AIR RAID or D3 intake
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, AIR RAID or D3 intake in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Whats up boys... just put the corsa exhaust on my wagon (black tips)... Now I want to add the intake. ...
    RobbE is offline Cadillac Owners Member

AIR RAID or D3 intake

Whats up boys...
    just put the corsa exhaust on my wagon (black tips)... Now I want to add the intake. One thing i am cautious about is warranty being voided due to the super charger an adding an intake, and the other is the nasty check engine light.

I dont want to get the car tuned, as it is brand new.. But i put intakes on all my cars....

what do u guys think?

air raid or D3 ??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Arca500 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    I personally like the look of the D3 intake but, it seems that you can find a little better deal on the AirRaid intake. Performance wise, my guess is they are pretty much the same. D3 does have awesome hands on support and they frequent this forum and are actively involved here so, for me, I'd go D3.

2013CTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013CTSV

Re: AIR RAID or D3 intake

Air Raid. I got pretty insane results from it. Just posted a thread.

Kramer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Sedan

I purchased AIRRaid aswell due to the posts from this forum!

blaine321 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Intake and Exhaust wo/tune is pretty risky. Not sure about the LSA, but with any other Supercharged car... this is a BIG NO NO. Exhaust is usually okay, but intake usually is a bad idea on a stock tune.

HUGN*RDS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 V

I run a D3 intake with a custom 3" exhaust and it went well with the stock tune but at times I did notice (besides lots of power!) some odd idle blips and the occasional hick-up (no more annoying than the supercharger rattle, need a solid isolator) which isn't major by any means but the drivability was good and I didn't see any obvious signs of overworking the stock tune.

Crystal Red CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V CRM Coupe (Airaid Intake & Corsa), 2011 Z06/Z07

Quote Originally Posted by blaine321 View Post
    Intake and Exhaust wo/tune is pretty risky. Not sure about the LSA, but with any other Supercharged car... this is a BIG NO NO. Exhaust is usually okay, but intake usually is a bad idea on a stock tune.
    Stock tune has enough flexibility to compensate for the Airaid, so no issues there. My Airaid and stock tune get along together very well!

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Quote Originally Posted by blaine321 View Post
    On this car it's OK, at least with the Airaid. Proven time and time again over the five years of the life of this model. Yes, a tune optimizes things, but the stock tune compensates after some time and driving.

To answer the OP's question, Airaid is generally preferred by current V owners because it requires no special installation, and costs less. The D3 intake requires an additional piece to control AFR IIRC. I'm pretty sure the D3 guys will be by this thread soon to explain their intake a little better as they are an active and responsive vendor on this forum.

HUGN*RDS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 V

Quote Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
    On this car it's OK, at least with the Airaid. Proven time and time again over the five years of the life of this model. Yes, a tune optimizes things, but the stock tune compensates after some time and driving.

To answer the OP's question, Airaid is generally preferred by current V owners because it requires no special installation, and costs less. The D3 intake requires an additional piece to control AFR IIRC. I'm pretty sure the D3 guys will be by this thread soon to explain their intake a little better as they are an active and responsive vendor on this forum.
    Both intake companies advertise them differently...Airraid claims no tune is needed (which is pretty correct) and D3 says they require a special programming tune (AFR) but I found that it works well with my stock setup and tune. Other people find the same to be true with the D3 not requiring a tune.

Greg_D3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by RobbE View Post
    Whats up boys...
    just put the corsa exhaust on my wagon (black tips)... Now I want to add the intake. One thing i am cautious about is warranty being voided due to the super charger an adding an intake, and the other is the nasty check engine light.

I dont want to get the car tuned, as it is brand new.. But i put intakes on all my cars....

what do u guys think?

air raid or D3 ??
    Robbe,

2009-2010 do not need a tune, 2011-early 2012 absolutely will need a tune, later 2012-2013 can be hit or miss . The factory tune in the 2011- early 2012's can not compensate for the increased amount of air flow that our intake provides.

Prdnme is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by HUGN*RDS View Post
    I run a D3 intake with a custom 3" exhaust and it went well with the stock tune but at times I did notice (besides lots of power!) some odd idle blips and the occasional hick-up (no more annoying than the supercharger rattle, need a solid isolator) which isn't major by any means but the drivability was good and I didn't see any obvious signs of overworking the stock tune.
    That's bold statement without data logging.

with todays day and age and how advanced these computer systems are I wouldnt worry about a tune with your intake. These things compensate. I never once in my life has any issues when it came to adding an intake to an otherwise stock car.

austin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~
    Quote Originally Posted by 2013CTSV
    with todays day and age and how advanced these computer systems are I wouldnt worry about a tune with your intake. These things compensate. I never once in my life has any issues when it came to adding an intake to an otherwise stock car.
    Not sure about that one...... The D3 intake has caused lean issues and trouble codes for folks here on the board requiring a tune.

The Airaid seems to be the best solid trouble free choice. Others here on board have taken the Airaid one step further and have upgraded the Airaids filter to the larger K&N RF-1044 and are experiencing incredible results.

To each his own.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...on-2011-a.html

That's absolutely silly to me that an intake would cause any sort of issue. IMHO the fact that the air raid has no issues yet the d3 does says which one to buy in itself.

khachikyan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V COUPE

what is the correct AIRRAID part number, model number for the V series engine? or is it the same intake compatible for both regular CTS and CTS-V models?

link?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.