conversion runs about $7,000 + for other vehicles. A little pricey for now. I'll call Strange on Monday and see if there is any interest in making a new ring and pinion for our V's.

Agreed on the Ford 9" in terms of the strength and gear selection. But to be honest we havent busted a rear diff yet. So we can't say that the OEM rear end is not strong enough for heavy use. However the optional gear ratios would be awesome! A few years back we did a 9" conversion on the current model CTS-V and it was pretty awesome. From a full production standpoint we can drive the cost down below $7K, but to be honest with you there isnt a huge demand for that right now.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by stl_ls1gto View Post
    You could switch to a ford 9in irs, then gear changes are infinite and cheap. My 2004 GTO has a ford 8.8in irs conversion from the Driveshaft shop, check with them. I did it because the factory GTO parts were not strong, and for the ease of changing rear gear ratios in the future as the Aussie parts/gears for the gto are limited and hella expensive here.

stl_ls1gto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V wagon M6, 2011 GMC Sierra CCSB 6.2L, 2004 GTO

Yeah, the irs setup in the V is alot stronger than the GTO stuff. Even with the GTO, usually the progression of breaking stuff was usually first the axle stubs would twist, then the axles would break, then you could break the diff after you upgraded the axle and stubs.

Got to love the "passing of the buck". Its good that there are upgradeable options available. Last we heard Torsen might have been working on something. But that was a while ago and it got pretty quiet after a while.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by stl_ls1gto View Post
    Yeah, the irs setup in the V is alot stronger than the GTO stuff. Even with the GTO, usually the progression of breaking stuff was usually first the axle stubs would twist, then the axles would break, then you could break the diff after you upgraded the axle and stubs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.