*Whst is the Maximum Safe Rev Limit
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, *Whst is the Maximum Safe Rev Limit in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I have seen several different values being posted around the net for the max safe Rev Limit. Exactly how high ...
    austin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~
    I have seen several different values being posted around the net for the max safe Rev Limit. Exactly how high can it be raised safely? I have seen a value of 6400rpm being used by several folks running stock "V's" with just a Tune and CAI and achieving very good results (2mph faster 1/4 mile speed). Is 6400rpm safe? Has anyone seen a "V" motor blow at 6400rpm? What did your tuner raise the limit to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x11oOliu-u8

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ptrd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: *Whst is the Maximum Safe Rev Limit

A reputable tuner would know, but it's safe to say the rev limiter is there for a reason. What's the purpose of wanting the higher revs if you aren't making more power at that point?

austin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~
    Quote Originally Posted by ptrd
    A reputable tuner would know, but it's safe to say the rev limiter is there for a reason. What's the purpose of wanting the higher revs if you aren't making more power at that point?
    True, but from what I have read and seen from dyno graphs the LSA does make power above the factory Rev Limiter. I guess the real question is drivetrain stability. Can a stock LSA drivetrain (springs, keepers & pushrods), handle 6400rpm shifts without grenading the engine.

I believe the factory Rev Limiter is set to 6200rpm, so I'm only talking about increasing it by 200rpm.

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

The stock engine makes peak power about 1-200 RPM below factory redline.

Can you raise the rev limiter and get by on OEM internals? You bet.

The question really is, can you run the engine at 6200-6500 for extended periods over the course of several years and - factoring in the natural fatigue life of ANY valve spring - how LONG can you do this before a valve hangs and you smack a piston?

This is a question that few people would want to wager money (or a warranty) on - but even having the springs replaced would come with limitations (ie, replacement schedules every 20K or 50K depending on manufacturer). Remember that the valve spring is also working against the mass of the valve (with that inertia increasing dramatically at higher RPM), as well as the effects of boost in the manifold and cylinder also changing the dynamics of resistance.

For someone who has a low mile street car, and gets one or two launches here and there, it's probably a non-issue over 200RPM (as the factory specs are likely conservative). But you have a heavy valve, boost and longevity to consider; so IMHO it's not something to take as cavalierely as others might. I would only talk to a cylinder head/engine builder familiar with the platform; many tuners are often making nothing more than educated guesses with little skin in the game.

ETA: For reference, the LS9 has titanium rods, hollow stem exhaust valves, titanium intake valves, forged pistons and a host of other differences (ignoring cam lobe profiles) to get another 300 RPM; the Z06 has similarly expensive parts for another 800 RPM (naturally aspirated) over the LSA. Things happen fast at 6500 RPM, and everything has finite fatigue life.

It's easy enough to change springs, but connecting rods, piston pins, etc are another consideration. Valvetrain harmonics and durability is big-money...

----------

ETA: I've asked this same question before, and the short answer is that there are very few people who know what a safe redline is; and they don't advertise the upgrade on their head/performance packages because you don't want to know how much it costs. I would love to hear about other enthusiasts running a 6500 RPM redline for years on the track and how it's held up; but so often the higher redline coincides with other mods, making success or failure hard to judge.
    GMX322V S/C and GMX322V S/C like this.

Ross L is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v

Guy on another forum speaks of turning his LSA bottom end 7500+ if I'm not mistaken...still going strong. If you're worried about hurting your car, don't mod it. Although I personally don't think 200 rpms will hurt it, at all. IMO of course.

Mr. LCP is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Making "more" power with higher revs is irrelevant. What you're doing is making much more power at those higher revs than you would be at much lower revs after you just had to shift (comparably) earlier.

For example, raising shift from 6200 to 6400 might put you at those RPMs from 100-103mph, where even if you aren't making 100% or more of your peak HP, you are making 98-99% of your peak HP. If instead you shifted at 6200/100mph into 4th gear, your RPMs probably drop to 4700 and rise only to 4850 by 103mph, where you are probably making 85-87% of your peak HP. If you figure HP in the 600+ range, for those 3mph, you picked up 75-80hp for those 3mph. Factor in similar increases at each shift. Those increases add up in a race, but the difference is not huge. Ideally, it would be nice to have enough RPM headroom in this engine to go WAY past 6200 (without power falling off dramatically) so that once you get out of 2nd gear, you're in the 95%+ of peak HP range for whole rest of way to maximum speed. That would be much better. Turbo motors are better at this shape of a powerband than supercharged motors. Having very closely spaced gears also helps a lot too.

Alternatively, it's easier, and the car will be faster, if you just make the supercharger spin faster and make even more power at 4700-4850rpm, than it is to extract more power from the 6200-6400rpm range. You can get big increases in power from 4700-4850 easily which will pay dividends all throughout the power band. A little more power from 6200-6400 pales by comparison, and is harder on the engine.

Purevil is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V
    I'm running mine up to 6700. It pulls hard all the way with just a CAI & 2.55" upper. It was explained to me that with the factory cams low lift, it's easier to get away with the revs on the stock springs. Just my 2cents

the blur is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I still don't understand why anyone would risk an $8000 motor for a few HP.

Blakester is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 cts-v wagon
    $8000.00. Good luck on that! In my younger day i used to run up an extra 500 rpm. Broke ring lands, bent valves, al kinds of interesting things. I now leave rpm's at factory setting, no more broken parts, still like to drag race though!

DiamondWhtV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Max safe rev limit is the point just before the engine craters.

Purevil is offline Cadillac Owners Member

LMFAO, Diamond!

As for me, if I did t want to push my car, I wouldn't have bought a V. I put 45,000 miles on my C6Z06 with Heads/Cam, CAI, and exhaust reving to 8K pretty much daily. The rev limit is a super safe place to protect dumbasses from blowing their shit up and getting warranty work. Just my 2cents

GMX322V S/C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i

Quote Originally Posted by Random84 View Post
    The stock engine makes peak power about 1-200 RPM below factory redline.

Can you raise the rev limiter and get by on OEM internals? You bet.

The question really is, can you run the engine at 6200-6500 for extended periods over the course of several years and - factoring in the natural fatigue life of ANY valve spring - how LONG can you do this before a valve hangs and you smack a piston?

This is a question that few people would want to wager money (or a warranty) on - but even having the springs replaced would come with limitations (ie, replacement schedules every 20K or 50K depending on manufacturer). Remember that the valve spring is also working against the mass of the valve (with that inertia increasing dramatically at higher RPM), as well as the effects of boost in the manifold and cylinder also changing the dynamics of resistance.
    The dynamic forces go up as a function of the square of the RPM...

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    On the LSA, I'm more concerned with maximizing power to redline. If it was a NA motor, then I'd figure out how to raise the redline...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

Quote Originally Posted by Purevil View Post
    I put 45,000 miles on my C6Z06 with Heads/Cam, CAI, and exhaust reving to 8K pretty much daily.
    I call BS on this without youtube video of you holding it at 8K for a few seconds. Please also mention what, exactly, was done to the heads? I mean, if you're running a full shaft-mounted rocker setup or something then maybe... But OEM LS7 components become unstable at around 76-7800 RPM with the relatively conservative factory cam lobe profiles- meaning valve float, bad spring harmonics and a very real risk of grenading the motor. Solid valves (ie LSA) and forced induction make that drop precipitously in the CTSV, so again I find it hard to believe you're running your otherwise stock LSA to 6800+ without issue for any duration of time.

There is so much wrong with your cavalier attitude (and passing it on as advice) regarding "safe" RPM ranges... it's just mind boggling. I'd really like to see video.

miamictsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

My tuner raised the limiter to 6400 rpm but my shift points are at 6200 rpm. He did it so i do not bounce of the rev limiter if i push the car. I am making max 626WHP at 6000 rpm. No issues for the last 2 years. I have not tracked the car yet.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.