New Rear Differential Cooler option
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, New Rear Differential Cooler option in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; ...
    jb_bgg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Black/Black V, Manual, Recaros, loaded

New Rear Differential Cooler option

Setrab Rear Diff cooler desktop layout (1024x405).jpg

My goal with this project was high quality, reliable, race-tested suitable solutions that are small, lightweight, quiet, easy to install, purpose-built, and affordable. I completed what I believe to be pretty thorough diligence on various pumps and vendors (diaphragm like Tilton & Shurflo- not designed for hot heavy gear oil), vane, spur gear, helical gear, etc.) various HX styles including plate, fans, filters, fittings, etc. Ultimately I chose and worked with Setrab’s USA subsidiary and together we assembled a kit I believe meets all the criteria above. You can do your own diligence on their products, history, and professional race team affiliations @ www.setrabusa.com.

We selected the small 19 pass HX (6.5” x 5.75” X 4.75”) with a shrouded Spal fan pack. Spal fans are the best fan option available in my opinion; although much more expensive than the Asian imports they do provide a 3 year warranty for their product. With only 2 quarts of fluid plus HX content, cycling through the HX between 8-16 times a minute with a 1-2GPM pump this small but highly effective unit should be more than sufficient. That said, you can choose one of their larger HX options should you desire additional fluid capacity. It is possible and some people believe a fan may not even be necessary with this HX. That would need to be track-tested to confirm but that option is also available. I took a hard look at the Turbowerx pumps I felt were a very good option but decided to stick with Setrab’s 1-2 GPM unit given its very compact size and weight, overall price/performance, excellent customer support and single source vendor appeal.

Total weight for everything in this kit (HX with fan, pump, filter, fittings, hose) is 7 lbs. Install does requires drilling; 4 holes for the pump and 4 for the HX. In my first mock-up I installed the pump and HX directly to the bottom of the spare tire well. Straight-forward install, hose and fittings are all push-lock; no worm clamps. Warmed up the hose a bit with a heat gun, little oil film on the fitting, push on firmly and done. Rest assured, this can NOT be pulled apart; I had to cut off my adjustments in line length with a razor knife. Power easily available from the rear fuse block in the battery compartment. HX needs ¾” space to draw air, so I used a couple rubber grommets to provide that space and cushion the HX. Pump also needed about ½” spacing for the line to sufficiently clear the rear sway bar; same choice.

The only nit for me post mock-up is the fact you can see the fan from the rear. While this is also true with the other commonly implemented option currently available, personally I wanted to eliminate that visual and keep the rear view looking as stock as possible. Without the fan I doubt you would notice the HX or pump.

I popped the pins on the rear bumper fascia diffuser and did some rough measurements in the space between the rear bumper fascia and the body/rear bumper. There is sufficient air space and flow available and I’m about 90% certain the HX with the fan pack can be mounted vertically in that space. That presents a choice to mount the pump there as well or leave it underneath. If someone would like to take the lead on this option sooner than I get to it, please feel free. So far I’ve been unable to locate another feasible exterior location for the HX, but perhaps others may have additional ideas. Given the fan I also considered installing inside the spare well but lack of fresh air flow was the concern.

The great news for us is pricing. Setrab USA’s normal end user “Racer Net” cost (10% below MSRP) for this kit is $933 (plus shipping.) They graciously agreed to work with us to bring this kit to this group and other V owners and offer additional discounting in a group buy scenario. In return, I agreed to handle orders and payment directly for those interested.

Bottom line is we are getting an additional 15% (25% off MSRP) to $775 (plus shipping) for the first 10 kits sold. From kit #11 on, they agreed to another 5% discount to $720, a full 30% off MSRP. My kit counts as #1. If we don’t reach 10 kits with an initial order as long 10 do sell within 45 days from the date of the initial order, early buyers at higher prices will be refunded the difference. Full factory warranties and customer support apply.

Component Price list PDF attached below with and without the Setrab pump should you prefer a different pump option.

Additional desktop and install pictures including install mock-up available at: http://s1280.beta.photobucket.com/user/jb_bgg/library/ - Didn't have time to get the car on a lift for better pics at the time of this post.

Tech specs at : www.setrabusa.com

My email is jb_bgg@yahoo.com

All questions, comments, suggestions and criticisms welcomed and appreciated.

GROUP BUY Potential Interest from previous post - edit to confirm

1. Havasusteve
    2. CJ11V
    3. bzabodyn (BZ)
    4. dbish - CONFIRMED
    5. basa ???
    6. Red Baron - CONFIRMED
    Attached Files

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jzchen is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '85 Sedan de Ville, '10 CTS-V

Re: New Rear Differential Cooler option

Please let me know if I should PM instead of post my questions.

You have to drill for this install. Any way that I could just buy a kit and install? I've drilled before so maybe that I could do. It's not really clear about the hose cutting/heating. I'd be nervous about me doing that personally. (I have no experience changing the length of hoses, spark plug wires yes, but hoses no.)

Hi JZ,

Posting questions is fine; others may have the same one. If you're uncomfortable doing the install yourself (hoses, electrical wiring, etc.) I'd suggest letting a trusted mechanic or dealer do the install for you. Shouldn't take more than 1.5 - 2 hrs at the most.

SeeTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member

How is this coming along? Can we still get the kit?

Quote Originally Posted by SeeTSV View Post
    How is this coming along? Can we still get the kit?
    I am testing at auto club speedway this weekend and will follow up with an update afterwards. Relocated pump and hx

SeeTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jb_bgg View Post
    I am testing at auto club speedway this weekend and will follow up with an update afterwards. Relocated pump and hx
    Awesome I look forward to your writeup. Please put a link in this thread so we don't miss it!

sshu is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Any updates to this thread?

Have a new implementation that works extremely well. Fully tested over 4 track days with 16 20-25 minute sessions. Please PM me for additional details.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.