Wait4me HX
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 5 Post By wait4me
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Wait4me HX in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; What's your opinion on this HX? I have a chance to buy one cheap. How much of a difference will ...
    nosonyxctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V COUPE

Wait4me HX

What's your opinion on this HX? I have a chance to buy one cheap. How much of a difference will this make on my car? Any input will be much appreciated?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

Re: Wait4me HX

Thicker cores are harder for air to flow thru them without being forced by fans.. So it takes a higher mile per hour for each exchanger to become useful. The thicker the core, the higher mile per hour that is for it to start flowing good air thru it. I chose the thickness for a reason. It allows you to also use the stock exchanger in series as well and makes the total system a Triple pass setup meaning the fluid goes thru fresh air 3 times before it makes it back to your intercooler.

The purpose is simple.
    Low mph, the stock exchanger is VERY efficient. It is thin and air flows thru it very easily. Also the Stock fans PULL air thru it any time they are on. Which is usually low mph and sitting at idle. Which help bring final temps down quicker than others.

No thicker heat exchanger will have airflow going thru it as there is nothing pulling the air thru UNLESS the vehicle is moving. The only thing saving them is exchanger fluid volume change. They add more fluid to the system so it takes longer for a temp change to happen. But once it does catch up, then it is NO benefit. "this doesn't take long in hot weather"

So the stock exchanger in place with your aftermarket is the way to go.

We also set up the thickness so you can make ours flow at idle by adding three VA31-A101-46A fans. This is the best so far that I have tested out of every single other unit out there.

The tests to prove who has the best set up is pretty simple. It is a timed heat test to show how quick the system can recover. Ours does VERY VERY good at recovery which is again why we have it set up like we do..

To perform the test you must first let the car idle in summer heat for about 10 minutes until the car is very hot and you see the iat2 temps start to level off and no longer climb. At that point, floor the car for 4 gears and let out and come back down to 0mph. Log how high the iat2 temps climbed during that test, then ALSO log how long it takes for it to come back down to the initial temperature of iat2 right before you floored the car while you are sitting at idle. "this shows you real life city driving and shows the real efficiency when it comes to drag racing/sitting in line, and street use"

Test 2. do the same thing, but after you do your heat soak, go down the highway at a steady speed of 20mph until temps stop changing on your iat 2. Then do the same test for 4 gears then go back down to 20mph and count how long it takes for it to return.

Test 3 50mph...

you get the picture. I tried all thickness cores, I tried different core brands, types, Everything I did was for a reason.

With the 3 fans in place temps never move much over ambient. Autozone sells a push in core fan turn on switch that is temperature activated for cheap, we usually use those to control the turn on when the exchanger temp hits 90.

So, the best setup for all worlds of driving is to have a setup like we do. It provides cooling for idle and for moving.

Another reason for the thickness is there is plenty of room to run 3 fans on the core for those that wanted even more cooling capability.

Moparman4444 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Nice write up.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on comparison between your HX and the new super chiller system.

topend22 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 607 RWHP 627 TQ 2013 SRX, 1998 Seville STS

Wait for me.... I would like to hear your thoughts on the super chiller system as well.

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

Superchiller would be fine, It does what it is supposed to do. Better than any normal exchanger could ever do. An exchanger without the help of a superchiller can only get to ambient air charge temperature. It cant go cooler than that. Where as the superchiller is actually refrigerating the water causing it to drop well below ambient.

matt116 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS V Blackdiamond coupe
    I have a super chiller installed and I can not get iat's over 110 degrees with trying really hard. Getting the system and having it installed was a hurdle but am very happy with it.

nosonyxctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V COUPE
    Well am buying one from a friend on another forum. Jesse and tips on install? Is it easy? Do I need anything besides the actual exchanger?

Betiwin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Coupe

Yes which kit did you use? RX or other one?

kj217 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by wait4me View Post
    Thicker cores are harder for air to flow thru them without being forced by fans.. So it takes a higher mile per hour for each exchanger to become useful. The thicker the core, the higher mile per hour that is for it to start flowing good air thru it. I chose the thickness for a reason. It allows you to also use the stock exchanger in series as well and makes the total system a Triple pass setup meaning the fluid goes thru fresh air 3 times before it makes it back to your intercooler.

The purpose is simple.
    Low mph, the stock exchanger is VERY efficient. It is thin and air flows thru it very easily. Also the Stock fans PULL air thru it any time they are on. Which is usually low mph and sitting at idle. Which help bring final temps down quicker than others.

No thicker heat exchanger will have airflow going thru it as there is nothing pulling the air thru UNLESS the vehicle is moving. The only thing saving them is exchanger fluid volume change. They add more fluid to the system so it takes longer for a temp change to happen. But once it does catch up, then it is NO benefit. "this doesn't take long in hot weather"

So the stock exchanger in place with your aftermarket is the way to go.

We also set up the thickness so you can make ours flow at idle by adding three VA31-A101-46A fans. This is the best so far that I have tested out of every single other unit out there.

The tests to prove who has the best set up is pretty simple. It is a timed heat test to show how quick the system can recover. Ours does VERY VERY good at recovery which is again why we have it set up like we do..

To perform the test you must first let the car idle in summer heat for about 10 minutes until the car is very hot and you see the iat2 temps start to level off and no longer climb. At that point, floor the car for 4 gears and let out and come back down to 0mph. Log how high the iat2 temps climbed during that test, then ALSO log how long it takes for it to come back down to the initial temperature of iat2 right before you floored the car while you are sitting at idle. "this shows you real life city driving and shows the real efficiency when it comes to drag racing/sitting in line, and street use"

Test 2. do the same thing, but after you do your heat soak, go down the highway at a steady speed of 20mph until temps stop changing on your iat 2. Then do the same test for 4 gears then go back down to 20mph and count how long it takes for it to return.

Test 3 50mph...

you get the picture. I tried all thickness cores, I tried different core brands, types, Everything I did was for a reason.

With the 3 fans in place temps never move much over ambient. Autozone sells a push in core fan turn on switch that is temperature activated for cheap, we usually use those to control the turn on when the exchanger temp hits 90.

So, the best setup for all worlds of driving is to have a setup like we do. It provides cooling for idle and for moving.

Another reason for the thickness is there is plenty of room to run 3 fans on the core for those that wanted even more cooling capability.
    Jesse,, i live in middle east,, can you arrange for sending me the fans and all required hardware as per your recommendation?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.