Used CTS-V Coupe...missing cat converter.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Used CTS-V Coupe...missing cat converter. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Just purchased used V. Has Stainless Works exhaust but previous owner removed catalytic converter. It won't pass Texas emissions test ...
    ctsvdallas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe

Used CTS-V Coupe...missing cat converter.

Just purchased used V. Has Stainless Works exhaust but previous owner removed catalytic converter. It won't pass Texas emissions test without. Any tips or ideas of how much for parts and labor to add new one? Sorry if question seems silly but I'm admittedly naive to car repairs and performance mods. I just know how to drive the beast. Thanks.

ForumRunner_20130323_181909.png

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

V locity is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan A6, 730 RWHP Stock airbox & stock exst

Re: Used CTS-V Coupe...missing cat converter.

Have you tried to get it inspected? It should pass as long as there's no error codes & the o2 sensors are in place...?

DCV
    DCV is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

Some states actually look under and in the car to see if the cats are present. I'm guessing you can get a mid pipe that has high flow cats in it. But, you will need a tune, assuming your tuned right now for no cats. Running that tune with cats is not a good thing.

RoketRdr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Eldorado ESC; 2012 CTS-V Coupe

In Texas they are required to physically look to see if the cats are installed. Some shops do and some shops don't.

dons is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V Coupe, 2007 Escalade ESV

Quote Originally Posted by V locity View Post
    Have you tried to get it inspected? It should pass as long as there's no error codes & the o2 sensors are in place...?
    I live n The Dallas area and have a V with no cats, in fact this is my second V with no cats, and they always pass inspection. Most shops I have been around do not look under the car. Go to your area shops that specializes in performance work and ask them where they take their cars. Should not be a problem. Good luck. DonS

matt116 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS V Blackdiamond coupe
    Should be able to get a catted y pipe from SW that fits right on there.

V locity is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan A6, 730 RWHP Stock airbox & stock exst

I'm in Tejas too... No lookie under the car... $40 gamble worse case

Thanks for the advice. Relocated to Texas last year from Chicago and never owned a car with a modified exhaust. I hadn't tried to get it inspected. Car came from VA and hadn't passed inspection there according to the dealer. I'd read online that it's illegal to operate a car here in TX without cats so just figured it would never pass inspection. I plan to first take it to a shop to make sure the car is tuned correctly. (For Texas folks) Called ADM but Andy says he's backed up for few weeks. Will most likely stop by 21st Century as I pass by them on the way to the office every day.

I'm a newbie here and wish I could contribute more. Thanks for taking the time to respond. This forum was key in helping me decide to purchase the car. I had the 2005 V also. Found it on swapalease. Took over the last 18 months of the lease. This V2 is light years ahead however. And a serious head turner!

Side note: Any meets in D/FW area?

DCV

Did you buy it from 29 Auto outlet? I bought my V from them too. I saw that they had one like your describing on their lot and I wondered how they can sell a car with no cats. They advertised that it had no cats and full exhaust.

DCV....yes I did. Melissa and Seth. They had two V coupes. You must have purchased the other. Small world. Yeah the more I research I find most states have pretty strict rules in place for dealers and repair shops in regards to cats. Gonna just try my luck on the inspection. Sounds like it won't be a problem.

DCV

I bought a V sedan from them in December. I know that in DC they would have noticed and failed the inspection if I bought a car with no cats. But if your tune can stop and CEL and is okay on the OBD reader then maybe you will be ok in Texas. I traded a Nismo Z to them for the V. They move lots of cars at their place. I liked buying from them, no BS.

johnnytaboo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 cts-v coupe
    Actually, I bought the other V they had. I was wondering who was having my dream color combo shipped to Texas. Nice pick up!

Ha. Small world. Almost goes to show that just about anyone with a V is also a member of this forum. That's great to know. I wonder what percentage of Cadi sales is due to this forum.

Man I looked around for weeks to find the right car. Sounds like everyone has had good experiences with 29 Auto Outlet. They were definitely straightforward and easy to work with. Was gonna buy from Cadi dealer in Edmond, OK but they were idiots.

Enjoy the V.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.