Doug's Headers (Guillotine style) exhaust cutout review [now with video!]
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Doug's Headers (Guillotine style) exhaust cutout review [now with video!] in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Got these things installed today so thought I would share. First i'll address these specific style cutouts, then I'll give ...
    Jayfrigginjones is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black, Auto

Cool Doug's Headers (Guillotine style) exhaust cutout review [now with video!]

Got these things installed today so thought I would share. First i'll address these specific style cutouts, then I'll give my 2cents on cutouts in general.

The build quality of these things is super solid. They seem very robust and I'm not worried that they won't hold up to exposure to the elements. The included clamps seems to leak a little, but i'm told it's to be expected.

photo 3.JPG

The blade design is great. The seal is tight and it's hard to imagine these things malfunctioning in any way except for motor failure. Which brings me to the motor. It's noisy and sounds like it's struggling to open. Also, I imagined the switch would activate the motor through a full cyle, but the valves can actually be left partially opened/closed. And the switch doesn't indicate which way is open and which is closed, it just has 2 arrows so if the engine is off there is nothing to indicate its open-ness.

photo 2.JPG

As for cutouts in general, the car isn't much louder on the inside unless you are WOT. It sounds great to the people standing around outside and when you are near things that echo. I have the 6A and now I am more inclined to use manual mode to hear the decel popping

photo 1.JPG

Thanks to Ken at Sandia Muffler for chopping my pipes. Sorry the car is dirty in the following videos, but I've been driving around all day listening to the 6.2L symphony.

Below are some vids for sound. If you use headphones, the sound is pretty accurate but laptop speakers don't do justice.

Cutout Function

Startup
    http://youtu.be/NDnCRGdiCj8

Driving
    http://youtu.be/AMy_Haqx30k

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs

Re: Doug's Headers (Guillotine style) exhaust cutout review [now with video!]

sounds great!

Mike02z is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan Black Raven 6 speed manual

Sounds really nice and hopefully this design is better than the more traditional butterfly cutouts. 2 things would concern me though..

1.) It appears the cutouts are pointed directly at the fuel tanks. Heat and fuel typically don't play well together
    2.) When the cut outs are open you don't have the exhaust routed out from under the car and I'd worry about fumes entering the cabin.

That said, best of luck they do sound nice

larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs

ahhh the cutouts are not pointing at the gas tank, those are the mufflers and the trunk pan. fuel tank is farther car forward. that is as far back as you can route a cutout.

bbang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sport Wagon

looks good and sounds good... where did you install the switch??

Jayfrigginjones is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black, Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by bbang
    looks good and sounds good... where did you install the switch??
    The switch is temporarily mounted by the battery until I decide on a location. I'll probably mount it later when I do the clock mod like Larry Arizona

VinATL is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V

Sounds like my traditional cutouts, which is to say, awesome.

Consider wiring them with a remote switch. No pesky wiring to do into the cabin, keyfob can be in your pocket or anywhere.

Kmajecki is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Been about 6 months since you installed. Are these still holding up well?

TemptingNYC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 11' CTS-V Sedan

Is that the specific point that the cutouts have to be installed at.....or was that your decision?

Moparman4444 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I like the cut out a lot!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.