Road Course impression - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Road Course impression in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I ran a 1995 Corvette for many years, thousands of track miles. There was no diff temperature probe. So I ...
    the blur is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Road Course impression

I ran a 1995 Corvette for many years, thousands of track miles. There was no diff temperature probe. So I never knew how hot it got problem solved.

I'd like to know the temperature range of the diff while running, and what temp causes the warning light.

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I know, I wish I had an idea. Since it happened a couple times at the end of a session, I wonder if its conservative and if I could've finished without issue...

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

I can't remember the temp offhand but it's listed here on the forum somewhere if you search.

quikag is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 White Diamond CTS-V Sedan, '10 Cyber Gray ZR1

I had a horrible experience with my first and only track outing with my '12 V automatic. I boiled the brake fluid, chunked the stock brake pads, and lost all pedal pressure and slid off the track within 10 minutes of the first session. I threw it into a spin saving the car from damage.

Of course, I track a ZR1, so I don't know how to drive easy on the track which contributed to the problem. If you are going to push the V on the track at anything over 50%, you need at least DOT 4 brake fluid and track pads IMHO.

Check out 5:30 of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmVEabf_Mvk

IGraf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by quikag View Post
    If you are going to push the V on the track at anything over 50%, you need at least DOT 4 brake fluid and track pads IMHO.

[/URL]
    I changed to racing brake fluid as is stated in the Owner Manual (section 9-6: "For competitive driving, it is recommended that the brake fluid be replaced with a high performance brake fluid that has a dry boiling point greater than 279°C (534°F). After conversion to the high performance brake fluid, follow the brake fluid service recommendations outlined by the fluid manufacturer.")

While the stock brake pads did smoke and smell extensively after the first session, they returned to normal after that and performed well.
    I did experience the dreaded diff temperature warning after roughly 20 min each session. That is truly the one serious concern/disappointment so far that may prevent me from using the V for extended track day duty.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

The front belts don't lock after pulling them out, just the rears. I know this after putting a child seat in recently many, many times. I read that someone twisted the front, and then it at least locked the lap belt. You can bolt a 5-point in, and have it pass tech, very easily. Since this differential temperature seems so sporadic, I'd get a laser temp sensor and check it out first. Maybe some sensors are bad/off.

jenlain is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '12 Vagon
    Motul RBF600 fluid and hawk dtc70 pads have been a good combo for me at the track.

I switched to redline fluid in the diff (stock weight) and make sure to change it after every 3-4 track days. I get the temp warning consistently, but fresh fluid should resist heat a bit better.

I'm running stock tires and stock drivetrain.

miamictsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I also hit the track last year for a few laps and the stock seats on my 09 V are the worst ever i have sat on a track. $18K Mazda 3 have better supporting seats then the junk in my car. I will not hit the track with these seats again as the pleasure of driving is simply zero if i have to hold for dear life in each corner. I also bought it used so i had no choice.

Yikes. I know I keep trumpeting the Recaros and lambaste the base seats. But it sucks that it has soured your enjoyment of the V...

jb_bgg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Black/Black V, Manual, Recaros, loaded

Dumb thermoswitch triggers the diff overheat message somewhere between 275-300*. Normal driving in my manual, diff oil temp averages about 125 - 150 depending on ambient and how long a drive. After a 20-25 minute track session @ Auto Club in Fontana, 90 degree ambient, my return oil temp post HX maxed out @ 180 or so.

Good synthetic oil is fine till 400F. I wouldn't get too worried. I'd switch to heavier gear oil before doing a diff cooler. And considering I'm not racing, I'd lift off the throttle a lap, give some point-bys, and then get back on it.

I'm hitting the track again with the factory tires. Have you guys been playing with tire pressures ?

I still say 37-39 hot on the rear, 41-43 hot on the front...

Arca500 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Head room is tough in a V it seems. I'm 6'2 and with a helmet, I had to drive with my head cocked just slightly. It bothered me until the adrenaline kicked in, and then, nothing else mattered.
    thebigjimsho likes this.

I run a low profile helmet. So helmets just have too much on top. I'm also 6'2", and I have about 1" of clearance. I'm also assuming you have the big sunroof. As far as pressures, I run very high pressures, and the car sticks like glue.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.