D3 Springs...Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, D3 Springs...Question in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; HEy guys, What are your thoughts on the D3 springs? I made an impulse buy the other day and in ...
    2013CTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013CTSV

D3 Springs...Question

HEy guys,

What are your thoughts on the D3 springs? I made an impulse buy the other day and in speaking with some people they strongly recommended against them saying the only route to go is coils or bust. Do the springs hurt the car in any way shape or form? In terms of ride, performance, durability etc etc. I should of looked into them more before I bought them which was my first mistake but hey we all learn and do stupid shit at times. If anyone with them on their cars could give me a quick review id really appreciate it.

Thank you

Brendan

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

flyingv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V 6MT

Re: D3 Springs...Question

I have the comp springs on my car and I have 10,000 miles and 10 track days on them. I've been happy with mine. As long as you run the sleeves on the upper coils on the front they won't make any noise. Springs won't hurt the car in any way. Ride is stiffer, but not unbearable for a lowered car. Would I have gone coil-over from the beginning if I had the choice.. possibly to be able to change spring rates for the track, but it wasn't an option at the time.
    Unfortunately there aren't many options for us (D3, eibach, KW)

flyingv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V 6MT

You need to empty your PM box, I can't reply to your message until you do

cruiser68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)

I've also got the comp springs for about 10K and 10 track days. First off, HUGE improvement on track. Like night and day. On road, I notice a very slightly firmer ride. I'm talking very slight. Other than that I actually think I prefer the lowered ride over the stock ride. Coilovers definitely offer a lot more adjustment. Had I known how much I was going to track my V I would have gone right to coilovers. Mine are quiet with no sleeves but I removed the dust cover and trimmed the bump stop in the front.

2013CTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013CTSV

Quote Originally Posted by flyingv View Post
    You need to empty your PM box, I can't reply to your message until you do
    I had no freaking messages lol. I had 1 sent and 1 in my inbox!!!

rayjoedef is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe...

I have D3 comp springs...just make sure the installer is familiar with the product so you don't experience noise - like op stated. The ride is great, the look fantastic. I have approx 15k miles on springs but 1 spring did fail (snapped in half). D3 overnighted new one and haven't had a problem since.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

So all of you have the competition springs, and not just the lowering ones?I thought that more had the lowering ones. I didn't realize that we had to do the trimming thing on the competition ones also.

Greg_D3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by 2013CTSV View Post
    HEy guys,

What are your thoughts on the D3 springs? I made an impulse buy the other day and in speaking with some people they strongly recommended against them saying the only route to go is coils or bust. Do the springs hurt the car in any way shape or form? In terms of ride, performance, durability etc etc. I should of looked into them more before I bought them which was my first mistake but hey we all learn and do stupid shit at times. If anyone with them on their cars could give me a quick review id really appreciate it.

Thank you

Brendan
    2013 CTSV,

Our spring package will not damage your V, it even comes with the mag ride rods to adjust the system. Coil overs will require deleting of the mag ride.

Quote Originally Posted by baabootoo View Post
    So all of you have the competition springs, and not just the lowering ones?I thought that more had the lowering ones. I didn't realize that we had to do the trimming thing on the competition ones also.
    We recommend trimming the dust cover to keep from making noise.

Rule12b is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Sedan

I had them before going to coil overs. If you search my history I posted in detail about them. At the time, I thought they were the best thing I'd done to the car. It actually, to my mind, improved the ride of the car across the board. Definitely improved handling on the track of course, but also improved day to day driving too.

BigDog001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Black Diamond V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Rule12b View Post
    I had them before going to coil overs. If you search my history I posted in detail about them. At the time, I thought they were the best thing I'd done to the car. It actually, to my mind, improved the ride of the car across the board. Definitely improved handling on the track of course, but also improved day to day driving too.
    I also have the comp springs and sway bars -- love them and the handling is absolutely great -- but the real unanswered question for Rule12b -- do you believe the coil overs are better from racing and/or street perspective -- I assume (and you know what it means when you assume) racing is better -- but what about the street?

HUGN*RDS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 V

does D3 provide installation instructions with their springs? or could someone point me towards a write-up?

Greg_D3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by HUGN*RDS View Post
    does D3 provide installation instructions with their springs? or could someone point me towards a write-up?
    HUGN*RDS send me a email at Greg.Eremian@d3groupinc.com and i will send you the instructions.

Rule12b is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by BigDog001 View Post
    I also have the comp springs and sway bars -- love them and the handling is absolutely great -- but the real unanswered question for Rule12b -- do you believe the coil overs are better from racing and/or street perspective -- I assume (and you know what it means when you assume) racing is better -- but what about the street?
    I would NEVER change out the great system in the V for coilovers if the car was primarily going to be on the street. Coilovers are way better for the track, but I've never been a fan for a street car. When I made the switch to the coil overs, I did so knowing I would not be driving the car on the street much, if at all. That's of course here in LA where the roads are for shit. I mean hell, I ride an iPed to work and have an F-150 Supercrew as a DD for the one or two days a week I drive somewhere. So I KNEW I would seldom find myself bumping along in the stiff Caddy on LA streets.

The adjustability of the coilovers is a great advantage for the track, and for guys trying to fine tune ride height. But it's kind of a pain to do unless you are willing to remove the wheels. Whereas, with some sweet springs like the Comps, and the existing struts, you get push button selectivity that is fantastic on the street and solid on the track. I mean, I thought these springs changed the car so much for the better both on the freeway and on the track, I don't know why they aren't standard equipment. Seriously.

But, some guys live in areas with perfect streets and coilovers are no problem. Especially with a soft spring rate. I just think that for dual purpose, coilovers are overkill unless you are one of these guys.

BigDog001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Black Diamond V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Rule12b View Post
    I would NEVER change out the great system in the V for coilovers if the car was primarily going to be on the street. Coilovers are way better for the track, but I've never been a fan for a street car. When I made the switch to the coil overs, I did so knowing I would not be driving the car on the street much, if at all. That's of course here in LA where the roads are for shit. I mean hell, I ride an iPed to work and have an F-150 Supercrew as a DD for the one or two days a week I drive somewhere. So I KNEW I would seldom find myself bumping along in the stiff Caddy on LA streets.

The adjustability of the coilovers is a great advantage for the track, and for guys trying to fine tune ride height. But it's kind of a pain to do unless you are willing to remove the wheels. Whereas, with some sweet springs like the Comps, and the existing struts, you get push button selectivity that is fantastic on the street and solid on the track. I mean, I thought these springs changed the car so much for the better both on the freeway and on the track, I don't know why they aren't standard equipment. Seriously.

But, some guys live in areas with perfect streets and coilovers are no problem. Especially with a soft spring rate. I just think that for dual purpose, coilovers are overkill unless you are one of these guys.
    Well all I can say is .... Asked and Answered!

Agree I love my Comp springs and sway bars
    Rule12b and Rule12b like this.

HUGN*RDS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 V
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_D3 View Post
    HUGN*RDS send me a email at Greg.Eremian@d3groupinc.com and i will send you the instructions.
    Thanks I certainly appreciate it, I had the dealer install them with the rods, I'm happy with them so far.
    Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.