Will a 160 thermostst help a stock engine - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Will a 160 thermostst help a stock engine in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; ---------- [/COLOR] Originally Posted by 6speeder I'm gonna presume English is a second language for you, and if so, you're ...
    Trainman SRT-10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS V Coupe, 6M

Re: Will a 160 thermostst help a stock engine

----------

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by 6speeder View Post
    I'm gonna presume English is a second language for you, and if so, you're doing better than I would in another language. To the point, you've got your temps wrong, mine goes into closed loop much sooner than it gets to 120F. Once a car warms up enough, (102F ECT for my 2010) including the heated O2 sensors, THEN it goes into closed loop, not when the O2's are cold.

OP: As far as your tuner, he's got it wrong also. Have him look at the timing Vs. ECT tables, It'll show show much timing is pulled when the temps are in the 200+ range. BAD for making HP.

I may have mis-quoted him, as I am not really mechanically inclined, I will be seeing him on Thursday to get an AIRAID CAI installed and the car tuned. I met him through a friend who has a ZL1 Camaro. This ZL1 made 489rwhp and 499 ftlbs ( 6 speed manual) stock. After Charlie at RPM Motors did heads ,cam, pulleys, headers, intercooler, 160 Therm, and tune the car made 706.5 rwhp and 725.8 ftlbs without Meth and 733.6 rwhp and 732.5 ftlbs with Meth. It idles at 800rpm, very mild street manners, but makes over 700 ftlbs from 3,000-5,000 rpms. All on the stock bottom end. He came highly recommended from several Vette owners, a real master with the LS motors.

nguyennhatquang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DeVille DHS, 2004 Mercedes C200K, V Coupe, BMW 750li

OP: As far as your tuner, he's got it wrong also. Have him look at the timing Vs. ECT tables, It'll show show much timing is pulled when the temps are in the 200+ range. BAD for making HP.
    i play with my own Hp runner. I don't have any people teach me how to do it. Anyway thank you so much for helping.

you talk about the timing pull when the temps are in 200+ range..are you talk about the ignition degree? thank..

6speeder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by nguyennhatquang View Post
    i play with my own Hp runner. I don't have any people teach me how to do it. Anyway thank you so much for helping.

you talk about the timing pull when the temps are in 200+ range..are you talk about the ignition degree? thank..
    Yes, ignition timing. At higher coolant or intake air temps the computer backs down the ignition timing from where it thinks is optimal. It does this to prevent detonation. It's better to keep the temps just a little lower to prevent this.

If you have HP tuners pull up your file comparing ignition timing and engine coolant temps, you'll see how the timing is reduced at higher loads and higher temps.

That ZL1 sounds like a fun ride. Noticed he put a 160 in it, you wouldn't do that if you wanted to run it at 190-202.

Trainman SRT-10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS V Coupe, 6M

That ZL1 sounds like a fun ride. Noticed he put a 160 in it, you wouldn't do that if you wanted to run it at 190-202.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking, thus my original question about a 160 therm. I will get that qualified on Thursday. I was wondering if it was good for a modded engine , then would it be good for my stock engine?

6speeder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Trainman SRT-10 View Post
    That ZL1 sounds like a fun ride. Noticed he put a 160 in it, you wouldn't do that if you wanted to run it at 190-202.
    That's what I was thinking, thus my original question about a 160 therm. I will get that qualified on Thursday. I was wondering if it was good for a modded engine , then would it be good for my stock engine?[/QUOTE]

I run them in all my cars, for the reasons cited.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.