Road Course impression
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Road Course impression in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; My 1st outing: All stock. No alignment, no nothing. It's certainly not a Corvette in terms of handling, but the ...
    the blur is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Road Course impression

My 1st outing: All stock. No alignment, no nothing. It's certainly not a Corvette in terms of handling, but the car holds it's own on the road course. My Corvette definitely handled better. But the V is no slouch. I ran in comp mode, in regular mode, tour shock setting, and sport shock setting. The car really shines in comp mode with the increased steering "ratio", or the lowered amount of power assist.

I never got the car loose, sometimes a mild push. I don't think I was into the stability system, as I would have felt it kicking in. The factory tires are more impressive on the track than on the street. Once the tires heated up, they stuck very well. Certainly not a race tire, but more than enough stick for the car in stock form.

The motor is simply amazing, in every gear, in every RPM range. The car just pulls and pulls. I would never do anything to the motor. No reason to void the warranty.

The bad, (you knew this was coming).
    The base level seats are beyond pathetic. I brought mine used, so I couldn't get the Recaro's. My arms & legs hurt from holding myself in the seat. The Recaros look like a nice between the base seats, and a true race seat. However, on the 400 mile drive, the base seats are very comfy.

The gas tank is way too small. 6-7 MPG on the road course. I was refilling fuel way too often.

Another thing is head room. I have just enough head room with a helmet on. Actually not enough. I'd like more clearance for bumps. And the Recaro's look higher than the regular seats. So I'm not sure the Recaro's are the answer for head room.

All in all, I really love the car. It's perfect for a daily driver, and a weekend track event.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

Re: Road Course impression

Nice feedback I bought the base seats as well as I was wary of the racket / rocking that often comes from the Recaros. I'm hitting a road course in the next three weeks and will provide feedback afterwards as well.

Were you able to pull out the seatbelt all the way and have it retract/lock you in? What tire pressure did you run? I heard 45psi front and 40psi rear is a good starting point.

Cheers
    Chris

CJCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris CTS V Wagon View Post
    Were you able to pull out the seatbelt all the way and have it retract/lock you in? What tire pressure did you run? I heard 45psi front and 40psi rear is a good starting point.

Cheers
    Chris
    Sweet Jesus, where did you hear that?

Don't run that high cold, you'll potentially seriously do harm to your tires and maybe yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris CTS V Wagon View Post
    Nice feedback Were you able to pull out the seatbelt all the way and have it retract/lock you in? What tire pressure did you run? I heard 45psi front and 40psi rear is a good starting point.CheersChris
    The seat belt, I pulled on it upwards to tighten it up as much as possible. Not sure if it locked on track. 45-40 are hot pressures, not cold. I ran 3 lbs higher in the front, not 5. While I ran high pressures, because I didn't want to destroy my tires, it probably would have worked better with slightly lower pressures. But you can run 50psi according to the side wall. I was very happy with the tire wear, or lack of, on track. I did 200 track miles, and had track rubber stuck to my tires after every session, but once the track rubber came off, you can't really see any significant tire ware. If I really wanted too, I could have played with pressures all weekend long. But the fact is, I just relaxed and enjoyed the car.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Another thing is head room. I have just enough head room with a helmet on. Actually not enough. I'd like more clearance for bumps. And the Recaro's look higher than the regular seats. So I'm not sure the Recaro's are the answer for head room.
    agreed. Infact, I have 0 room with a helmet, I opted for a sunroof delete with the blue one, but even with that I'm ~ .5-1" away from touching the headliner. With a sunroof I had to have it open and turn a bit sideways to fit.

Disappointing to say the least for a midsize.

Quote Originally Posted by CJCTSV View Post
    Sweet Jesus, where did you hear that?

Don't run that high cold, you'll potentially seriously do harm to your tires and maybe yourself.
    Hot not cold

Read the sidewall. you can run that high cold.

Quote Originally Posted by the blur View Post
    Read the sidewall. you can run that high cold.
    Yup, I'm talking as a starting point though

IGraf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon

Great review of the track day experience - thank you the blur.

I'm greatly interested in additional input and experiences with tire pressure. I ran the Wagon at the Ridge (WA) a week ago and did experience excessive rolling over on the sidewalls on both front tires. We started with 36 psi (cold) and increased pressure for each run, ending up at 45 psi (hot). Even at that level, the fronts were rolling over onto the side wall by about 1/2 inch.

Interestingly, the Wagon came with Michelin Pilot Sport, not the PS2 most seem to have on their new cars. At this rate of sidewall abuse, I'll have the opportunity to switch to PSS after a couple more track days -)

Any further input/experience with proper tire pressure for the track is greatly appreciated.

Having said that, the car is quite impressive at the track!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I, as well as others, have been trumpeting for about 3 years that the front tire pressures need to be bumped up. I learned this on my very first track day. You'll scuff up the outer corners in just a couple of sessions. But, if you do, the PS2s stick and really shine...

As for base seats, I wouldn't want them for a run to the supermarket. Forget anything with turns. The seats in the V1 weren't great, but worlds better than the base seats. And in the V1, I was always adjusting my body around after every corner.

The Recaros let you focus on one thing: driving. Period.
    soon to V likes this.

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

flyingv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V 6MT

Hot tire pressures have a lot to do with driving style and the amount you push the car. On toyo r888's for the Cadillac challenge we start at 32 psi cold and have to lower from there sometimes.
    Just this last weekend at Willow Springs this topic came up in the driver's meeting for HPDE3 and the head instructor was looking for all of us, to keep pressures below 40 hot regardless of tire type.
    I agree lower pressures will cause more wear on the shoulder of the tire, but Is anyone expecting to run around a race track without wearing out their tires.....
    High pressures will cause the tire to loss massive amounts of grip on the edges of the tire as the tire balloons in the center, and make the car much harder to drive fast safely (ie, less tire is in contact with the track surface)

I've never noticed a loss in handling with the PS2s. Also, I spoke with a Michelin engineer at a Cadillac Driving Lab event and asked him about the scrubbing and running higher pressures. It's what he recommended as well...

flyingv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    I've never noticed a loss in handling with the PS2s. Also, I spoke with a Michelin engineer at a Cadillac Driving Lab event and asked him about the scrubbing and running higher pressures. It's what he recommended as well...
    I wouldn't consider the Cadillac driving lab the cutting edge development arena for this car. I would consider it a safe environment to excite people about the cars without damaging them or pushing them to hard (not in GM's best interest to have a bunch of people with little to no experience wad them up at the race track)

I would argue that the Cadillac challenge is an arena where the cars are being pushed above and beyond what GM ever intended them to do. We are actually measuring the benefits of our modifications in a real world scenario.

I also remember you arguing against the need for the differential cooler based on your experience, yet every competitive car in the challenge running decent tires has experienced the problem and had to add one.

Just my 2 cents.

IGraf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by flyingv View Post
    I agree lower pressures will cause more wear on the shoulder of the tire, but Is anyone expecting to run around a race track without wearing out their tires.....
    High pressures will cause the tire to loss massive amounts of grip on the edges of the tire as the tire balloons in the center, and make the car much harder to drive fast safely (ie, less tire is in contact with the track surface)
    In my experience, it's not so much about keeping the tires from wearing out, but about keeping them from rolling over so far that I started to take off the lettering on the side wall. And yes, I may have pushed the car a bit ... just a little bit -)

Quote Originally Posted by flyingv View Post

I wouldn't consider the Cadillac driving lab the cutting edge development arena for this car. I would consider it a safe environment to excite people about the cars without damaging them or pushing them to hard (not in GM's best interest to have a bunch of people with little to no experience wad them up at the race track)

I would argue that the Cadillac challenge is an arena where the cars are being pushed above and beyond what GM ever intended them to do. We are actually measuring the benefits of our modifications in a real world scenario.

I also remember you arguing against the need for the differential cooler based on your experience, yet every competitive car in the challenge running decent tires has experienced the problem and had to add one.

Just my 2 cents.
    Wow, you are wrong on all counts.

I've never argued against a diff cooler. I WANTED a diff cooler on my V, just not at crazy prices. I did say that having fresh fluid before a track day seemed to minimize frequency of the Hot Diff Light.

As for the Driving Lab, I only said I talked to an engineer there. I didn't refer to any driving there. My real world experience was with MY V being able to do whatever I wanted.

Also, the first one I went to in Nov '08, they let you drive as fast as you wanted as long as the instructor allowed. And he allowed me. You can ask OldRoadDawg, he was there...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.