Can you get 700whp w/o adding a cam or NOS?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Can you get 700whp w/o adding a cam or NOS? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; All the posts I have seen seem to suggest that the standard CAI, pulleys,HX, injectors, headers and exhaust, porting SC ...
    Moparman4444 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Can you get 700whp w/o adding a cam or NOS?

All the posts I have seen seem to suggest that the standard CAI, pulleys,HX, injectors, headers and exhaust, porting SC snout and CNC heads, with a tune, will NOT get you into the 700 whp range w/o a cam.

I am looking for bigger horespower but don't want a lumpy cam no matter how imposing it sounds. The car needs to be relatively quiet and smooth.

I was thinking about a larger blower but have heard that that makes the car less streetable unless you add the cam.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

Re: Can you get 700whp w/o adding a cam or NOS?

The maggy kits we had would hit that goal with stock engine, but you need cold air kit, injectors, fuel mods, heat exchanger, and other things to make it work. However, I would not suggest that power level on stock parts.

matt116 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS V Blackdiamond coupe
    Jessie
    What stock parts need to change to run 700 hp?

any engine can run 700hp, it is just a question of how long. Some last 500 miles, some last 10s of thousands of miles... Every engine and its components are different and will have different longevity.

I chose things a bit differently as I like them to last and be a lot stronger than what is needed so it eliminates any issues in the future for new mods.. With the prices of engines for replacements, I just suggest pulling out the stock stuff and going with new strong stuff that is made for the higher horsepower.

An example, If a guy comes to me and wants 700hp, I could easily just add that power to the stock engine, and it will make that power. But the right way is for the stock motor to come out, I build him a 434 or 427 engine for cheaper than what he can get a new crank, rods, and pistons for his original engine for... So it makes sense to just upgrade.

If he is set on only working with the stock engine, then rods, and pistons are the needed changes at least.
    Then you have headers, camshaft, and head work to make the power easier and requiring less boost to achieve that goal.

There are a lot of ways to hit horsepower goals. Not all are the best way..

Jesse

OK you have my attention. The power level should be fine considering the limited use and duration of power application.

What is a "maggy kits" ?

BTW I still have the CAI, pulleys, and tuner you sold me for my other car.

Most cars that want 700rwhp thru us where as follows.

434 or 427 engine with ls7 heads. Block was either iron or aluminum, customer choice and same price. Aluminum was ls7 block.
    magnuson mp2300 blower kit that fits under STOCK hood.
    Heat exchanger kit.
    Jabsco intercooler pump.
    1000cc stock modified injectors.
    lower 9.5 pulley balancer kit.
    Dual boost a pump kit.

To add more horsepower is just more boost via pulley swaps or nitrous at that point.

SecretWeapon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Sedan, M6, Silver/Ebony

I tapped 700 whp with 2.85/10 pulley set, ported tb, snout, and sc, New Era cai, ID850 injectors, Stainless Works exhaust, cam, Alky Control meth, and stock heads. A cam swap is a must to hit that power level without nitrous.

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

ZR1 cam adds about 25RWHP and drives / sounds like stock. That would help

Are you auto or six speed manual?

rayjoedef is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe...

Jesse,

What is the highest hp/tq you would recommend with stock block and internals?....thx

cbluerock is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS-V
    Its hard to say whats the max HP these motors can take before you need to upgrade the internals. i think Wait4me answered it best in this thread. Also, if your an Automatic, your drive train, transmission, etc .. Will probably need to be beefed up.

I'm 550 at the wheels with 9.55 lower (Innovators West/Metco combo), ARH Long Tubes w/no CATS, Air Raid CAI, new plugs and wires, and Tune and for a daily driver - it's super fast and all I need. It's hard enough to get 305/30/19 Nitto Invos to hook up now....

I even add Torco to every tank to increase total octane to each tank and protect myself against any knock/detonation - because I drive my car like I stole it !!!!!! (Stuff is only $85 for a case and last me 3 months at a time)

I plan on getting a HX, larger IC pump, and larger IC reservoir before it gets warmer out. I need to start looking who sells the best.

Quote Originally Posted by rayjoedef View Post
    Jesse,

What is the highest hp/tq you would recommend with stock block and internals?....thx
    This number has changed as I have been learning this exact car since 2008, I started observing failures on cars in the high 600s back then and still to this day.

My Exact hp limit I feel is safe if all things are done properly and tune is good, is 620-630 RWHP. I have remained at that limit of thinking for over 1.5 years now, as all data still shows this on what im tracking.

rayjoedef is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe...

Jesse,

How high boost level are you comfortable in making that hp?? 14psi tops?

Luna. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V

Where do you live Moparman?

Im in Wisconsin getting ready to get the car back on the road as soon as the snow melts.

I trust Jesse's experiance but also factor into the equasion all the other members making 650-700 w/o shortblock modifications. I would be comfortable with heads and a mild cam if necessary but don't want to increase the idle or have a lumpy idle. I also didn't want to spend $20,000 on a complete build.

Quote Originally Posted by rayjoedef View Post
    Jesse,

How high boost level are you comfortable in making that hp?? 14psi tops?
    With the stock blower yes, 14s, 15s, I feel comfortable with that. Most of the reason why I build the 434 ci engines is, I can make the same power and more but with half of the boost. An example, the 700rwhp v with the stock blower setup is only making 9psi of boost, but making 700hp..

Or 650 rwhp with 8-9psi and smooth idle as good as stock... Any time I can make the target horsepower with less boost needed is always a plus in my eyes.

----------

Depending on where you go, 20k is not needed. heck 10k isn't needed at some shops...
    rayjoedef and rayjoedef like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.