Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Auto or manual which one you have

8K views 51 replies 35 participants last post by  pVu 
#1 ·
i have a cls 55 Mercedes right now an in the process of wanting to get a cts v 2011.. i drove a 2013 coupe auto an i love the handling an style of the car .performance was very impresseve .. i need some of you guys help i know i want the sedan but stuck
on if i want the auto or manual . i know i want more control over the car an play around with it an i know with an auto there only so much u can do. i want to know if u have either or do you wish you change ? how do it feel to drive a manual sedan ??

#31 ·
Manual for me, it took me 3months to find one. I test drove both the auto and manual before buying. Surprisingly the auto wasn't bad to drive at all, but doesn't do it for me like the manual. IMO a car like this manual is the only way to go. Sure the auto is quicker off the line and at the track but from a roll that auto azz is mine :lildevil:

#32 ·
06CTS-nV said:
Manual for me, it took me 3months to find one. I test drove both the auto and manual before buying. Surprisingly the auto wasn't bad to drive at all, but doesn't do it for me like the manual. IMO a car like this manual is the only way to go. Sure the auto is quicker off the line and at the track but from a roll that auto azz is mine :lildevil:
Automatic for me........ Just press and go!! No worries when crawling and sitting in very heavy traffic.. Can easily slap over to sport mode when feel the need to shift... My 2004 CTS-V was a six speed manual.. Hated the clutching in traffic, hill starts etc. Just my opinion. :)

#34 ·
I personally was really disappointed with an auto I test drove. It was a used sedan and it just felt unresponsive and disconnected. I really dislike torque converters but even the Porsche PDK doesn't do it for me. The manual is heaven though. Connected, fast, notchy...couldn't be happier.

How are you doing hill starts with the manual and electric ebrake? The electric ebrake is a low point for me.

#35 ·
I love my manual, but I burnt the clutch on a major hill. I didn't use the E-brake. I just do what I normally do, rolling backwards, and then releasing to go uphill. I couldn't believe the odor of the clutch. Stunk like hell. But nothing happened to it. Still shifts fine. Next time on a major hill, I will use the E brake.

#42 ·
Thanks for the ebrake heads up. Didn't know that til I read your answer and happened to drive off with the ebrake engaged. It just auto disengaged and I was off. I immediately thought 'Ohhhhhhhh, well that's not so bad...' I've read you can intermittently pull the switch while driving if you were doing an ebrake turn too. Now it's a bit more reasonable. I still like ripping a manually operated handle though.

#48 ·
I didn't read through all of the responses, so I don't know if this has been covered off or not... but here's my take.

I went with a manual tranny in my 2011 V, because I love being in control of the car and it's so much more fun to drive a manual. The manual tranny in the V is also one of the smoothest shifting I have ever experienced as well. It's a pleasure to drive.

However, I'll probably never beat the auto V's at the dragstrip since I can't do much better than a 2.0 60 foot on street tires, which bugs me... and there have been a number of times when I've been stuck in traffic and wished I didn't have to keep pushing the damn clutch pedal up and down.

I'm also stuck in a situation now where I have recently gotten married, and my wife can't (and doesn't want to) drive a manual. We have a 3-month old baby so it's either trade in the V for an auto tranny vehicle (like a 2014 Cherokee SRT), or get another car for the wife (which means another parking spot, more insurance, yada yada.)

So looking back, and it pains me to say this, I wish I would have gotten an auto. Sigh.

#51 ·
I'm also stuck in a situation now where I have recently gotten married, and my wife can't (and doesn't want to) drive a manual. We have a 3-month old baby so it's either trade in the V for an auto tranny vehicle (like a 2014 Cherokee SRT), or get another car for the wife (which means another parking spot, more insurance, yada yada.)

So looking back, and it pains me to say this, I wish I would have gotten an auto. Sigh.
Or teach your wife how to drive a manual. Pawn it off by promising a European vacation at some point in the future and note that the vast majority of European rental cars are manual transmission cars. The autos are much more expensive.

Also, with a baby in the house, selling the CTS-V for a GC SRT8 is sure to cost a good deal of $$ whereas her learning how to drive a manual is free.

And if all else fails, the GC SRT8 is still an amazing vehicle to have to 'settle' for. :) I think every car guy needs a ridiculously fast SUV.

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.