Cadillac Owners Forum banner

CTS-V - track prep questions / track wheels, R-Compound tires & AIM data acquistion

16K views 52 replies 20 participants last post by  soon to V 
#1 ·
CTS-V - track prep questions / track wheels, R-Compound tires & AIM data acquistion

I'm new to this forum and as my first post wanted to ask you guys some questions about track prepping a CTS-V wagon.

Some background... I'm a driving school instructor and club racer. I've just sold my race car (see link) and am contemplating getting a CTS-V wagon, which I'd like to use for the occasional track weekend.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8311/8050277563_628b2cd18e_n.jpg

What do folks use for track wheels? I searched Tire Rack, but the search came up empty.

Same for tires? Hoosier (R6) and Hankook (Z214) sizing is very limited in 19"s. Would 18"s fit?

I have an AIM EVO4 data acquisition system that I could easily transplant. Does anybody use an AIM system connected to their OBDII port? I checked AIM's site and I can't find support for any Cadillac.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: CTS-V - track prep questions / track wheels, R-Compound tires & AIM data acquist

TSW nurburgrings 18x9.5 with 40mm offset. Light, strong and fit 275/35/18 R compounds with ease.

I'm using these with snows (graphite) and will swap on R compounds next year for track days :)

#4 ·
Thanks! What's the bolt pattern and do you use spacers? And do you guys run a square set up?

That's a very popular tire size with plenty of sticky options.

----------

One last question... I'd like to use PFC race pads - do you the PFC pad shape number for the stock calipers?

#9 ·
Re: CTS-V - track prep questions / track wheels, R-Compound tires & AIM data acquist

Hmmm... That's the same bolt pattern for a BMW M3. I wonder if the center bore is the same too. That would significantly expand the options.
The CTS-V Hub size is 67 mm. The BMW hub size is 72.5 mm (I think). The 5x120 lug pattern is the same as BMW.

You can also use Bayern (BMW) wheels if you prefer. They are made by TSW like the 18" Nurburgring wheels that many of us use for track days. The "RF" (Rotary Forged) wheels from TSW/Bayern are the lightest.

#10 ·
DiscountTireDirect will give you rings and lug nuts with the wheels for free. TSWs for me.

I run the Hankooks myself. The soft C91 compound wears fine. And I got them used in the NASA forums for $100 apiece shipped.

Ti shims are also available...

#11 ·

View attachment 98551
Racing Dynamics 18x10 wheels with Hankook Ventus RS-3 tires 285/35/18.
Sean at TrinityTEK Racing in AZ is who I got them thru.:thumbsup:
Super lightweight and half the price of OZ wheels.
Even after a solid track weekend at Buttonwillow for the Cadillac Challenge I had no issues of rubbing
Have to say with the D3 suspension setup and this tire/wheel package made a huge difference on the track
plus it looks much better. The wheels are specific for 09-up cts-v. Good luck.

#12 ·

This thread is quite exciting to me. The forum will now have other drivers who without question have more experience and knowledge on the track than I do. They can then give us much more helpful reports than my pathetic little attempts.most of you must laugh when I'm excited about catching reran without hitting the brakes or letting up.

I think today and Sunday are the only two driving schools days I could attend in the area (Putnam Park in Indiana – I live in Cincinnati) but work prevents it. It sounds like some of these " hot shoes" live in areas where they can track year-round. Hopefully one or more will do so and let us know their thoughts.

Much appreciated,

Jim

#13 · (Edited)

After a bunch of phone calls, searching and following up on the above leads, I think I have a plan:

Brake pads: It looks like Porterfield, Hawk and Carbotech's are popular choices for V's, but I never had good experience with those brands/compounds on my M3 race car. After speaking to the director of motorsports at Performance Friction, he tracked down the PFC part numbers for me and they offer all the popular compounds. PFC01 is great for all out racing and that's what I used in my M3, but the 08's seem perfect for track days since they're more of an endurance pad. Here are the part numbers and BimmerWorld.com can source them as they're a big PFC dealer. I'll be using Motul RBF600 fluid.

9196.08.17.44 (front)
0592.08.15.44 (rear)

Wheels: TD and TSW seem to be the only bolt-on options. TD's were popular on BMW track cars years ago, but there are lots of newer options. I'm sure the TD's (and TSW's) are excellent wheels, but I'm going down the BMW fitment with centering ring adapter route - Apex EC-7 wheels in 18x10 ET33. Strong, light and that's what I use on my race car - http://store.bimmerworld.com/apex-ec-7-bmw-wheels-p1904.aspx

Tires: Since I'll just be using the V for HPDE's, I'm going to try Hoosier Grand Am scrubs in 275/35R18. Plenty of race teams sell them and you can't beat the price.

AIM Data Acquisition: I have a spare EVO4 MXL display, so I'll be getting another EVO4 base unit to put into the V (they make a version that can be powered via the cigarette lighter and tap into the OBDII port for engine data feed). Completely overkill, but it will be nice to use the MXL display for laptimes and sequential shift lights. All my data is AIM, so I can also contrast/compare. AIM says that there isn't a V OBDII configuration available, but that I can use a generic OBDII map to pull in things like RPM, throttle position, speed and possibly things like oil temp and oil pressure. http://store.bimmerworld.com/aim-ev...stem-mxl-or-mychron3-dash-optional-p1589.aspx I think most folks would find the AIM SOLO DL more than plenty for track days.

The last pieces to the puzzle are a diff cooler and wheel studs (does anyone happen to know the thread size?).

It's pretty much winter here in MN, so I'll give folks updates throughout the off-season as I start receiving parts.

#14 ·

Not to be rude, but you seemed to have gone with equipment that others "don't" use; at least after reading the threads. I'm deciding myself on which track pads to use, but the info here seems to suggest the DTC-30s, at least up front. Secondly, I saw cruiser 68 using the Toyos in rain, and was quite impressed. Again, I'm trying to gather info myself for next spring. These cars, wagons, are probably a LOT heavier than your M3. Mine is 4350 curb weight, although balanced well front and rear. So at Road America yesterday with a full tank of gas, me, the stuff in the trunk, my trailer hitch, and an instructor, I was easily pushing 4900#! That is Bentley GT weight my friend. :(

#15 ·

No, you're not rude at all. There's a serious lack of info based on my searches and even talking to some of the companies mentioned in this thread.

I primarily club race, so my V will be used as a street car that sees some occasional track time at HPDE's that I'm instructing at (hey, at least I can save 200# unless I'm giving a student a ride). I've tried all the pads mentioned (granted not in a V), so I'm going on my past experience on what I like - the PFC's provide an amazing initial bite, are linear and easy to modulate. I believe there was an article in Grassroots Motorsports a few months ago that did a test. Anyway, I'm sure the Hawks, etc. work great for others, but I'll stick with PFC for track duty on any car.

Can't wait for the spring!

#30 ·

...the PFC's provide an amazing initial bite, are linear and easy to modulate. I believe there was an article in Grassroots Motorsports a few months ago that did a test. Anyway, I'm sure the Hawks, etc. work great for others, but I'll stick with PFC for track duty on any car.
I ran PFC-01's for track days on another two-ton beast (E39 M5) and absolutely loved them. The added weight and higher HP (lots at that time) brought them up to operating temp quickly. I understand your affinity for them. Haven't tracked the V as yet, so I can't speak to that application.

All this track talk has me itchin' for some seat time!! Good luck with your project. Keep us posted.

BTW, are the E36 M3 and E39 M5 bolt patterns the same? I've still got a set of M5 track wheels in storage, so if they'd work with spacers...

#19 ·

I run the TSW's on my Sedan. 19x19 front and 19x10 rear with a square set up tirewise (295). I do need spacers in the rear but not the front. I'm running toyo-r888's but am likely to drop down to 18's so I can run R6's in the coming year. Last I checked, I couldn't get the r6 in an appropriate size for my 19's.

As for brakes, I LOVE the Porterfields but I don't drive much on the street and it's never that cold here in LA. They do need to warm up before they are ready to really do their job. On the track though, they are simply fantastic.

I'd look into a diff cooler. There are a few options out there. D3 makes mine but there is a recent thread with a potential group buy on an affordable alternative that might be as good, I just don't know.

#20 ·
Rule12b said:
I run the TSW's on my Sedan. 19x19 front and 19x10 rear with a square set up tirewise (295). I do need spacers in the rear but not the front. I'm running toyo-r888's but am likely to drop down to 18's so I can run R6's in the coming year. Last I checked, I couldn't get the r6 in an appropriate size for my 19's.

As for brakes, I LOVE the Porterfields but I don't drive much on the street and it's never that cold here in LA. They do need to warm up before they are ready to really do their job. On the track though, they are simply fantastic.

I'd look into a diff cooler. There are a few options out there. D3 makes mine but there is a recent thread with a potential group buy on an affordable alternative that might be as good, I just don't know.
You should try PFC pads. I ran R4's years and years ago for autocrossing. They're an old compound and good beginner pad, but not up for advanced track or race duty. It's night and day difference. Yes, they're pricey, but worth it IMHO.

Yes, a diff cooler is on my to do list. I ran a Genesis pump from HRP on my race car, so I may look into that option and not reinvent the wheel.

#21 ·

How are the PFC's on rotors? My car seldom sees the streets, and will see them even less in the coming year so I'm really only concerned about the impact on rotors as opposed to cold stopping.

#22 ·

How are the PFC's on rotors? My car seldom sees the streets, and will see them even less in the coming year so I'm really only concerned about the impact on rotors as opposed to cold stopping.
My latest experience with PFC pads were on my GTS-3 BMW M3 race car.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Sports car racing

I used PFC01 pads on a PFC ZR45 4-piston big brake kit. Stopping power was phenomenal... initial bite was like you threw an anchor out the window and you could modulate the pedal (it wasn't a simple on/off switch).

I was using PFC Direct Drive rotors as part of the BBK kit and wear was fine. Granted, this car didn't see any street time and was race only, so I wasn't too worried about expendables like brake pads and rotors.

#27 ·

18s, no doubt. Quality wheels are available, tires are MUCH cheaper(and many lightly used sets are available) and plentiful and having more sidewall is better for feel and communication, IMO...

#28 ·
thebigjimsho said:
18s, no doubt. Quality wheels are available, tires are MUCH cheaper(and many lightly used sets are available) and plentiful and having more sidewall is better for feel and communication, IMO...
Yes, 18's are definitely the way to go for track duty. Grand Am take offs are plentiful, cheap and more than enough rubber for the occasional track day or time trial.

#29 ·

I ran PF pads on my Corvette. 01's up front, and 97's in the rear. This was my perferred setup after years of playing with other brands, (ie: carbotech & hawk). Hawks were too destructive with nasty dust, and carbotech is just inconsistant from one batch to the next. And now the corvette guys are bending backing plates with carbotechs.

I never tried any other compound of PF's. I know they have much newer compounds now.

#35 · (Edited)

Sedan staggered:
So your running with an inch smaller OD, without problems ???
How much is the speedometer off?
and your running higher revs...............

I'm surprised no tire company has caught on to the V.

I just sent an Email to Kumho & Hoosier. If enough of us send them emails, they will "wake up" to the V. I'd really like to run a set of Victor Racers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.