Opportunity for possible free labor, recommendations on how to use it? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Opportunity for possible free labor, recommendations on how to use it? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; ...
    sykb47l is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Coupe

Re: Opportunity for possible free labor, recommendations on how to use it?

Here’s the problem with your question. None of these mods are things they have to do while replacing the supercharger. The supercharger comes as one part so pulley, spacer, idler, intake, heat exchanger, ect would all be extra work. Maybe your dealer is ok with mods, but remember its GM's call to replace major items not your dealer's. If your power train warranty is important to you don’t mod or get everything in writing. If the dealer can't tune your car guess what becomes the end all; the tune blew up your engine, the tune destroyed your transmission....so on. If you have it in writing there’s no he said she said. And it has to be very specific; The following modifications will not void any part of the warranty…..regardless of the issue…..VIN #....signed…..dated. If they won’t do it you got your real answer. If they do, frame it and sleep well.

On the other hand, perhaps your dealer is willing to do the work for free to keep you happy. If that’s the case you need to ask them what work they will do. Since they specialize in factory replacements they might not have the tools needed to (example only) press on an aftermarket pulley correctly.

It’s been most people’s experience that speed shops are cheaper when it comes to labor charges than dealers are. So if they are going to charge you to do any of the mods you might want to shop around. Especially if you plan to do more mods in the future. If your engine blew because and you didn’t have a warranty would you go to the dealer for a replacement or a speed shop? I wouldn’t.

Would I use a dealer for installs? NO! Free or not I wouldn’t use a dealer as my performance parts installer. I’m curious to know if they installed all this and you blew your engine leaving the dealership what they would do with GM. Would they replace the engine out of pocket? Or would they deliberately try to deceive GM by putting it back to stock and trying to make a claim. If the later how can you trust that they would do the right thing when it comes to your car?

Now to answer your original question. If the dealer is willing to do any of this work for free go all out. Get as much as you can done for free but think about all of the above. Sounds like you have a good relationship with them. If they are charging you for anything, shop around.

kwilson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by sykb47l

Would I use a dealer for installs? NO! Free or not I wouldn’t use a dealer as my performance parts installer.
    ^^+++111

I don't even let them wash my car....lol

jb7952 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1974 Eldo conv., 2010 SRX, 2011 CTS-V Wagon

Re: Opportunity for possible free labor, recommendations on how to use it?

Quote Originally Posted by sykb47l View Post
    Here’s the problem with your question. None of these mods are things they have to do while replacing the supercharger. The supercharger comes as one part so pulley, spacer, idler, intake, heat exchanger, ect would all be extra work. Maybe your dealer is ok with mods, but remember its GM's call to replace major items not your dealer's. If your power train warranty is important to you don’t mod or get everything in writing. If the dealer can't tune your car guess what becomes the end all; the tune blew up your engine, the tune destroyed your transmission....so on. If you have it in writing there’s no he said she said. And it has to be very specific; The following modifications will not void any part of the warranty…..regardless of the issue…..VIN #....signed…..dated. If they won’t do it you got your real answer. If they do, frame it and sleep well.

On the other hand, perhaps your dealer is willing to do the work for free to keep you happy. If that’s the case you need to ask them what work they will do. Since they specialize in factory replacements they might not have the tools needed to (example only) press on an aftermarket pulley correctly.

It’s been most people’s experience that speed shops are cheaper when it comes to labor charges than dealers are. So if they are going to charge you to do any of the mods you might want to shop around. Especially if you plan to do more mods in the future. If your engine blew because and you didn’t have a warranty would you go to the dealer for a replacement or a speed shop? I wouldn’t.

Would I use a dealer for installs? NO! Free or not I wouldn’t use a dealer as my performance parts installer. I’m curious to know if they installed all this and you blew your engine leaving the dealership what they would do with GM. Would they replace the engine out of pocket? Or would they deliberately try to deceive GM by putting it back to stock and trying to make a claim. If the later how can you trust that they would do the right thing when it comes to your car?

Now to answer your original question. If the dealer is willing to do any of this work for free go all out. Get as much as you can done for free but think about all of the above. Sounds like you have a good relationship with them. If they are charging you for anything, shop around.
    Thank you for your reply and for actually answering my question!

Typically, I would never take my car to a dealer for anything other than warranty work either. This is very much an exception for me. The dealer I'm looking at does much more than just warranty work. They do restorations, have a huge body shop where they do everything from insurance work to custom paint jobs. The mechanical shop not only does warranty work, but also all sort of custom and high performance work.

That said, they aren't a speed shop, but they have the know how and I feel that this is the rare case where I am better off having the work all done at one place. If something does go wrong, there is no finger pointing. If they blow the motor, I believe they will make it right. I won't have to fight with them about if the tuner shop did something.

The way the law works, as I suspect you know, if they can't prove the aftermarket part caused the failure, then they have to warranty it. Of course there are dealers that try to blame failures on any aftermarket modification. I once had a chevy dealer try to tell me that my repairs likely wouldn't be covered because I'd put a suspension lift on my truck - after the radio amplifier blew. I laughed in his face. They fixed it without any issues. The Cadillac dealer is quite mod friendly. If the mods cause a problem, I don't expect them to take the blame. However, if something else goes wrong, I won't have a problem. And I wont' have a problem if their installation causes the issue either.

I've had many bad experiences at dealers, so I don't expect everyone to believe that mine would be any different. I know how they've treated me in the past and I trust them and that's all that matters. There's not another place that I trust anywhere near here anyway. So, while it's maybe not ideal, I feel it's my best option for now.

I'm going to get the car baseline dyno'd next week at Autothority who I just found out is a Hennessy shop and is literally in walking distance from my house. I'm going to give some consideration to them as well, but at this point, I've been leaning away from the Hennessy stuff for multiple reasons.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.