Rear Diff Cooler ?s, report back especially track guys - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Rear Diff Cooler ?s, report back especially track guys in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by Somefun If you drive hard you need one for sure.....I can only get about 10 to 13 ...
    USAFRET is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe A6 w/RECARO's

Re: Rear Diff Cooler ?s, report back especially track guys

Quote Originally Posted by Somefun View Post
    If you drive hard you need one for sure.....I can only get about 10 to 13 laps in at Watkins Glenn and just a few more at Lime Rock until the the car says no more. So if your going to really track the car you should get one.
    All the HSDE's I've attended usually limit you to about 7 laps. My last event was at Road America in Wis hosted by the Mid-West F-Body Association with my bone stock Z06 and we were limited to 7 lap sessions. To be honest anything more than that would be trouble. Fluids, brakes, tires and even the driver were getting overheated. Of course if not running all out then of course you could run more laps.

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Low_ET View Post
    I was at Sebring today. I got the differential temperature warning each session. I am going to have to instal a differential cooler to continue to track the CTS-V.

I'm driving pretty hard. I boiled my ATE Super Blue brake fluid yesterday. Larger brake cooling ducts are high on my list too.
    I think a very intensely driven V has the ability to boil fresh ATE fluid. I did it on a hot day at VIR Grand East in my V1 with track pads and slicks. So on the much heavier V2, I'd always use Motul 600, or higher...

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels
    Agree. The weight is a real issue. I spoke and rode with a guy who owns a Radical SR8LM and he hasn't swapped brake pads in 2 years. He also buys new tires due to heat cycling rather than tread wear. Thats the beauty of a superlight car. While I'd love to have a V that is an end all track car, it needs some serious upgrades and investment to do so. It may ultimately be cheaper to buy a used track toy than to bulletproof and maintain a V for heavy track work.

Doc GTO is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Low_ET View Post
    I was at Sebring today. I got the differential temperature warning each session. I am going to have to instal a differential cooler to continue to track the CTS-V.

I'm driving pretty hard. I boiled my ATE Super Blue brake fluid yesterday. Larger brake cooling ducts are high on my list too.

For a heavy car like the V you need ProSpeed 683. You will not boil that. ATE is only 530 degrees.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
    Agree. The weight is a real issue. I spoke and rode with a guy who owns a Radical SR8LM and he hasn't swapped brake pads in 2 years. He also buys new tires due to heat cycling rather than tread wear. Thats the beauty of a superlight car. While I'd love to have a V that is an end all track car, it needs some serious upgrades and investment to do so. It may ultimately be cheaper to buy a used track toy than to bulletproof and maintain a V for heavy track work.
    Yep. I have a 2002 E46 M3 track car. Lightweight, slicks, and downforce does the trick! v is for DD and drag strip fun.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Have any of you guys installed the rear diff cooler? Did you get the OEM GM version or the D3 kit?

For anyone who tracks/autoXs without a cooler, how is your rear diff holding up?

I tracked my Nissan 370Z quite a bit and the stock LSD quickly became an open diff without a cooler. I'm reluctant to do much with my V until I get a cooler installed unless I hear it holds up well without one.
    Get a laser temp gun and make sure of them. I think some sensors are bad. I "may" have had one "high heat" warning, but it went out right away. This was on the Milwaukee Mile, the oval part, on an 80s day. I've been out in the 100s and not a wimper. Unless I get it regularly, I'll skip the cooler and watch the temps.

sshu is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I remember somebody saying before that during a cadillac event, they were placing fans under the diff to cool it off between sessions. Assuming you can power the fans, would this be a easier solution? I wouldn't want to put my warranty in jeopardy with mods.

Using fans under the car doesn't make the diff stay cool so you can stay on track longer. It also doesn't protect the diff from overtemp issues.

The diff cooler install looks pretty easy. If I ever had an issue, I'd just take it off before going to the dealer. It's just an inlet and outlet hose, pump and a cooler with fan. Simple install.

soon to V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Using fans under the car doesn't make the diff stay cool so you can stay on track longer. It also doesn't protect the diff from overtemp issues.

The diff cooler install looks pretty easy. If I ever had an issue, I'd just take it off before going to the dealer. It's just an inlet and outlet hose, pump and a cooler with fan. Simple install.
    Year before last, I used a big house fan (powered from a powerpack) between runs to test the ability to keep diff temps down before the run. Suffice it to say, it gave me like one more run before the heat soaked diff just couldn't be cooled down to keep up. That was with stock HP. I'm running more HP now. More HP, means more heat being put through the diff. This is why I just designed my own lighter duty cooler for Track Days. I just ran Mid Ohio yesterday and another V was there. It had Diff overheat warnings - mine did not. 7 some events now, and no overheating. I plan to offer it for sale here soon. Agree with spearfish about just taking off the cooler before taking it to dealer if you're concerned about warranty (but not running one and overheating puts your diff at more risk). I've designed mine to be very simple to take on and off and no one would know. V2VDesigns.net

Looking forward to seeing your design. What temp triggers the OEM high temp alarm in the diff?

Looking forward to seeing your design. What temp triggers the OEM high temp alarm in the diff?
    300 degrees. Design done and perfected. Just finishing all the other business stuff et al. Yuck! Stay tuned.

Rule12b is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Sedan

I run the D3 diff cooler. I've only overheated my diff twice since then, both on track days exceeding 100 degrees ambient. Other than that, it's kept it cool. Before installing I overheated on a heavy track day when temps were low 80's, that was enough for me to invest. I run 25 minute sessions and I don't take laps off if I can avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rule12b View Post
    I run the D3 diff cooler. I've only overheated my diff twice since then, both on track days exceeding 100 degrees ambient. Other than that, it's kept it cool. Before installing I overheated on a heavy track day when temps were low 80's, that was enough for me to invest. I run 25 minute sessions and I don't take laps off if I can avoid it.
    Thanks. This is good info. How much Horsepower you running? My design goals are up to 30 minutes, 100 degrees ambient, 600 Wheel HP.

hlantin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Silver MT CTS-V Sedan - Recaro/Graphite Wheels

I've got a modified D3 cooler and 600+ rwhp. Last track day was at Willow Springs and 100+ by noon. Never got the diff warning message. It was about the only thing that kept my temps in check...everthing else ran HOT!

Modified how?

Rule12b is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by soon to V View Post
    Thanks. This is good info. How much Horsepower you running? My design goals are up to 30 minutes, 100 degrees ambient, 600 Wheel HP.
    Running 110, I'm running about 660 rwhp. On 91, about 600. The D3 cooler should do the trick although I have an AT. The MT's seem to heat up a bit faster.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.