TVS2300 Rear Cog
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ArthurJGuy
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, TVS2300 Rear Cog in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; i have the latest rear 1:1 cog system from LPE installed on TVS2300,, it grips great making around 15psi of ...
    kj217 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

TVS2300 Rear Cog

i have the latest rear 1:1 cog system from LPE installed on TVS2300,, it grips great making around 15psi of boost but am sick of the constant noise it makes all the time,,

is there any quieter alternatives?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Karch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 TG sedan, 6A,LPE 650, and a few more mods.

Re: TVS2300 Rear Cog

Talk with Joe at LeftCoast'32. Great guy, and a Magnuson dealer. He's done some work on custom parts, so he might have a solution.

any feedback on LPE 14 rib rear belt system?

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

Take and drill small tiny holes in each of the upper and lower ribs every so often in a pattern, it will reduce the noise.

Quote Originally Posted by wait4me View Post
    Take and drill small tiny holes in each of the upper and lower ribs every so often in a pattern, it will reduce the noise.
    not sure I got you,, you mean I drill holes into cog belt?
    any pics?

No not into the cog belt. You do it into the pulleys.

The noise is from the trapped air. When you drill tiny holes into the cog pulley it allows some air to get out. The smallest drill bit you can find. Tiny Tiny.

Even loosening the belt some will make it a little quieter, but not by much. But when there are holes in the pulleys it gets quieter.

No not into the cog belt. You do it into the pulleys.

The noise is from the trapped air. When you drill tiny holes into the cog pulley it allows some air to get out. The smallest drill bit you can find. Tiny Tiny.

Even loosening the belt some will make it a little quieter, but not by much. But when there are holes in the pulleys it gets quieter.
    2 to 3 holes in every upper and lower rib?

Moparman4444 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Now that's the first time I heard (no pun intended) that drilling small holes in the pulleys will reduce the noise of a whining belt. heck I'll make my pulley look like Wisconsin Swiss cheese if it would quiet down the whine w/o reducing slippage. Very interesting. I'm wondering how much of a whine reduction there would be and how many holes in a 2.5" pulley or 9" lower pulley are recommended. Pictures would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Moparman4444 View Post
    Now that's the first time I heard (no pun intended) that drilling small holes in the pulleys will reduce the noise of a whining belt. heck I'll make my pulley look like Wisconsin Swiss cheese if it would quiet down the whine w/o reducing slippage. Very interesting. I'm wondering how much of a whine reduction there would be and how many holes in a 2.5" pulley or 9" lower pulley are recommended. Pictures would be helpful.
    we are not talking about the front regular rib pulleys,, we are talking about the cog toothed pulleys,,

ArthurJGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

I used to sell silenced cog pulleys and I can tell you that if you just go and drill holes in it #1 it will eat up your belt quickly and #2 you will burn up the bearings at high RPM due to the pulley being out of balance.

That is how I quiet them down, however it has to be done correctly.

I tried the 14 rib rear and it wouldn't hold, so cog was the only option for me.
    PerformanceDefined likes this.

I fail to see how the belt will not last as long. I have been doing that to pulleys for years and the belts have not shown more or less wear than with or without holes.

As for balance, If you are taking the exact same amount of material off all the way around the pulley, how is it out of balance? Also we are talking about a small diameter pulley that is aluminum and doesn't weigh much of anything to begin with. If you take 3 holes out of every deep groove, all at the same spots and distance from center, you have nothing to worry about. I would be more worried about an unbalanced belt. lol...

any pic jesse?

ArthurJGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

I fail to see how the belt will not last as long. I have been doing that to pulleys for years and the belts have not shown more or less wear than with or without holes.

As for balance, If you are taking the exact same amount of material off all the way around the pulley, how is it out of balance? Also we are talking about a small diameter pulley that is aluminum and doesn't weigh much of anything to begin with. If you take 3 holes out of every deep groove, all at the same spots and distance from center, you have nothing to worry about. I would be more worried about an unbalanced belt. lol...
    Without deburring the ragged edge will eat away at the belt. I have seen it happen dozens of times.

If you think the average person can get this type of precision from the center axis on every single rib by hand, best of luck to them.

any of you guys sell them modified and ready to run?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.