Cadillac Owners Forum banner

CTS-V - track prep questions / track wheels, R-Compound tires & AIM data acquistion

16K views 52 replies 20 participants last post by  soon to V 
#1 ·
CTS-V - track prep questions / track wheels, R-Compound tires & AIM data acquistion

I'm new to this forum and as my first post wanted to ask you guys some questions about track prepping a CTS-V wagon.

Some background... I'm a driving school instructor and club racer. I've just sold my race car (see link) and am contemplating getting a CTS-V wagon, which I'd like to use for the occasional track weekend.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8311/8050277563_628b2cd18e_n.jpg

What do folks use for track wheels? I searched Tire Rack, but the search came up empty.

Same for tires? Hoosier (R6) and Hankook (Z214) sizing is very limited in 19"s. Would 18"s fit?

I have an AIM EVO4 data acquisition system that I could easily transplant. Does anybody use an AIM system connected to their OBDII port? I checked AIM's site and I can't find support for any Cadillac.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

See less See more
#36 ·
Tire manufacturers don't cater to individual car setups...unless it is common. Like Miata, 911, 3 series...

They make sizes. The more common, the more the slicks match. You'll NEVER get enough V guys to make a limited run of slicks. But that hasn't stopped any of us from getting race rubber on our Vs...

#37 ·
Re: CTS-V - track prep questions / track wheels, R-Compound tires & AIM data acquist

Years ago, when I was running auto-x on a competitive level, they wanted their stickers on my car. I'm sure they would want their tires on a V. They may not even know what a V is, but once they know, hey, you never know what can happen. I do know, if you don't ask, it'll never happen.

TechSupport@KumhoTireUSA.com
info@hoosiertire.com

#38 ·
Years ago, when I was running auto-x on a competitive level, they wanted their stickers on my car. I'm sure they would want their tires on a V. They may not even know what a V is, but once they know, hey, you never know what can happen. I do know, if you don't ask, it'll never happen.

TechSupport@KumhoTireUSA.com
info@hoosiertire.com
I'm not saying don't ask. Just in the years of buying slicks for my '04/'09 Vs, I've had to settle for close tire sizes. Even after talking to Hoosier and BFGoodrich directly...

#41 ·
Re: CTS-V - track prep questions / track wheels, R-Compound tires & AIM data acquist

TRACK REPORT

So, I finally had some time to go up to Brainerd Interenational Raceway (BIR). I was instructing at a club event for the day, so I had limited track time.

Here are my impressions of the Vagon.

The Performance Friction 08 brake pads, Motul RBF600 and Grand Am scrubs proved to be an awesome combination. The brake pads were flawless - tons of initial bite, very linear to modulate, great release characteristics and absolutely no fade. I've used PFC pads for years on my race car, and they didn't let me down in my (very heavy) street car. The Grand Am scrubs gave me plenty of grip and were perfect for a DE day - cheap and sticky enough.

Two issues came up... the rear diff overheated with 9 mins of hard track driving, so my sessions were short - very short. If I ever track the Vagon again, a diff cooler is mandatory.

Before heading to the track, I forgot to put aluminum foil over my wheel weights. The front brakes generated so much heat that it melted the adhesive on the wheel weights. When a wheel weight comes off on the track, you hear a disturbing clunking sound and then everything starts vibrating - not fun and confidence inspiring. Anyway, foil taping wheel weights is another mandatory.

Overall, my lap times were 5 sec off the pace of my purpose built #1500 lighter race car. In comparing AIM data, top end speed is faster in the V, but corner speeds are like I'm parking the car in comparison. Yes, it's a heavy heavy heavy vehicle.

Fun, but I prefer a lighter, more nimble vehicle for track duty.

#42 ·

It's a fun recreational track car. It certainly doesn't handle like a Corvette. I love it for HPDE's. Then I love driving it home. I wouldn't race it in stock trim.

TRACK REPORT

So, I finally had some time to go up to Brainerd Interenational Raceway (BIR). I was instructing at a club event for the day, so I had limited track time.

Here are my impressions of the Vagon.

The Performance Friction 08 brake pads, Motul RBF600 and Grand Am scrubs proved to be an awesome combination. The brake pads were flawless - tons of initial bite, very linear to modulate, great release characteristics and absolutely no fade. I've used PFC pads for years on my race car, and they didn't let me down in my (very heavy) street car. The Grand Am scrubs gave me plenty of grip and were perfect for a DE day - cheap and sticky enough.

Two issues came up... the rear diff overheated with 9 mins of hard track driving, so my sessions were short - very short. If I ever track the Vagon again, a diff cooler is mandatory.

Before heading to the track, I forgot to put aluminum foil over my wheel weights. The front brakes generated so much heat that it melted the adhesive on the wheel weights. When a wheel weight comes off on the track, you hear a disturbing clunking sound and then everything starts vibrating - not fun and confidence inspiring. Anyway, foil taping wheel weights is another mandatory.

Overall, my lap times were 5 sec off the pace of my purpose built #1500 lighter race car. In comparing AIM data, top end speed is faster in the V, but corner speeds are like I'm parking the car in comparison. Yes, it's a heavy heavy heavy vehicle.

Fun, but I prefer a lighter, more nimble vehicle for track duty.

#44 ·

Here is a video of my buddy in his R8 at Sonoma a couple weeks back. Im the red V he is chasing...:tisk:! Needless to say even with really worn Hankook RS-3's and luck..lol...he never could catch me. Fun track and slick when warm. Good luck on the track guys:thumbsup:

#46 ·
NAX-121 said:
Here is a video of my buddy in his R8 at Sonoma a couple weeks back. Im the red V he is chasing...:tisk:! Needless to say even with really worn Hankook RS-3's and luck..lol...he never could catch me. Fun track and slick when warm. Good luck on the track guys:thumbsup:

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9AskeXGSGk&feature=share&list=FLOmp0D0DTo76vAPDavcXmfQ
I love the R8 and that's a V8 model by the exhausts. Did he mod it at all? If not, it only makes 414-430hp depending on model year and weighs only a few hundred pounds less than the V. You should definitely stay in front of him.

#47 ·

I play with a buddy in an R8 V10 on track days. When I was at 540 to the wheels, I could not pull from him. Now that I'm over 600 to the wheels, I can barely pull him. Even with the R8 in stock tires and me on track tires. Those things are beasts in stock form. One of the most planted cars I have followed on the track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.