Cats or no cats? Hmm...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Cats or no cats? Hmm... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hey everyone, I'm thinking about Stainless Works headers to go with my previously installed Stainless Works cat back system. But ...
    thegraham77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V Coupe Thunder Gray ChromaFlair

Cats or no cats? Hmm...

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about Stainless Works headers to go with my previously installed Stainless Works cat back system. But what I need some help on is whether I should get the high flow cats with the headers or not. I don't have any emissions inspections to worry about here.

Has anyone heard both? If so, how much of a sound difference is there (tone and volume wise)? Is one going to be harder to dial in on a dyno than the other? This might be a dumb question, but would each setup require a different plug than the other? I was originally thinking TR7ix.

Other mods already installed: CAI, 2.5 upper, ID850 injectors and tuned for all those.

I guess I'm not really worried about how loud it is Any input would be appreciated. THANKS!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Me Wanna A V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Cats or no cats? Hmm...

I'll keep this simple...

Cats: Cost more, slightly less noise, prevents some raw gas smell, HAVE TENDENCY TO MELT AND FAIL.

Off Road: Cheaper, louder, more HP, more fuel smell, FAIL INSPECTION....

Since u don't have inspection, save your money and get "off road". Most every Cat Conv. fails with high HP applications, especially forced induction which creates a lot of heat and melts them....

Ask your tuner which plugs he wants in your car, as u will need a re-tune due to the headers....

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Cats will get you to boost quicker for the slightly higher back pressure...No cats higher peak hp, lower mid power....

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

I would go withouot cats however your car is going to be SUPER loud.

You might want to put back on your stock catback with the headers. They flow very well, will not drone and still sound great at WOT.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by Naf
    No cats higher peak hp, lower mid range power....
    This. Also, if you delete cats, expect more rasp in the exhaust, too. That was my experience.

V locity is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan A6, 730 RWHP Stock airbox & stock exst

Another alternative is to put a couple of bullets on the mid pipe instead of cats. I've been in one and it's purdy quite...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.