Lifter failure
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Lifter failure in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So, am I the only one to have a lifter fail on a low milage V that's only on a ...
    Purevil is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Lifter failure

So, am I the only one to have a lifter fail on a low milage V that's only on a CAI and 2.55" upper?????? FML

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

Re: Lifter failure

Ive seen 2 others. Both 2010s.

One was bone stock with an air box. The other was lower 10inch pulley, tune, air box. Both where cars from other states that had work done at other shops " I didn't touch them at all before they got to me", I got to repair them after the dealers didn't cover them under warranty for abuse.

It pin sheared off on the lifter causing the ball tip to sit into the lifter itself and was grinding the tip off, and the cam lobe.

Both cars complained of misfire and weird noises to the dealers.

Glad that when it started tapping, we shut her down and immediately started checking the drivetrain. I'm waiting to hear how it looks after they pull the heads today and swap them all out.

well sad thing is, it killed the oil pump as well as the little bearings on the wheel came out and got thru the pick up and right into the rotors. I found them in the oil pump, in the oil pump return line to the oil filter as well. The oil pump had a few nice pits in the rotor rings from it.

Easy fix though, just make sure they pull the plugs on the block and clean out the oil passage ways really good. The rest of the bearings will be in the filter itself if it passed thru.

So, new pickup. new pump. new camshaft, and new lifter. HOWEVER you might have a bad lifter bore afterwards as well, so look for any damage. IF there are any scratches, you will have to pull the block and get lifter bushings installed on the block.

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

Quote Originally Posted by wait4me View Post
    Ive seen 2 others. Both 2010s.

One was bone stock with an air box.... I got to repair them after the dealers didn't cover them under warranty for abuse.
    What am I missing - bone stock with a modified box and their warranty claim was denied? What kind of abuse was suggested?

Unless there's more to the story, that seems like a good reason to lawyer up.

Not sure, I was not involved. I just got the pile of parts in boxes and an empty shell of a car. Trans, engine, in crates, front suspension was all pulled off and held back in with 1 bolt ect..

Thumbs up Re: Lifter failure

Quote Originally Posted by wait4me View Post
    Not sure, I was not involved. I just got the pile of parts in boxes and an empty shell of a car. Trans, engine, in crates, front suspension was all pulled off and held back in with 1 bolt ect..
    Wow, what a mess. Everything was contained on mine, just a spring failure within the lifter. RPM got my ride back up and running in no time now to see what she puts out after they work their dyno magic on her tomorrow.

Ahh, that would be different than these failures.. Can you email me pictures of the lifter, and the guts with the broken spring shown please? jessebubb@ yahoo.com

the blur is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

How could they not cover that if the car is bone stock ???

pat2t2f is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    It's not bone stock. There don't seem to be a lot of mods but an intake and an upper from what the original post said.

Yeah, CAI & upper, didn't even bother with the dealer to deny it, lol.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.