Rear Diff Cooler ?s, report back especially track guys - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Rear Diff Cooler ?s, report back especially track guys in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by Rule12b Running 110, I'm running about 660 rwhp. On 91, about 600. The D3 cooler should do ...
    hlantin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Silver MT CTS-V Sedan - Recaro/Graphite Wheels

Re: Rear Diff Cooler ?s, report back especially track guys

Quote Originally Posted by Rule12b View Post
    Running 110, I'm running about 660 rwhp. On 91, about 600. The D3 cooler should do the trick although I have an AT. The MT's seem to heat up a bit faster.
    +1..mines is a manual. I like to overdo things..so I ran bigger lines.

You'll be fine w/ the D3 cooler. Rule12b's car is a testament to their durability and efficiency..he's been tracking his car since the Cad Challenge started..

jb_bgg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Black/Black V, Manual, Recaros, loaded

FYI - There is a new grill mounted HX kit available. Doubles OEM diff oil capacity, no fans required, and nothing hanging beneath the car creating ground clearance issues. During four days of track testing (16 sessions total) in 85-90 ambients, 10 lap sessions, return oil temperatures monitored post-HX averaged 170*. PM for details.

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Hello,

We have a fairly decent amount of track time with the Cadillacs. We've had dozens installed on a majority of the Cadillac V-Series Academy cars over the years as well as sold a bunch to Pratt & Miller. We developed our differential cooling kits based off of information we learned on the racetrack racing over the course of a year. I think that you will find our systems extremely beneficial in terms of keeping the differential fluid cool and keeping that pesky "reduce speed diff overheat" light off. For all of the cars running the Cadillac Challenge it's pretty much a must to run a diff cooler as these guys are pushing their cars to some pretty far limits.

In terms of the kits holding up. We have been running the same diff cooler/fan/pump combination for over two race seasons. We even run our Coupe diffuser which closes off the direct airflow for the cooler and we still don't have any issues. You can see a small NACA duct directing air flow to the diff cooler in this picture -

We are typically one of the quickest Cadillacs on the track and we are usually running full 20 minute stints all the way to the end at a quick overall pace. It is a testament to our diff cooler keeping our fluids cool while running at 10/10ths throughout the day.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
    Have any of you guys installed the rear diff cooler? Did you get the OEM GM version or the D3 kit?

For anyone who tracks/autoXs without a cooler, how is your rear diff holding up?

I tracked my Nissan 370Z quite a bit and the stock LSD quickly became an open diff without a cooler. I'm reluctant to do much with my V until I get a cooler installed unless I hear it holds up well without one.

brent38 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe
    Wow, that is an awesome looking Vuope! Any other photos?

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

Dr D,

How do your kits come with regard to wiring? Do they have connectors to attach to the OEM harness under the car? Or are they just bare wires that need to tap in somewhere? If so, what do you tap the pump and fan into?

Thinking this is my next purchase, dare I say even before a new exhaust.

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Thanks! There's a bunch of photos floating around. But here is the same car in track trim.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by brent38 View Post

----------

Hello,

Yes, our kits come pre-wired and ready for install along with an install guide. If you ever have any questions, you can call or email us and a technician will walk you through the install if need be.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Dr D,

How do your kits come with regard to wiring? Do they have connectors to attach to the OEM harness under the car? Or are they just bare wires that need to tap in somewhere? If so, what do you tap the pump and fan into?

Thinking this is my next purchase, dare I say even before a new exhaust.

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

In spite of all of D3's customer service issues...

That is a hot car! And, you make some nice products for the CTSV.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by brent38 View Post

I don't know if Voupe is gonna catch on. hahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho

I don't know if Voupe is gonna catch on. hahahahahaha
    Vagon yes. Vedan...sure. Voupe sounds like what my 5 week old just did in her diaper.

soon to V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Here's another option to Diff Cooler. This is a Track Day Diff Cooler (CTS-V Sedan) that I have been using on my car. Just another product from my hobby garage, but I will sell it to anyone interested. Goals of the design were to keep the diff fluid cool for a day of 30 minute track sessions in reasonable ambient temperatures on stock and modified cars, but with a fan-less system that is hidden in the space behind the bumper. Cost was to be kept lower than current aftermarket race systems, but reliable enough for off road use (only). The system is intended to be turned on and off for each session, but can also be left on between runs to cool your differential fluid and minimize heat soak before your next run. Designed to keep component costs down, but also thought through to be as easy to install as possible - thus keeping install costs at zero and one people can do themselves.

If interested, you can read more about it on my site: V2VDesigns.net

DSC_6644.jpgDSC_6825.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by soon to V View Post
    Here's another option to Diff Cooler. This is a Track Day Diff Cooler (CTS-V Sedan) that I have been using on my car. Just another product from my hobby garage, but I will sell it to anyone interested. Goals of the design were to keep the diff fluid cool for a day of 30 minute track sessions in reasonable ambient temperatures on stock and modified cars, but with a fan-less system that is hidden in the space behind the bumper. Cost was to be kept lower than current aftermarket race systems, but reliable enough for off road use (only). The system is intended to be turned on and off for each session, but can also be left on between runs to cool your differential fluid and minimize heat soak before your next run. Designed to keep component costs down, but also thought through to be as easy to install as possible - thus keeping install costs at zero and one people can do themselves.

If interested, you can read more about it on my site: V2VDesigns.net

Attachment 117810Attachment 117818
    Looks like a nice product. I'm very curious how that cooler does anything if it's tucked in the rear bumper. How does it get any air flow?

Looks like a nice product. I'm very curious how that cooler does anything if it's tucked in the rear bumper. How does it get any air flow?
    Gets air from the scoop created to grab air under car and flows it across long bumper radiator and then exits out the rear bumper openings already there.

Quote Originally Posted by soon to V

Gets air from the scoop created to grab air under car and flows it across long bumper radiator and then exits out the rear bumper openings already there.
    Ok, so it's sedan only. My wagon has no rear bumper openings.

Ok, so it's sedan only. My wagon has no rear bumper openings.
    Yep. Sorry, sedan only.

Quote Originally Posted by soon to V View Post
    Yep. Sorry, sedan only.
    No love for the unicorn.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.