Difference between LSA and LS9 - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Difference between LSA and LS9 in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Sounds purdy....
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Sounds purdy.

Ross L is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v

Re: Difference between LSA and LS9

Quote Originally Posted by Da V-Man View Post
    FYI - the LSA uses powdered metal rods, not forged.
    not to split hairs but, the powdered metal process is a type of forging. Very strong, just doesn't sound as good as titanium

Da V-Man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Actually, it's not. Forgings start off with a piece of metal that is heated to high temps and is then pounded into shape using dies. The grain structure of the metal is maintained. Powdered metal starts off with a blend of metallic powder that is placed into a form and submitted to extreme pressure. It is then sintered to below the melting point, which combines the metal molecules. The only thing they have in common is an elevated temperature step.
    Club Malibu and Club Malibu like this.

"Forged powder-metal connecting rods link the crankshaft and pistons. They are forged under extreme pressure from alloy metals reduced to powder, rather the melted to liquid, for a balance of low mass and high strength"

from the GM powertrain website describing the LSA
    Ross

Really? Your're quoting from a GM marketing website to prove your point? I hardly think their misuse of the word 'forged' constitutes any form of validation.

Go to Wikipedia and search on the terms 'forging' and 'powder metallurgy'. It should be very enlightening.

I don't wish to engage in a pissing contest with you, so this will be my last post on the subject.

Yes, I am quoting from GM. I don't know enough about forging first hand to use my own knowledge Lol. No pissing contest here.

topend22 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 607 RWHP 627 TQ 2013 SRX, 1998 Seville STS

I have read in several magazines that the LSA has forged rods as well as the GM site. I know nothing about forging, but I couldn't see GM flat out lying?

turbol15 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97 eldo,2011 cts-v

@mike forged rods are in the lsa. titanium are in the ls9. the price difference is insane between the cost of the titanium rods and forged rods.

RoketRdr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Eldorado ESC; 2012 CTS-V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Da V-Man View Post
    Really? Your're quoting from a GM marketing website to prove your point? I hardly think their misuse of the word 'forged' constitutes any form of validation.

Go to Wikipedia and search on the terms 'forging' and 'powder metallurgy'. It should be very enlightening.

I don't wish to engage in a pissing contest with you, so this will be my last post on the subject.
    Good because you're completely wrong and have no idea what you're talking about. And...REALLY??...you're using WIKIPEDIA??? I deal with metallurgy every day of my life. If you think the OPINIONS on wikipedia are more accurate than the R&D done by GM engineer's and that GM "misused" the word 'forged' then YOU are the one that needs a lesson in validation. Yeah...please don't post again.

HUGN*RDS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 V

so I think I saw this answered but would an ls9 block bolt in the place of the lsa block? what additional things would be needed then? the rods sound strong regardless, so the head and rest of the rotating assembly make the difference, and the blower.

that forging/powdering difference sort of seems like a paint/powder coat argument. pretty cool stuff I read up on with the Wikipedia citations (see the bottom of most Wikipedia pages).

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Much of what what does to the LSA and driveline in the Cadillac was to keep it quiet and/or civilized. An LS9 will bolt in nicely...

Betiwin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Coupe

Not "true forged rods". Sinter forged is completely different than a true forged I beam like in the 03/04 cobras.

V2 BRAWN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon white A-6

I don't expect to get this back on track but I was looking at the differences as it relates to making horsepower not durability. I know the LS9 has a bigger supercharger and a bigger cam. I was wondering about heads, injectors, heat exchangers, exhaust manifolds, etc. If you care to pick it back up.

----------

Thanks. This contains most of what I was looking for.

Can you upgrade the supercharger and cam to LS9 specs?

What of exhaust differences?

I believe the ZR1 makes 11 psi stock, vs our 9psi, so add upper pulley(12 psi) and tune and you're making ZR1 power(only weigh about a 1000lbs more lol). I'm sure this will start a debate, but I've seen some reports that show the "dry sump" oiling system(ZR1) requires MORE hp to operate compared to a wet sump. Injectors are the same, heads(don't know).

Quote Originally Posted by V2 BRAWN View Post
    I was wondering about heads, injectors, heat exchangers, exhaust manifolds, etc.
    Heads for both engines flow essentially the same, but use different valves. Injectors for both engines are the same, but the LS9 uses a little more fuel pressure at WOT. The LS9 uses a dual-brick IC that has more surface area for increased charge cooling. The LS9 uses a dual-pass heat exchanger. The first pass through feeds a reservoir inlet. The reservoir oulet feeds the HX second pass through, and then on to the IC. The LS9 uses individual-runner exhaust manifolds that merge at the collector. The LSA uses exhaust manifolds where the runners merge in a common plenum.
    turbol15 and turbol15 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.