Is AT V accelerate faster than MT V? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Is AT V accelerate faster than MT V? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Manual trans takes the auto roll/highway racing. From a dig, the auto should best the manual in most all cases ...
    stl_ls1gto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V wagon M6, 2011 GMC Sierra CCSB 6.2L, 2004 GTO

Re: Is AT V accelerate faster than MT V?

Manual trans takes the auto roll/highway racing. From a dig, the auto should best the manual in most all cases unless you get a perfect launch in the manual without bogging it or blowing the tires away.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by Random84 View Post
    Well this thread went downhill fast.
    I drove the auto at Monticello in Nov of '08. I liked it a lot. It's an excellent automatic. I just wouldn't own one if there was a manual variant...

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stillborn View Post
    ^^^ lol all the auto guys beating the p*ss out of the manual owner.
    It's hard to overcome 85/15 ratio. Of course, the majority is always right...

Pphilthy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    The auto has proven to be faster on the drag strip and the road course. On the street, auto is also faster... I've raced manual V with over 50whp more than I'm running and I still beat him - 99% of manual drivers don't have the skill they think they have.
    Stillborn and Stillborn like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Pphilthy View Post
    The auto has proven to be faster on the drag strip and the road course. On the street, auto is also faster... I've raced manual V with over 50whp more than I'm running and I still beat him - 99% of manual drivers don't have the skill they think they have.
    Hey guys, I'm a 1 percenter!

VMoose is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Stealth Blue Metallic CTS-V Wagon

There is always going to be a tuned car, auto or manual, that is faster than the one you are driving. The auto, while conveniently quick, felt like it wasn't the full experience. Pressing buttons on the back of the steering wheel and moving a lever to the right just didn't do it for me. Three pedals and a real shifter are what I am looking forward to.

rayjoedef is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe...

Another reason I prefer the auto, other than quick shifts, is the ability to concentrate on steering feel. To me, there's nothing more satisfying than feeling the mechanical grip and tracking of a perfectly aligned car. By having the car in auto, I am able to appreciate that rather than if I was rowing...Plus, the V's steering is one of the best in the business.

embassured is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

As another MT-V owner and to back-up BigJim, if you're even asking the question then a manual is not for you. You know when you want to row your own gears. You appreciate the directness, the control, the throttle blips, and the rev of the engine as you move from reverse into first. What's even better is when someone gets in your car, sees a stick and thinks, "WTF" - which, of course, inevitably leads to an entire story about the "V" itself.

Want to make sure your wife doesn't drive your car? Get a manual. Want to shame parking attendants and valets? Get a manual. Want your kid to shift while you're driving? Get a manual.

Want to enjoy rush hour traffic? Get an auto and a Valium.

Good luck,
    Eric

pat2t2f is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I also have the manual tranny. I did not buy a race car. I bought a high performance street car and I wanted the whole experience which includes shifting the gears.
    This is a great country because we have choices and the General did a great thing by giving us options to choose. I like what I have and I'm happy that you like what you have.

Pphilthy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Again, topic was which accelerates faster, not which one makes you feel better... Auto is the clear winner, no denying it accelerates faster. I would love to see a like modded manual, with a guy that's local and thinks he's a 1 percenter, meet me down to Etown or Atco.. Any takers?
    Stillborn and Stillborn like this.

Luna. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Pphilthy View Post
    Again, topic was which accelerates faster, not which one makes you feel better... Auto is the clear winner, no denying it accelerates faster. I would love to see a like modded manual, with a guy that's local and thinks he's a 1 percenter, meet me down to Etown or Atco.. Any takers?
    The question was asked and answered. The auto is quicker at launch, that's it. It's geared differently & it's heavier. I've seen some AT Vs launch like hell at the track and I've yet to see a MAN V launch anywhere near what an AT V can do; it can be a beast launching a manual well/consistently (especially a highly modded one). "Accelerates faster" isn't accurate. I'll gladly race any AT V from, say, 70mph in a manual (stock vs. stock, of course). Any takers?

quikag is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 White Diamond CTS-V Sedan, '10 Cyber Gray ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    People who appreciate driving go with the manual. People who think they do go with the auto...
    Uh, what about those of us who already have a manual tranny car? I love my manual ZR1 and my '12 V automatic. The auto is actually pretty darn nice. It's not a dual-clutch, but it shifts quick and firm, the paddle shift is somewhat responsive as long as you anticipate the slight delay from pulling button and getting the upshift or downshift. Then, auto mode is nice and comfy just loafing around town. I'm glad I got the automatic, but I even more glad Cadillac stiff offers a manual for those who choose to row their own gears.

Crystal Red CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V CRM Coupe (Airaid Intake & Corsa), 2011 Z06/Z07

Quote Originally Posted by quikag View Post
    Uh, what about those of us who already have a manual tranny car? I love my manual ZR1 and my '12 V automatic. The auto is actually pretty darn nice. It's not a dual-clutch, but it shifts quick and firm, the paddle shift is somewhat responsive as long as you anticipate the slight delay from pulling button and getting the upshift or downshift. Then, auto mode is nice and comfy just loafing around town. I'm glad I got the automatic, but I even more glad Cadillac stiff offers a manual for those who choose to row their own gears.
    Yes! Same with my Z06!

ExpatMedic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by V locity View Post
    Here's a great video...
    Hey, that car looks familiar!

This is simple. If you plan on drag racing, buy the Auto. If you want a fast car to 'drive' and troll around, buy the manual.

I will always prefer a manual, but I was forced to buy the Auto in this car. I had a goal, and that was to have a reliable 10 second sedan. Given that there isn't a single manual V in the 10s, I figured the choice was simple. Mod for mod, the auto V's are simply faster in the 1/4 mile - often considerably so. When I raced a friends 565rwhp V with my 575rwhp Mustang (manual) and he put 3 1/10ths and 5mph on me, I knew there was something special about the auto V's.

I still prefer a manual, but I've found a nice way to keep the withdrawals at bay is to use the auto's shifter in manual mode.....kinda sorta the same, but not really. lol.

Stillborn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 DW 4DR,AT,Recaros,metco 2.5,RX c-can,AEM-A/F, 634hp,642tq

once you use the manual mode in the auto for a solid amount of street driving seat time,...it's better that the manual, as it is crisper and fail/fool proof. the only thing you're missing is a cramped left calve muscle. i rev match up-shift and down, and can modulate the throttle to break the tires loose at will with no need for changing clutches every 2-3 yrs. and the sport mode for hi-way use is as good as it gets for ALWAYS being in the right gear at the right time. the manual is (sad to say) outdated horse and buggy tech. it's for those that need to drag the past into the future,...just ask Washington D.C.

rayjoedef is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe...

agree stillborn....it's no double clutch but with the tune and mods I have, in sport-mode, shifts are crisp and I get the exact gear I want every time....There is no way someones shifting as fast as my auto while keeping the r's up in the sweet spot....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.