Rear Diff Cooler ?s, report back especially track guys
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Rear Diff Cooler ?s, report back especially track guys in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Have any of you guys installed the rear diff cooler? Did you get the OEM GM version or the D3 ...
    spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

Rear Diff Cooler ?s, report back especially track guys

Have any of you guys installed the rear diff cooler? Did you get the OEM GM version or the D3 kit?

For anyone who tracks/autoXs without a cooler, how is your rear diff holding up?

I tracked my Nissan 370Z quite a bit and the stock LSD quickly became an open diff without a cooler. I'm reluctant to do much with my V until I get a cooler installed unless I hear it holds up well without one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

the blur is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Rear Diff Cooler ?s, report back especially track guys

I think, you don't really need one, unless your racing. I tracked my car about 300 track miles so far. Never had the light go on. I was not running 10/10's, maybe 8/10's, on OEM tires.

Nice to hear it holds up ok for you. Also good to know there is a temp light if its overheating. My Z just turned into an open diff with one wheel peels during auto cross events. Frustrating and disappointing it just died.

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

I haven't raced mine yet, but the major complaints (besides no cooler and getting the too hot/reduced power thing) is that the fluid volume is only 1.5L.

The upside is that it's relatively cheap to replace it often, so if you're tracking the car it's cheap insurance to replace the fluid more frequently.

Another benefit I just discovered is that I can fill and drain the diff without jacking up the car. Just a little shimmy underneath and both screws are accessible. While my dealer said they checked all the fluid levels including the rear diff, they clearly didn't. I added another 300-400ml to my diff when I checked the level tonight.

Somefun is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

If you drive hard you need one for sure.....I can only get about 10 to 13 laps in at Watkins Glenn and just a few more at Lime Rock until the the car says no more. So if your going to really track the car you should get one.

13 laps is a session at WGI. So it's time to come in anyway. Or just short shift 1 lap, then get back on it. Think about all the years cars did not have diff sensors, and they ran just fine on track. Now we know too much, and start worrying too early. Even the old Corvettes ran fine at WGI without a diff cooler, simply because we weren't watching diff temperatures.

I agree that ignorance was bliss. My Nissan 370Z that I traded for my Vagon didn't have any diff sensors and I tracked it often. But by year 4 of ownership, the rear LSD was toast. I'd autocross the car and I pretty much just had an open diff. Before I start tracking the V, I'm going to add the diff cooler and trans cooler upgrades. Hopefully it will prolong their lives. 556HP is plenty for me so I'm planning to just focus on making her more robust for lapping and longevity.

Most-wanted is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by the blur View Post
    13 laps is a session at WGI. So it's time to come in anyway. Or just short shift 1 lap, then get back on it. Think about all the years cars did not have diff sensors, and they ran just fine on track. Now we know too much, and start worrying too early. Even the old Corvettes ran fine at WGI without a diff cooler, simply because we weren't watching diff temperatures.
    One cool down lap wont do it. And its not knowing too much. There is no airflow under the car and thats why it gets so HOT. Other cars without sensors are not getting that hot as they have better airflow to that area. If they did overheat you would smell it in a minute like you do on the V. It absolutely needs a diff cooler if you are tracking it in my opinion.

soon to V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I've run about 10 track days with the second gen V and diff overheating is pretty likely to happen through the hot of summer. The first session is never a problem. After the diff gets heat soaked through the day, you start getting the warning. At first I would run a big house fan under it after every run, but that gets old and still can't keep up. After the mods I have (about 600 HP at wheels) its much harder to keep it cool. Sure, driving style makes a difference, track layout makes a difference, and location etc, but its still hits the 300 mark sooner or later. I haven't seen a cooler I would want to put on my car, so I've designed my own and have run it for a year and a half now. I've designed it for track days only, not full races, and so far no problems. I've been doing data recording and looking at heat slopes so I hope to offer it to others soon. Its completely hidden and lower in cost since its a lighter duty application.

That's great you made your own cooler kit. The D3 kit is a nice and slightly cheaper alternative to the true GM kit, but both are priced very very high. Parts wise, you could put a kit together for $500. But I've been there, done that with an oil cooler on my previous car. The amount of time spent piecing it all together is far more expensive than the overpriced, pre-packaged kits. Still, I'd like to see your setup.

I suppose a poor man's alternative is to spray the diff with a yard sprayer full of water after each session. But that doesn't exactly protect the hardware.

300 degrees doesn't worry me. It's not a crankshaft running fine bearing clearances. The synthetic oil should handle it.

----------

And I love that splitter. Mine is destroyed from parking lot curbs.

Low_ET is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, Thunder Gray, Auto

I was at Sebring today. I got the differential temperature warning each session. I am going to have to instal a differential cooler to continue to track the CTS-V.

I'm driving pretty hard. I boiled my ATE Super Blue brake fluid yesterday. Larger brake cooling ducts are high on my list too.

Quote Originally Posted by Low_ET View Post
    I was at Sebring today. I got the differential temperature warning each session. I am going to have to instal a differential cooler to continue to track the CTS-V. I'm driving pretty hard. I boiled my ATE Super Blue brake fluid yesterday. Larger brake cooling ducts are high on my list too.
    I have never boiled ATE, not even in my race car. Was it fresh?? Did you test it with the fancy hydro meter ? like most clubs are doing now. I even have opened 2 year old ATE in the metal can, that reads good on the meter.

Low_ET is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, Thunder Gray, Auto

It was fresh for this event. I boiled it after only four 30-minute sessions as my calipers turned from silver to gold. After I bled out the not-so-fresh looking fluid, the pedal went back to normal for the next four sessions. I will bleed it again in the next couple of days just to be safe.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.