CTS-V - track prep questions / track wheels, R-Compound tires & AIM data acquistion - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, CTS-V - track prep questions / track wheels, R-Compound tires & AIM data acquistion in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Are there no track tires for the factory 19" wheels? I just checked tirerack, and the choices are nil....
    the blur is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: CTS-V - track prep questions / track wheels, R-Compound tires & AIM data acquist

Are there no track tires for the factory 19" wheels?
    I just checked tirerack, and the choices are nil.

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Re: CTS-V - track prep questions / track wheels, R-Compound tires & AIM data acquist

You should have options with Toyo R888 and Hoosier...

Thanks,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by the blur View Post
    Are there no track tires for the factory 19" wheels?
    I just checked tirerack, and the choices are nil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Design View Post
    You should have options with Toyo R888 and Hoosier...
    Thanks,Dr. DesignD3 Cadillac
    Doc, what sizes do you run in 19" on the Sedan? I see nothing close to the 27" OD. And the oem size does not seem available in Hoosier or Toyo R compound. Or am I missing something ??? I'd like to get a set of OEM rims, and just run R compounds.

D3 Outlet is offline www.d3cadillac.com

Doc, what sizes do you run in 19" on the Sedan? I see nothing close to the 27" OD. And the oem size does not seem available in Hoosier or Toyo R compound. Or am I missing something ??? I'd like to get a set of OEM rims, and just run R compounds.
    Unfortunately there is no 27" OD available. we had to work with what the tire manufacture had to offer, There's definitely not a lot of options but the good news is that we have tested different tire and wheel set up at the track and We have had very good luck with these set up:

Sedan and Wagons
    Square Set Up:
    19x9.5 with 295/30R19 Toyo R888 all around ( we basically took the factory rears wheels and ran our D3 hub centric spacers and extended stud kit for offset correction)

Staggered Set Up:
    19x9 with 265/35R19 Hoosier R6
    19x9.5 with 295/30R19 Hoosier R6

Coupe
    19x9.5(sedan rear w/ D3 Spacer Kit) and 19x10 (factory coupe rears) 295/30R19 and 305/30R19 Toyo R888

Sedan staggered:
    So your running with an inch smaller OD, without problems ???
    How much is the speedometer off?
    and your running higher revs...............

I'm surprised no tire company has caught on to the V.

I just sent an Email to Kumho & Hoosier. If enough of us send them emails, they will "wake up" to the V. I'd really like to run a set of Victor Racers.

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Tire manufacturers don't cater to individual car setups...unless it is common. Like Miata, 911, 3 series...

They make sizes. The more common, the more the slicks match. You'll NEVER get enough V guys to make a limited run of slicks. But that hasn't stopped any of us from getting race rubber on our Vs...

Years ago, when I was running auto-x on a competitive level, they wanted their stickers on my car. I'm sure they would want their tires on a V. They may not even know what a V is, but once they know, hey, you never know what can happen. I do know, if you don't ask, it'll never happen.

TechSupport@KumhoTireUSA.com
    info@hoosiertire.com

Years ago, when I was running auto-x on a competitive level, they wanted their stickers on my car. I'm sure they would want their tires on a V. They may not even know what a V is, but once they know, hey, you never know what can happen. I do know, if you don't ask, it'll never happen.

TechSupport@KumhoTireUSA.com
    info@hoosiertire.com
    I'm not saying don't ask. Just in the years of buying slicks for my '04/'09 Vs, I've had to settle for close tire sizes. Even after talking to Hoosier and BFGoodrich directly...

miamictsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Have you tried 305/30/19 on the back and 295/30/19 on the front on a sedan? The rears will be .5in taller and a bit wider and of course a wider rim will be needed for the rear. Will this setup need a speedo re-calibration?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by D3 Outlet View Post
    Unfortunately there is no 27" OD available. we had to work with what the tire manufacture had to offer, There's definitely not a lot of options but the good news is that we have tested different tire and wheel set up at the track and We have had very good luck with these set up:

Sedan and Wagons
    Square Set Up:
    19x9.5 with 295/30R19 Toyo R888 all around ( we basically took the factory rears wheels and ran our D3 hub centric spacers and extended stud kit for offset correction)

Staggered Set Up:
    19x9 with 265/35R19 Hoosier R6
    19x9.5 with 295/30R19 Hoosier R6

Coupe
    19x9.5(sedan rear w/ D3 Spacer Kit) and 19x10 (factory coupe rears) 295/30R19 and 305/30R19 Toyo R888

D3 Outlet is offline www.d3cadillac.com

Quote Originally Posted by miamictsv View Post
    Have you tried 305/30/19 on the back and 295/30/19 on the front on a sedan? The rears will be .5in taller and a bit wider and of course a wider rim will be needed for the rear. Will this setup need a speedo re-calibration?

Thank you
    We have tried a 305/30R19 Toyo R888 and ran into some rubbing issue with using a Widened 19x10.5 factory CTSV wheels and we have also tried running a 305/30R19 Bridgestone RE11 on the same exact wheels with NO rubbing issues what so ever. It all depends on tire manufacture you are running, believe it or not even though they both say 305/30R19 on the side wall they are completely different widths. As far as the speedo recalibration most of the guys do not even bother to do it because it is also their daily driven vehicles and they install their normal 27" OD tire off the track. Recalibration is available if customer wants to do so.
    miamictsv and miamictsv like this.

DBCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '10 Escalade, '13 CTS-V Wagon

TRACK REPORT

So, I finally had some time to go up to Brainerd Interenational Raceway (BIR). I was instructing at a club event for the day, so I had limited track time.

Here are my impressions of the Vagon.

The Performance Friction 08 brake pads, Motul RBF600 and Grand Am scrubs proved to be an awesome combination. The brake pads were flawless - tons of initial bite, very linear to modulate, great release characteristics and absolutely no fade. I've used PFC pads for years on my race car, and they didn't let me down in my (very heavy) street car. The Grand Am scrubs gave me plenty of grip and were perfect for a DE day - cheap and sticky enough.

Two issues came up... the rear diff overheated with 9 mins of hard track driving, so my sessions were short - very short. If I ever track the Vagon again, a diff cooler is mandatory.

Before heading to the track, I forgot to put aluminum foil over my wheel weights. The front brakes generated so much heat that it melted the adhesive on the wheel weights. When a wheel weight comes off on the track, you hear a disturbing clunking sound and then everything starts vibrating - not fun and confidence inspiring. Anyway, foil taping wheel weights is another mandatory.

Overall, my lap times were 5 sec off the pace of my purpose built #1500 lighter race car. In comparing AIM data, top end speed is faster in the V, but corner speeds are like I'm parking the car in comparison. Yes, it's a heavy heavy heavy vehicle.

Fun, but I prefer a lighter, more nimble vehicle for track duty.

It's a fun recreational track car. It certainly doesn't handle like a Corvette. I love it for HPDE's. Then I love driving it home. I wouldn't race it in stock trim.

Quote Originally Posted by DBCTSV View Post
    TRACK REPORT

So, I finally had some time to go up to Brainerd Interenational Raceway (BIR). I was instructing at a club event for the day, so I had limited track time.

Here are my impressions of the Vagon.

The Performance Friction 08 brake pads, Motul RBF600 and Grand Am scrubs proved to be an awesome combination. The brake pads were flawless - tons of initial bite, very linear to modulate, great release characteristics and absolutely no fade. I've used PFC pads for years on my race car, and they didn't let me down in my (very heavy) street car. The Grand Am scrubs gave me plenty of grip and were perfect for a DE day - cheap and sticky enough.

Two issues came up... the rear diff overheated with 9 mins of hard track driving, so my sessions were short - very short. If I ever track the Vagon again, a diff cooler is mandatory.

Before heading to the track, I forgot to put aluminum foil over my wheel weights. The front brakes generated so much heat that it melted the adhesive on the wheel weights. When a wheel weight comes off on the track, you hear a disturbing clunking sound and then everything starts vibrating - not fun and confidence inspiring. Anyway, foil taping wheel weights is another mandatory.

Overall, my lap times were 5 sec off the pace of my purpose built #1500 lighter race car. In comparing AIM data, top end speed is faster in the V, but corner speeds are like I'm parking the car in comparison. Yes, it's a heavy heavy heavy vehicle.

Fun, but I prefer a lighter, more nimble vehicle for track duty.

FAIL. You didn't even tell us which BIR configuration you ran...

NAX-121 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V: 07 EXT: 05 EXT: 05 Ram SRT-10rc: 800hp NORDIC Boat

Here is a video of my buddy in his R8 at Sonoma a couple weeks back. Im the red V he is chasing...! Needless to say even with really worn Hankook RS-3's and luck..lol...he never could catch me. Fun track and slick when warm. Good luck on the track guys

soon to V likes this.

rjoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I kept expecting him to reach for the stick to change gears . Rowing your own is half the fun.

Nice video though. Lots of cameras

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.