Traction Control question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Traction Control question in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I'm a new member here, just purchased a new 2012 CTS V Coupe, 6-speed manual. I'm an old school drag ...
    Trainman SRT-10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS V Coupe, 6M

Traction Control question

I'm a new member here, just purchased a new 2012 CTS V Coupe, 6-speed manual. I'm an old school drag racer (66) and have not had a car with "Traction Control". I was at a test and tune the other day (not with my CTS V, but with my SRT-10 Ram) and there was a gentleman with a CTS V Sedan automatic. He said he just pushes the TC button twice, so I tried that today in my car and it read "TC off, Stabilitrac Competition mode". Here's where I get confused, I was asked to drive a freinds 2012 45th Anniv Camaro (6-speed and a built LSX 427 supercharged) and he said to hold the TC button down for 10 seconds to turn everything off (which I did), and I turned 10.74 @135mph. I hold down the TC button for 10 seconds in my car and it reads "TC off, Stabilitrac off". So for drag racing purposes am I to assume it is best to hold the TC button down and turn everything off? Any help will be appreciated as I have not raced my CTS V yet (I just had shoulder surgery Wednesday(right side) and it will be a few months before I am able to power shift properly.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ENVIOUS V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Radiant Silver CTS -V, 1987 Buick Grand National

Re: Traction Control question

What are the different Traction control/ stabilitrack modes?

1. Traction Control and Stabilitrack On- Default each time you start your vehicle
    2. Press button once: Traction OFF/ Stabilitrack ON
    3. Press Again within 5 seconds: Competition Mode -Traction OFF/ Stabilitrack less governed
    4. Pressing and holding the button for about 5 seconds from the ON postiion of systems will turn both OFF.
    And let the tire shredding begin

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Unless you will get different tires and want to practice a lot maybe turn it all off. When I wanted some baseline runs, I left it all on and got my best times with street tires. With it off, all I did was spin.

Luna. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Trainman SRT-10 View Post
    I hold down the TC button for 10 seconds in my car and it reads "TC off, Stabilitrac off". So for drag racing purposes am I to assume it is best to hold the TC button down and turn everything off? Any help will be appreciated as I have not raced my CTS V yet (I just had shoulder surgery Wednesday(right side) and it will be a few months before I am able to power shift properly.
    I recall a few videos/articles talking about this and the clear concensus was to turn T/C off (obviously), but leave Stabilitrac on. One story I recall was where some guy in a Vette followed someone who had spilled a bunch of trans fluid within 75' or so of the starting line, but it went unnoticed (for reasons I can't recall off the top of my head). Well, when he launched, then subsequently hit the fluid, the car responded by attempting to go sideways, headed for the wall. The driver credited Stabilitrac for saving his bacon...

cruiser68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)

As one that tracks my V, I'll offer my opinion. I use the two taps to shut of TC and Stabilitrac in Comp mode. This will let me powerslide, donuts if I want, pretty much anything I want but it is almost impossible to get the car spinning. Pretty much lets me have as much fun as I want without spinning circles on the track. As I consider myself an intermediate track driver, I want that little extra insurance. If I was a seasoned track driver, I would probably leave everything off.
    BigDog001 and BigDog001 like this.

BigDog001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Black Diamond V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by cruiser68 View Post
    As one that tracks my V, I'll offer my opinion. I use the two taps to shut of TC and Stabilitrac in Comp mode. This will let me powerslide, donuts if I want, pretty much anything I want but it is almost impossible to get the car spinning. Pretty much lets me have as much fun as I want without spinning circles on the track. As I consider myself an intermediate track driver, I want that little extra insurance. If I was a seasoned track driver, I would probably leave everything off.
    Completely Concur!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    I've had perfect amounts of wheelspin with T/C on. It's also bogged.

2012 CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Cadillac CTS-V

My car feels like its not going with the traction control on sometimes (from a roll on) and then if i hit it with everything off from 40 mph there will be wheel spin but I control it and the car feels much faster for sure.. The car has intake tune and upper pulley, wonder if the traction control on and the tune has something to do with the lack of performance. Its not bogging though I know how it feels when it bogs cause of too much wheelspin.

the blur is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Time to read the owners manual.

What is reading the owners manual going to do for me? I will not find my answer in the owners manual, I was hoping some other V owners with similar mods to mine might have had an issue like mine. It almost feels as if my car is going into some kind of limp mode but my check engine light is not coming on.
    Quote Originally Posted by the blur View Post
    Time to read the owners manual.

the blur is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 CTS-V View Post
    What is reading the owners manual going to do for me? I will not find my answer in the owners manual, I was hoping some other V owners with similar mods to mine might have had an issue like mine. It almost feels as if my car is going into some kind of limp mode but my check engine light is not coming on.
    I started reading the owners manual last night. It says not to rev engine when downshifting !, and it talks about a 1-4th skip shift, which my used 2009 does not have. Maybe the previous owner disabled it.

I have an automatic and I dont rev it when I downshift but I do sometimes keep my foot on the gas when I downshift. My car never had a previous owner. I just want my car to consistently run good but sometimes when I mash the pedal it doesnt seem like other times and I think a big part of this has to do with my traction control being on versus it being off. Anyway I will talk to my tuner and see what his thoughts are on this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by the blur View Post
    I started reading the owners manual last night. It says not to rev engine when downshifting !, and it talks about a 1-4th skip shift, which my used 2009 does not have. Maybe the previous owner disabled it.

I talked to the people at D3 and he said the best way to drag race (for my purposes, M6) is to hold the button down and turn everything off, then leave the shocks in standard mode (not sport). I have a 6speed coupe , 2012 and I will be going out to Famoso Raceway on April 14th (Sunday) for a test and tune. I am in Bakersfield, Ca and the strip is about 20 miles outside of town. Hopefully some more of you SoCal Cadillac owners can come out and meet. I have made a few acceleration runs on the street and the car feels really strong. I know the launch will be the toughest part, but I have been drag racing since the mid 60's and really only raced manual transmissions, I think I can power shift with the best of them, so with a good launch I hope to run a very low 12 or possibly a high 11 if I get lucky. Car is stock (no CAI or anything) , as I want to get a baseline before I change anything. I'm guessing my first mod will be DR's. I have a friend with a 2012 CTS V sedan, A6, AirAid, tune , lower pulley, DR's and he ran 11.70 @ 120 two weeks ago.

Here is a video of me shifting my SRT-10 Ram a couple of weeks ago (11.71 @117.15) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...eMhlfiTPg#t=0s

Nice shifting!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.