Need Help Guys. Intercooler coolant is Low. I have added more and it keeps dropping.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By wait4me
  • 1 Post By Kmajecki
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Need Help Guys. Intercooler coolant is Low. I have added more and it keeps dropping. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I have added more and it keeps dropping below the cold fill line. I understand the system only holds 2 ...
    topend22 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V, 607 RWHP 627 TQ 2013 SRX, 1998 Seville STS

Need Help Guys. Intercooler coolant is Low. I have added more and it keeps dropping.

I have added more and it keeps dropping below the cold fill line. I understand the system only holds 2 Qts. When i first bought the car from the dealer the level was low and they filled it up and now 8 months later, its low again. Any ideas? Is this normal? could it be evaporating? Anyone with similar issue? My question is where the heck is it going???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

Re: Need Help Guys. Intercooler coolant is Low. I have added more and it keeps droppi

They may not have bled the intercooler from the factory. I have seen it ALOT.

There is a small valve on the top on the driver side of your factory exchanger. It is the size of a 3/8s ratchet head. Take off the plastic cover on the front of your engine bay on the bumper, Then remove the 2 10mm screws, then take out the push pins, that will give you enough room to barely fit your hand in there to loosen it, Then when you do that, have someone fill the res until you see a solid stream of fluid come out of the little valve on the side, then tighten and reinstall everything.

IF it still disappears, then you have a leaking internal heat exchanger core inside the lid of your supercharger. I have seen that too. You can re weld the seam, or just take it in for warranty if you trust the dealer.
    Club Malibu and Club Malibu like this.

Re: Need Help Guys. Intercooler coolant is Low. I have added more and it keeps droppi

Quote Originally Posted by wait4me View Post
    They may not have bled the intercooler from the factory. I have seen it ALOT.

There is a small valve on the top on the driver side of your factory exchanger. It is the size of a 3/8s ratchet head. Take off the plastic cover on the front of your engine bay on the bumper, Then remove the 2 10mm screws, then take out the push pins, that will give you enough room to barely fit your hand in there to loosen it, Then when you do that, have someone fill the res until you see a solid stream of fluid come out of the little valve on the side, then tighten and reinstall everything.

IF it still disappears, then you have a leaking internal heat exchanger core inside the lid of your supercharger. I have seen that too. You can re weld the seam, or just take it in for warranty if you trust the dealer.
    Wait4me. Thanks a ton for the info. I will give it a try. Is there a simple way to see if there is a leak in the internal heat exchanger.? So I can rule out both. Also, it says in the manual to us a 50/50 mix of dex and water. I have been just adding 100% dex. Is that ok or is it a must that it be 50/50, and if so, how do I drain it all out and refill with 50/50? Thanks again for your help.

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

You are fine with using dexcool, they just don't want it to be straight water so it wont freeze.

For the test for pressure leakage, you have to pump up the system to about 5 psi with the lid off and flipped upside down, If it leaks, you will see a wet spot or stream. USUALLY they only leak when boost is present. If it has a hole, usually the res is under a lot of pressure after a run, or you see it blowing out of the drain tube.

Quote Originally Posted by wait4me View Post
    You are fine with using dexcool, they just don't want it to be straight water so it wont freeze.

For the test for pressure leakage, you have to pump up the system to about 5 psi with the lid off and flipped upside down, If it leaks, you will see a wet spot or stream. USUALLY they only leak when boost is present. If it has a hole, usually the res is under a lot of pressure after a run, or you see it blowing out of the drain tube.
    Thank you so much Wait.. Would you take off the pulley and take to dealer for a look or would you say it most likely was not bleed we'll enough? Also,does these cars lose any coolant ever from normal evaporation? How often should you check and add some if low? Or should coolant never be low?

Kmajecki is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe
    This made me want to check mine and sure enough it is low. Im running water wetter + water + whatever coolant was left in the system when i did my hx install. Hoping there was still enough dexcool in there to prevent freezing as we got down to about 19 a couple nights ago here in Dallas. Planning to figure this out tomorrow. Ill pull the sc lid and check it out. If nothing else it'll be a good time to clean the intercooler

Quote Originally Posted by Kmajecki View Post
    This made me want to check mine and sure enough it is low. Im running water wetter + water + whatever coolant was left in the system when i did my hx install. Hoping there was still enough dexcool in there to prevent freezing as we got down to about 19 a couple nights ago here in Dallas. Planning to figure this out tomorrow. Ill pull the sc lid and check it out. If nothing else it'll be a good time to clean the intercooler
    Please let me know how it goes. How much did you need to add? When you pull the lid off should there be any coolant in there?

There shouldnt be any fluid visible when pulling the supercharger lid. If you're talking about the cap/lid to the shot glass sized reservoir, yea there should be some in that. I filled it, started the car, filled it again, and repeated about 10 times until it held a steady level. I didnt mess with bleeder screw just yet, but i did bleed the system significantly when i installed the HX a few months ago so that shouldnt be my main issue, but it definitely needs to be bled now. I'm hoping there's just a loose hose on my HX setup. I have the stock HX running in line with an aftermarket one. It did get cold enough to freeze here, but my car is in a parking garage, so im hoping that kept it warm enough to prevent freezing and cracking anything. Its kinda dark in the garage, but i did see some minor amounts of fluid on the splash guard below my aftermarket HX, so that's easing my mind slightly making me think it's a loose hose (fingers crossed). Ill pull the bumper off tomorrow and report my findings tomorrow afternoon
    Esq. likes this.

Alright this will have to wait until tomorrow. It's pretty nasty outside here today and Im not feeling up to driving to my parents garage today

I posted in your other thread, but just to update this thread, I filled the system, pulled the SC lid, blew air into the overflow tube coming off the reservoir to check for leaks and this worked well for me

kj217 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

is that applicable for maggie tvs2300?
    i usually add like 100ml every other day,, is that an issue?

My issue ended up being a leak inside under the supercharger lid. Once I took it off I saw Orange coolant all over the place. Took it to the dealer and they ended up replacing the entire supercharger.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Kmajecki View Post
    19? Is that Celcius???????????

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.