2009+ Cadillac CTS-V Lowering Springs w/IMAGES - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree8Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, 2009+ Cadillac CTS-V Lowering Springs w/IMAGES in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by jwbhole This looks like a great modification. I am taking delivery of one of the last Thunder ...
    TWD3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 CTS-V Coupe, '09 Escalade

Re: 2009+ Cadillac CTS-V Lowering Springs w/IMAGES

Quote Originally Posted by jwbhole View Post
    This looks like a great modification. I am taking delivery of one of the last Thunder Gray ChromaFlair (if not the last built) CTS-V Wagons this weekend. Red calipers (way hard to get supposedly), black wheels, factory black chrome grill, six-speed, Recaros, pretty much everything. I now regret ordering the sunroof, since I'll be tracking this car. Not sure I am actually going to sell my E39 M5 or Benz Wagon (the Cadillac was kind of intended to replace both cars, but now I am thinking this wagon could be worth money 20 years from now and maybe I should use it lightly and for the track.) In any case, I think the lowering springs will be great, but I do need to be able to take my wife out to dinner, and she has complained about my more aggressively modified cars over the years. Had a Maxima with a Tokio spring and shock kit in the early years and it handled great, but was bouncy/jerky on modest bumps. How does the car ride with this D3 lowering kit? I like that the shocks GM licenses to Ferrari are retained...wouldn't want to give them up. Any help would be appreciated. Also, plan to go with Corsa Axle back sport exhaust. Is that the right choice?
    I've got a CTS V coupe with Corsa Axle back sport exhaust and its not too loud (from the cabin anyway). Like you I don't want the car to sound like a bomb with the rough road feel of a shifter cart. That's why I'm pretty much sold on the D3 progressive rate springs which allow the magnetic ride suspension to function as stock. I'm also thinking I'll keep the sway bars stock. In the past I've found beefy sway bars make the ride rougher on irregular road surfaces. Perhaps some of the other guys can weigh in on this? One thing you may also want to check out is D3's chassis bracing (suspension section on D3's website). Compared to my Dinon modded '99 BMW M Coupe, the CTS V's handling is somewhat vague and definitely not as precise as my old beamer. That said it's a far superior freeway cruiser / GT with a LOT more power. I'm hopeful the combination of springs with a stiffer chassis will bring the car closer to the BMW's telepathic ability to communicate where the car is in relation to its limits (fun factor) while maintaining the V's smooth quiet ride.

For me the V is a sports car / GT first. My primary goal is to maintain the Vs good manners while improving road feel and fun factor. Since you intend to track your car, you may wish to take its absolute performance further. The real question, how to get there and still keep your wife happy

Karch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 TG sedan, 6A,LPE 650, and a few more mods.

Don't forget, when you are comparing to your old M coupe, this thing is something like 4200# or so. What was the M? Weight makes a huge difference.
    Rule12b and Rule12b like this.

Rule12b is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Sedan

This looks like a great modification. I am taking delivery of one of the last Thunder Gray ChromaFlair (if not the last built) CTS-V Wagons this weekend. Red calipers (way hard to get supposedly), black wheels, factory black chrome grill, six-speed, Recaros, pretty much everything. I now regret ordering the sunroof, since I'll be tracking this car. Not sure I am actually going to sell my E39 M5 or Benz Wagon (the Cadillac was kind of intended to replace both cars, but now I am thinking this wagon could be worth money 20 years from now and maybe I should use it lightly and for the track.) In any case, I think the lowering springs will be great, but I do need to be able to take my wife out to dinner, and she has complained about my more aggressively modified cars over the years. Had a Maxima with a Tokio spring and shock kit in the early years and it handled great, but was bouncy/jerky on modest bumps. How does the car ride with this D3 lowering kit? I like that the shocks GM licenses to Ferrari are retained...wouldn't want to give them up. Any help would be appreciated. Also, plan to go with Corsa Axle back sport exhaust. Is that the right choice?
    Before my car went to coil overs, I had the D3 springs. They were fantastic. I had the same situation you had with my better half. She hated my M3 when I went to KYB's. However, on the V, these springs eliminate what wallow there is (which she hates) and really improve overall feel. I don't know how far back you can search my posts but I raved about them at the time. Probably the best mod I did before becoming a total track junkie. I highly recommend them. ZERO rubbing, even with my widened OEM set up, by the way.

jwbhole is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon ThunderGray, Six Speed

Thanks guys for the feedback. Looks like D3s will be a good way to go. I'll try first with the stock sway bars. I never lowered my E39 M5 because of ride concerns. So we'll see how this one goes.

RobbE is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks guys for the feedback. Looks like D3s will be a good way to go. I'll try first with the stock sway bars. I never lowered my E39 M5 because of ride concerns. So we'll see how this one goes.

im keeping a close eye on this.....we have the same car. Lol. Who has the last TG 6speed wagon built is still up for debate, but its one of us! I ordered 20" wheels already so I'm waiting to see how the fit before I get the d3 springs. I love that they retain the stock suspension and just make it a little lower....

Post a pic when you have them on the wagon....

P.s. you and I think alike my man.... I ordered the corsa sports as well... ( black tips).

I love this car.

TheDarkKnight is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    My sedan lowered with comp springs. Great ride, only issue is I'm getting a check suspension system code on dash

2013CTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013CTSV

any issues or concerns with these springs I should be aware of? Does it throw anything off on the car? handling ride performance all around? I dont want to put them on if they are going to have an negative impact.

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Hello,

Please note that our springs are designed to work in conjunction with all features on your vehicle. Ride quality is considered subjective, however the customer feedback that we have gotten was great in terms of ride quality. The handling improvements are fantastic and will instantly be noticed. You will not have a negative impact with the D3 competition lowering springs installed on your vehicle.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by 2013CTSV View Post
    any issues or concerns with these springs I should be aware of? Does it throw anything off on the car? handling ride performance all around? I dont want to put them on if they are going to have an negative impact.

----------

If you are getting a check suspension system code, make sure the mag ride rods are installed properly and everything is hooked back up accordingly. Sometimes if you leave the clip that attaches to the top of the strut assembly off, it will throw the light. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
    My sedan lowered with comp springs. Great ride, only issue is I'm getting a check suspension system code on dash

TheDarkKnight is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Design
    Hello,

Please note that our springs are designed to work in conjunction with all features on your vehicle. Ride quality is considered subjective, however the customer feedback that we have gotten was great in terms of ride quality. The handling improvements are fantastic and will instantly be noticed. You will not have a negative impact with the D3 competition lowering springs installed on your vehicle.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

----------

If you are getting a check suspension system code, make sure the mag ride rods are installed properly and everything is hooked back up accordingly. Sometimes if you leave the clip that attaches to the top of the strut assembly off, it will throw the light. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac
    I fixed it Greg! Called you guys and then went back and re checked everything. No code now!
    Rule12b and Rule12b like this.

lite-em_up is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-v, 2012 CTS-v sedan

Looks great ! I was just about to ask if anyone had a pic of a sedan with D3. Love it, thanks for the post.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.