Newbie Question - Upper Pulley, Lower Pulley or Both? A Bit Confused
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Newbie Question - Upper Pulley, Lower Pulley or Both? A Bit Confused in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Gents, Quick question from a newb; I notice some of you do a lower pulley mod, some do an upper ...
    AlexTaylor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE - But Soon!

Newbie Question - Upper Pulley, Lower Pulley or Both? A Bit Confused

Gents,

Quick question from a newb; I notice some of you do a lower pulley mod, some do an upper pulley mod and some do both. I do understand that these modifications increase S/C boost but could somebody explain which I should do when I get my V?

I have searched on this specific question but there seems to be two camps here specific to pulley mods (upper vs. lower).

Perhaps when in doubt, do both!

Thanks in advance for the guidance/advice.

Alex

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Karch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 TG sedan, 6A,LPE 650, and a few more mods.

Re: Newbie Question - Upper Pulley, Lower Pulley or Both? A Bit Confused

What are you trying to accomplish? What are your goals, both short-term and long-term? Do you have a budget in mind? How much of the labor, if any, are you planning to do yourself?

Good questions, here are my goals:

1) I simply want to maximize (safe) Horsepower through modifying boost levels
    2) All of this will be done by a professional shop, not by me
    3) No real budget issues, assuming labor is similar for both upper & lower pulley

What I'm asking for is if there's a difference/benefit by going with Lower/Upper only or with both.

Thanks.

Alex

Karch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 TG sedan, 6A,LPE 650, and a few more mods.

Lower pulley requires more labor, and more cost. The benefit isn't really that great unless you are looking to maximize the effort with at least headers, or cam, or heads, or a combination of the three. The lower pulley requires a new damper, and the labor is much higher (generally) to R&R that piece than the upper pulley.

Since you have to remove the snout for the upper pulley, a lot of guys also have this ported, which seems to be worth another 10-20 hp or so.

Personally, I don't like the 2.35" pulley, but others have used it successfully. As you get smaller in the upper pulley, the chances of belt slip are greater. If you want to stay safe with this regard, get a 2.5".
    Additional mods I'd suggest are an upgraded heat exchanger, maybe a larger tank for the heat exchanger (no power gains, but the ability to stay in boost longer is nice to have), a CAI, and, of course, a re-tune.

Now, when you go to 2.5" upper, you may need to get larger injectors. Otherwise, you can get the 2.85" and know you won't need injectors, but that there is more power to be had.

For reference, Ben (good guy, no affiliation) at Weapon X has put together a very nice chart of information on pulley, belts, etc. I try to keep my blower below 23K rpm, but 24K is probably safe. I'm more conservative, as it's my daily driver, and not needed to race every car I see.

http://weaponxmotorsports.myshopify....ng-mods-needed

I hope this helps you a bit.

CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    I got my stage one 2.5 upper from Ben at weaponx. He said injectors are not necessary yet but my next mod should be intercooler and injectors before going any further.

Thank you! So it sounds like for my first series of mods should be, 2.5 upper, CAI, tune and I should get perhaps a 100 HP improvement? (ballpark)

Thanks again.

Alex

rayjoedef is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe...

100hp kick on those mods sounds a little aggressive unless they lean car out....50-60 sounds more like it.

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

You can also modify the stock airbox and use an LPE intake tube if you want to look relatively stock and have perfect (stock) MAF scaling.

A lot of folks do a 160 stat, stock airbox modded with LPE tube, 2.5 upper pulley and tune. With the adjusted fan settings and 160 stat the stock HX is quite effective unless you're into road racing/lapping.

When my warranty is up I'll probably go the above route.

Cheers
    Chris

According to Sticky who posts mods and 1/4 for us on this forum... the above mod is an increase of 90 whp. Not sure where you got your numbers. 50-60 is a bit low unless you are talking a 2.85 or 2.55 upper. The upper size very. I went with the 2.5 cause anything smaller and I would need injectors and other supporting mods that I was not ready for.

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris CTS V Wagon View Post
    You can also modify the stock airbox and use an LPE intake tube if you want to look relatively stock and have perfect (stock) MAF scaling.

A lot of folks do a 160 stat, stock airbox modded with LPE tube, 2.5 upper pulley and tune. With the adjusted fan settings and 160 stat the stock HX is quite effective unless you're into road racing/lapping.

When my warranty is up I'll probably go the above route.

Cheers
    Chris
    I kept the stock airbox and LPE intake tube. With Kooks headers, 10% OD HB pulley and a mild tune, I gained about 70hp. Ran it, autocrossed it, tracked it for over 3 years and no issues. Was perfect...

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanB52 View Post
    According to Sticky who posts mods and 1/4 for us on this forum... the above mod is an increase of 90 whp. Not sure where you got your numbers. 50-60 is a bit low unless you are talking a 2.85 or 2.55 upper. The upper size very. I went with the 2.5 cause anything smaller and I would need injectors and other supporting mods that I was not ready for.
    ....a 2.55, CAI, and tune ? 100rwhp? Put the car on a mustang with factory settings....then we'll talk.

I dont have to prove or do anything. I'm not making things up. These numbers are on this forum backed up dyno runs galore. You go search for it and then we'll talk. Unless you're saying Sticky is a lier...

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanB52 View Post
    I dont have to prove or do anything. I'm not making things up. These numbers are on this forum backed up dyno runs galore. You go search for it and then we'll talk. Unless you're saying Sticky is a lier...

"I don't have to prove or do anything"....what kind of response is that. Do your own research and stop relying on other peoples due diligence. I have in fact "gone all the way" with my mods so I have some experience with a build. I started with a 2.55, cai, and tune prior to full-blown mod. It was dynoed on a Mustang and DJ...100whp was not found. Now if you add a lower, injectors, and headers to increase boost, then you're getting warmer. "Unless you're saying Sticky is a lier" I don't know who sticky is but I'm sure he has talent - don't put words in my mouth jackass and stop being so hostile as you truly are a Caveman. Go ahead and put a 2.55, cai, and tune and get 100whp - mathematical masturbation at its best. haha

I don't see anything hostle in my words sir or mam. I apologize if you feel so. Maybe you should go back and read both our statements and see who is really being hostle or trying to pick an argument. Your statements are also off. I said 90 hp which means we are only differing by 30. I said 2.5 not 2.55. This may be the difference. It doesn't take much with the upper. I here there is a 2.35 now that produces the same as a 10.5 lower. Pick a fight with someone else. And god bless.

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by rayjoedef View Post
    "I don't have to prove or do anything"....what kind of response is that. Do your own research and stop relying on other peoples due diligence. I have in fact "gone all the way" with my mods so I have some experience with a build. I started with a 2.55, cai, and tune prior to full-blown mod. It was dynoed on a Mustang and DJ...100whp was not found. Now if you add a lower, injectors, and headers to increase boost, then you're getting warmer. "Unless you're saying Sticky is a lier" I don't know who sticky is but I'm sure he has talent - don't put words in my mouth jackass and stop being so hostile as you truly are a Caveman. Go ahead and put a 2.55, cai, and tune and get 100whp - mathematical masturbation at its best. haha
    They're talking dynojet numbers not an Eddy Current (Mustang) dyno.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.