CTS-V - track prep questions / track wheels, R-Compound tires & AIM data acquistion
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, CTS-V - track prep questions / track wheels, R-Compound tires & AIM data acquistion in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I'm new to this forum and as my first post wanted to ask you guys some questions about track prepping ...
    DBCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '10 Escalade, '13 CTS-V Wagon

CTS-V - track prep questions / track wheels, R-Compound tires & AIM data acquistion

I'm new to this forum and as my first post wanted to ask you guys some questions about track prepping a CTS-V wagon.

Some background... I'm a driving school instructor and club racer. I've just sold my race car (see link) and am contemplating getting a CTS-V wagon, which I'd like to use for the occasional track weekend.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8311/8...8b2cd18e_n.jpg

What do folks use for track wheels? I searched Tire Rack, but the search came up empty.

Same for tires? Hoosier (R6) and Hankook (Z214) sizing is very limited in 19"s. Would 18"s fit?

I have an AIM EVO4 data acquisition system that I could easily transplant. Does anybody use an AIM system connected to their OBDII port? I checked AIM's site and I can't find support for any Cadillac.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

Re: CTS-V - track prep questions / track wheels, R-Compound tires & AIM data acquist

TSW nurburgrings 18x9.5 with 40mm offset. Light, strong and fit 275/35/18 R compounds with ease.

I'm using these with snows (graphite) and will swap on R compounds next year for track days

cruiser68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)

Re: CTS-V - track prep questions / track wheels, R-Compound tires & AIM data acquist

Quote Originally Posted by Chris CTS V Wagon View Post
    TSW nurburgrings 18x9.5 with 40mm offset. Light, strong and fit 275/35/18 R compounds with ease.

I'm using these with snows (graphite) and will swap on R compounds next year for track days
    +1 on the TSW's I'm using them with toyo R888 for track days.

Thanks! What's the bolt pattern and do you use spacers? And do you guys run a square set up?

That's a very popular tire size with plenty of sticky options.

----------

One last question... I'd like to use PFC race pads - do you the PFC pad shape number for the stock calipers?

cruiser68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)

5-120 no spacer needed same tire size all around.

Hmmm... That's the same bolt pattern for a BMW M3. I wonder if the center bore is the same too. That would significantly expand the options.

Thanks again for the help!

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

Here's the part number that I have:*** TSW Nurburgring (Matte Gunmetal) 1895NUR405120G76 18x9.5 5/120 ET40**

Kmajecki is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Hub bores are not the same but there are adapter rings: http://www.prestigewheel.com/mainHubRing.htm

Low_ET is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, Thunder Gray, Auto

Quote Originally Posted by DBCTSV View Post
    Hmmm... That's the same bolt pattern for a BMW M3. I wonder if the center bore is the same too. That would significantly expand the options.
    The CTS-V Hub size is 67 mm. The BMW hub size is 72.5 mm (I think). The 5x120 lug pattern is the same as BMW.

You can also use Bayern (BMW) wheels if you prefer. They are made by TSW like the 18" Nurburgring wheels that many of us use for track days. The "RF" (Rotary Forged) wheels from TSW/Bayern are the lightest.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    DiscountTireDirect will give you rings and lug nuts with the wheels for free. TSWs for me.

I run the Hankooks myself. The soft C91 compound wears fine. And I got them used in the NASA forums for $100 apiece shipped.

Ti shims are also available...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

NAX-121 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V: 07 EXT: 05 EXT: 05 Ram SRT-10rc: 800hp NORDIC Boat

Attachment 98551
    Racing Dynamics 18x10 wheels with Hankook Ventus RS-3 tires 285/35/18.
    Sean at TrinityTEK Racing in AZ is who I got them thru.
    Super lightweight and half the price of OZ wheels.
    Even after a solid track weekend at Buttonwillow for the Cadillac Challenge I had no issues of rubbing
    Have to say with the D3 suspension setup and this tire/wheel package made a huge difference on the track
    plus it looks much better. The wheels are specific for 09-up cts-v. Good luck.

Trionalaw is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

This thread is quite exciting to me. The forum will now have other drivers who without question have more experience and knowledge on the track than I do. They can then give us much more helpful reports than my pathetic little attempts.most of you must laugh when I'm excited about catching reran without hitting the brakes or letting up.

I think today and Sunday are the only two driving schools days I could attend in the area (Putnam Park in Indiana – I live in Cincinnati) but work prevents it. It sounds like some of these " hot shoes" live in areas where they can track year-round. Hopefully one or more will do so and let us know their thoughts.

Much appreciated,

Jim

After a bunch of phone calls, searching and following up on the above leads, I think I have a plan:

Brake pads: It looks like Porterfield, Hawk and Carbotech's are popular choices for V's, but I never had good experience with those brands/compounds on my M3 race car. After speaking to the director of motorsports at Performance Friction, he tracked down the PFC part numbers for me and they offer all the popular compounds. PFC01 is great for all out racing and that's what I used in my M3, but the 08's seem perfect for track days since they're more of an endurance pad. Here are the part numbers and BimmerWorld.com can source them as they're a big PFC dealer. I'll be using Motul RBF600 fluid.

9196.08.17.44 (front)
    0592.08.15.44 (rear)

Wheels: TD and TSW seem to be the only bolt-on options. TD's were popular on BMW track cars years ago, but there are lots of newer options. I'm sure the TD's (and TSW's) are excellent wheels, but I'm going down the BMW fitment with centering ring adapter route - Apex EC-7 wheels in 18x10 ET33. Strong, light and that's what I use on my race car - http://store.bimmerworld.com/apex-ec...els-p1904.aspx

Tires: Since I'll just be using the V for HPDE's, I'm going to try Hoosier Grand Am scrubs in 275/35R18. Plenty of race teams sell them and you can't beat the price.

AIM Data Acquisition: I have a spare EVO4 MXL display, so I'll be getting another EVO4 base unit to put into the V (they make a version that can be powered via the cigarette lighter and tap into the OBDII port for engine data feed). Completely overkill, but it will be nice to use the MXL display for laptimes and sequential shift lights. All my data is AIM, so I can also contrast/compare. AIM says that there isn't a V OBDII configuration available, but that I can use a generic OBDII map to pull in things like RPM, throttle position, speed and possibly things like oil temp and oil pressure. http://store.bimmerworld.com/aim-evo...nal-p1589.aspx I think most folks would find the AIM SOLO DL more than plenty for track days.

The last pieces to the puzzle are a diff cooler and wheel studs (does anyone happen to know the thread size?).

It's pretty much winter here in MN, so I'll give folks updates throughout the off-season as I start receiving parts.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Not to be rude, but you seemed to have gone with equipment that others "don't" use; at least after reading the threads. I'm deciding myself on which track pads to use, but the info here seems to suggest the DTC-30s, at least up front. Secondly, I saw cruiser 68 using the Toyos in rain, and was quite impressed. Again, I'm trying to gather info myself for next spring. These cars, wagons, are probably a LOT heavier than your M3. Mine is 4350 curb weight, although balanced well front and rear. So at Road America yesterday with a full tank of gas, me, the stuff in the trunk, my trailer hitch, and an instructor, I was easily pushing 4900#! That is Bentley GT weight my friend.

No, you're not rude at all. There's a serious lack of info based on my searches and even talking to some of the companies mentioned in this thread.

I primarily club race, so my V will be used as a street car that sees some occasional track time at HPDE's that I'm instructing at (hey, at least I can save 200# unless I'm giving a student a ride). I've tried all the pads mentioned (granted not in a V), so I'm going on my past experience on what I like - the PFC's provide an amazing initial bite, are linear and easy to modulate. I believe there was an article in Grassroots Motorsports a few months ago that did a test. Anyway, I'm sure the Hawks, etc. work great for others, but I'll stick with PFC for track duty on any car.

Can't wait for the spring!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.