2.5 upper pulley - bearing failure? SC noise video
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, 2.5 upper pulley - bearing failure? SC noise video in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So back in September I had a 2.5 upper pulley installed along with solid isolator, ported snout and tb. I ...
    Houdini is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

2.5 upper pulley - bearing failure? SC noise video

So back in September I had a 2.5 upper pulley installed along with solid isolator, ported snout and tb. I didn't notice any strange noises for the first month or two but now I get a fairly loud grinding/rattling noise that sounds like it is coming from the front of the supercharger/snout area. It doesn't exactly sound like bearing failure noise to me but what do I know? Hopefully you guys can provide some input.

With the belt off, I get no noise. When I spin the pulley by hand I feel tension for an quarter turn or so every 180 degrees almost like something is gliding against something it shouldn't. Pulley doesn't wobble or anything and shaft is flush with the hat face.

Sorry for the choppy motion on the video. When I move the camera toward the back of the supercharger you can hear the sound better but the noise definitely sounds like it is coming from the front. Is this typical bearing failure or are the rotors hitting something?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

miamictsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Re: 2.5 upper pulley - bearing failure? SC noise video

I had the same issue. Mine was one of the front SC bearings making the noise not the snout bearing. No one have these so i had to ship to Cali to get it replaced by Magnuson. If you disassemble your SC and just send them the case it is around $140 including labor. If you sen them the whole SC it is around $500.

Damn lol. What do you think was the cause of yours? Isolator too tight when installed? I wish those new magnuson heartbeat kits for the Vs were out...I may think about upgrading.

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

We have those bearings here, I replace them every time a core swap is done. No need to have magnuson do them....

----------

They are less than 100 bucks usually installed.

topend22 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 607 RWHP 627 TQ 2013 SRX, 1998 Seville STS

I may need them ASAP. please call me at 586-260-6646

Ok so now I'm not sure what to do. I'm in the middle of taking the supercharger off for possible bearing replacement and just to see what is going on. After taking the lid off, I inspect what I can see of the rotors and all looks fine. I spin the pulley by and and it stills binds slightly (greater tension) for a quarter turn every 360 degrees. I start spinning the pulley by hand in opposite direction and after maybe 50 spins or so the binding/tension slowly stops. It no longer binds when I spin it by hand either way now and the tension feels absolutely consistent all 360 degrees. It feels smooth. What could be going on here? Any ideas? I'm debating whether or not to continue removing the snout and sc now.

P.S. I'm glad I took the hat off and saw that my dual valve catch can is doing its job. Not much oil and the brick was clean.

Well it seems to be a snout bearing issue. I pulled the snout and the pulley still binds/grinds at one spot every turn. The solid isolator looked fine and was snug but not too tight at all. The rotors turn fine and are quiet with no binding that I can feel.

In this video you can hear the noise it makes at the same spot every turn. I can easily feel that spot (tension) as I spin the pulley by hand. You can also see how bad the spring isolator ate up the shaft for the first 16-17k miles before I switched to solid.

If I can't get the original installer to fix, where should I send it for repair? What is my best option since I can't do it myself?

miamictsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I had Jesse do the work as he might be one of the few who can get you these bearings. I have not had any issues since.

topend22 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 607 RWHP 627 TQ 2013 SRX, 1998 Seville STS

check out this post, the job does not sound that hard with these instructions. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post3254726

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.