Is AT V accelerate faster than MT V? - Page 5
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 61 to 74 of 74
Like Tree22Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Is AT V accelerate faster than MT V? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by thebigjimsho As someone who drove an automatic V at Monticello before it was available to the public, ...
  1. #61
    Stillborn's Avatar
    Stillborn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 DW 4DR,AT,Recaros,metco 2.5,RX c-can,AEM-A/F, 634hp,642tq
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    tri-state
    Age
    45
    Posts
    762

    Re: Is AT V accelerate faster than MT V?

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    As someone who drove an automatic V at Monticello before it was available to the public, the ignorance falls back on you...
    so with 4hrs (max) seat time you have a clear and definitive opinion? did you leave it in drive? did you manual mode it? c'mon jim,
    i'm not here to debate personal opinion, as thats never going to win a debate. facts do. it took me well over 6mo to get comfortable in my car
    and i'm no slouch. anyone who drives a demo car for half a day and thinks he's got it all figured out is clinically insane. i know for a fact at the track day events they wont let you turn off the "nannies",...so your argument is poor from the get go.

  2. #62
    rayjoedef is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe...
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    194

    Re: Is AT V accelerate faster than MT V?

    .....check-mate

  3. #63
    RippyPartsDept's Avatar
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    13,991

    Re: Is AT V accelerate faster than MT V?

    .... king me!
    rayjoedef and rayjoedef like this.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

  4. #64
    thebigjimsho's Avatar
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the barrel of a gun...
    Posts
    49,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillborn View Post

    so with 4hrs (max) seat time you have a clear and definitive opinion? did you leave it in drive? did you manual mode it? c'mon jim,
    i'm not here to debate personal opinion, as thats never going to win a debate. facts do. it took me well over 6mo to get comfortable in my car
    and i'm no slouch. anyone who drives a demo car for half a day and thinks he's got it all figured out is clinically insane. i know for a fact at the track day events they wont let you turn off the "nannies",...so your argument is poor from the get go.
    This was at the Cadilllac Driving Lab in November of '08. We had options in registration of auto or manual. I chose auto for the sole reason of getting an opinion on it.

    I was, for a fact, allowed to go into sport mode and competitive driving mode. We had instructors and I was allowed to go as hard as I wanted to. I used the shift buttons for everything.

    As for opinions, I got more than enough seat time. More than enough. And I was VERY complimentary of the automatic. I did a whole write up on the V and event. It's in here somewhere.

    What you don't get is that I've driven over 1.3 million miles in my lifetime. About 1 million in automatic Town Cars. There is no auto I've ever driven that engages my senses like a manual. This is not an argument on wine. My opinion on an auto V does not change after more than a couple of hours behind the wheel. It's a philosophical difference that can not be changed.

    I want to drive, not just hang on...

  5. #65
    Stillborn's Avatar
    Stillborn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 DW 4DR,AT,Recaros,metco 2.5,RX c-can,AEM-A/F, 634hp,642tq
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    tri-state
    Age
    45
    Posts
    762

    Re: Is AT V accelerate faster than MT V?

    why is is it so hard to acknowledge the fact the auto in manual mode is better than a clutch laden manual? shifts firmer, faster, and shorter, with the
    exact same rev/engine control of a standard clutch. you said you played with the buttons on the wheel, i tried them maybe a dozen times and think
    they are more of a joke than an experience, i may point out to people it has paddle (s2t) shifters for the coolness of it all, but they are numb in the driver experience you and i both need to feel happy in the seat. i use exclusively the slap shift feature on the center stack and it beats any manual i ever driven/owned
    in the 4 wheel category. suffice it to say i was myself surprised that i could be so engaged with an auto, but it happens to be the real winner here
    as 2 gates (up/dwn) is seamless and effortless, no need to "find" a gear it just does it with a slight nudge of the lever and gives (imho) even more
    control over the experience as you dont need to wait for the foot to engage the slack/slop in the chain of events. at the end of the day, as long as you're happy
    and feel good about being stubborn then thats all that matters....and as far as shutting off the nannies, oh no you didn't, you may not turn off the tc at any event with Cadillac owned/sponsored vehicles. i'm sure others here who have gone to said events will verify this "fact".

  6. #66
    stl_ls1gto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V wagon M6, 2011 GMC Sierra CCSB 6.2L, 2004 GTO
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    Posts
    278

    Re: Is AT V accelerate faster than MT V?

    I asked the driver of the Nurburgring record about the auto record run....he said he only used the auto for the run because he had been at the ring working on the auto calibration for the previous week before the run and was the most familiar with it at that time....otherwise he would have used a manual car. It was not because the auto is faster.

    This was at a Cadillac V Performance Driving Academy 1 day event at Autobahn Country club last fall.

    I love the auto in my supercharged GTO that I drag race - only because it is a Performabuilt Level 3 4l60 with a high stall torque converter and is great to drag race. But if you complain about changing clutches every 3 years, than either you are putting out way more power than the clutch was designed for, or you cant drive a stick. Also, if you are putting out alot more power and have all torque manangement turned off, be ready to be changing transmissions every 3-4 years with the auto....clutches are cheaper.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stillborn View Post
    surely you must be kidding? maybe you are hung up on a horse and buggy mentality and cant
    comprehend the fact that no matter how bad you want the standard to be king of the hill (think 1950's-90's)
    the auto is now holding that spot and will for the rest of 4 wheel history. i love a stick for the same reasons
    everyone else does, but to win bragging right/races you'll need an auto. (not to be associated with the auto trannys of the 50's-90's)

    facts list:
    1. auto has 3 modes of driving options. (auto/normal, sport, & "MANUAL MODE"- (paddle and slap shift) minus stiff calve muscle)
    2. auto is faster to react and doesnt miss shifts. it's computer controlled, and therefore it's ALWAYS going to be faster than humans can react.
    3. new age tech has arrived,... and the auto is the leader in this realm.

    note: the Nürburgring record breaking run was done in an auto because the auto is more consistent. period.

    and lastly for all you stick huggers, the only thing you truly miss by not having an auto is being in the winners circle. lol

  7. #67
    thebigjimsho's Avatar
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the barrel of a gun...
    Posts
    49,494
    I've driven the auto in anger. It's great. The manual is better.

  8. #68
    quikag is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 White Diamond CTS-V Sedan, '10 Cyber Gray ZR1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Age
    37
    Posts
    265

    Re: Is AT V accelerate faster than MT V?

    I got you all beat. I got to drive both a manual tranny and automatic tranny CTS-V at Circuit of the Americas (the brand new F1 track in Austin).

  9. #69
    Stillborn's Avatar
    Stillborn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 DW 4DR,AT,Recaros,metco 2.5,RX c-can,AEM-A/F, 634hp,642tq
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    tri-state
    Age
    45
    Posts
    762

    Re: Is AT V accelerate faster than MT V?

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    I've driven the auto in anger. It's great. The manual is better.
    if slower is better than yes. heinz over hunts.


  10. #70
    thebigjimsho's Avatar
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the barrel of a gun...
    Posts
    49,494
    Better is better.

  11. #71
    Stillborn's Avatar
    Stillborn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 DW 4DR,AT,Recaros,metco 2.5,RX c-can,AEM-A/F, 634hp,642tq
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    tri-state
    Age
    45
    Posts
    762

    Re: Is AT V accelerate faster than MT V?

    less is more.

  12. #72
    thebigjimsho's Avatar
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the barrel of a gun...
    Posts
    49,494
    Why ask why? Try Bud Dry.

  13. #73
    RippyPartsDept's Avatar
    RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Age
    34
    Posts
    13,991

    Re: Is AT V accelerate faster than MT V?

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Why ask why? Try Bud Dry.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

  14. #74
    Stillborn's Avatar
    Stillborn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 DW 4DR,AT,Recaros,metco 2.5,RX c-can,AEM-A/F, 634hp,642tq
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    tri-state
    Age
    45
    Posts
    762

    Re: Is AT V accelerate faster than MT V?

    ^^^ lmao.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting