MPG Check - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, MPG Check in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; 18mpg combined city hwy. That's with the built motor, heads/cam and pulleys....
    SStreet King is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS V Sedan

Re: MPG Check

18mpg combined city hwy. That's with the built motor, heads/cam and pulleys.

shortshift is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Not sure how you guys are checking milage. My 6MT, at 75 with the A/C off and 65 degrees, best highway MPG I can verify is 19.1.
    I have trouble believing these other claims. And a modified car getting 20+ mpg is simple nonsense....
    There is a formula for air/fuel/hp potential and it can't be violated. These claims are nonsense.
    My 2 cents.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

BritV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 V-wagon

Just passed 1,000 miles and average 14.9. Have not done any long freeway (motorway) driving.

You may see mid 15's for an average at some point. There are people on here claiming all kinds of nonsense that simply is not true.
    It is a law of physics that HP requires a fuel/air mixture of approximately 15 pounds of air for each pound of fuel. The more HP you make the more heat you make which requires a more enriched fuel map to cool the piston.
    Bottom line is more power requires more fuel on a rising curve. Overdriven blowers make more power and use more fuel. Period. Anyone claiming otherwise is foolish.

rbzstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): stsv
    I'd like to know why I was getting 14 to 15 with no mods. I replaced all fluids with royal purple and the mpg went up to 16 mpg. Added intake, tb, exhaust, upper and lower pullies, headers, flush mount snout, intercooler pump, heat exchanger and tune. I get 23 mpg with around 460 whp. I have a hard time believing your equation. Maybe you could be a little more specific because I'd put the title to my V up saying I know at least 5 other owners that understand how to figure out mileage n are getting 20+ mpg. By your post are you saying the new BMW, MB, ect.. Non of these cars get the mpg they are claiming because of the equation you are saying is factual? Not to mention basically every modded g8 getting around 25mpg must not understand how to calculate mpg. I think there are more factors than the equation you've found.. There are countless 500+ whp g8s getting 25. My brothers makes 430/440 gets 26 to 27mpg highway.

DiamondWhtV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by shortshift View Post
    Not sure how you guys are checking milage. My 6MT, at 75 with the A/C off and 65 degrees, best highway MPG I can verify is 19.1.
    I have trouble believing these other claims. And a modified car getting 20+ mpg is simple nonsense....
    There is a formula for air/fuel/hp potential and it can't be violated. These claims are nonsense.
    My 2 cents.
    Like my dad said. Rule #1 when feeding horses - more horse-more feed. So never have more horses than you can feed. Somehow this has always fit with horsepower too.

mr weather is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by rbzstsv View Post
    There are countless 500+ whp g8s getting 25. My brothers makes 430/440 gets 26 to 27mpg highway.
    Three words: Active Fuel Management.

basa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

I'm at 7.9 average on E85

Quote Originally Posted by mr weather View Post
    Three words: Active Fuel Management.
    As I said I believe there are other factors than just that equation.

runsfromdacops is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): twin turbo rear mount V1 CTS-V built 383. 875/860RW pump/met
    Mpg is all in the tune. Yes the over all powe the car makes is also a factor but not like the the tune is. If your tuner is lazy and doesn't spend a good deal of time on the part throttle/ drivability then your mpg will suffer.

there are a ton of super charged ls motors out there that make alot more power then most of the guys here that get well into the 20s.

The only thing that affects yhe mpg more then the tune is the driver.
    I can get my car to 1 mpg if I try hard. Or 25 if im just on my as way to work half asleep

mr weather is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by rbzstsv View Post
    As I said I believe there are other factors than just that equation.
    That may be. My last car was a G8 (V6 model) and at least in terms of highway driving there really wasn't much of a difference in mpg between it and GT.

I am referring to apple to apple comparison of mileage before and after modification. That would mean similar driving styles pre and post modification.

Turbo cars produce better efficiency under part throttle, read mileage, because fuel is mixed based on air volume regardless of throttle position or RPM.
    Supercharged cars have to deal with parasitic loss from driving the blower all the time. Blowers must reach specific RPM to produce specific air mass and along with it comes parasitic loss.

When you overdrive a blower, smaller bottom and bigger upper pulleys, you multiply parasitic loss by reducing the gear effect of the pullys.
    This cycle of loss never ends because not only have you increased your losses by changing pulleys but you are now moving more air at the same rpm which adds further load.
    Simply put it costs more HP to make more HP with a blower.
    I believe my facts are correct as I have been doing this for 37 years. I have no interest in proving any of you wrong. We are all free to believe either side of this debate.
    Bottom line is this, brake specific horse power is what I'm talking about and gas burning engines require 1 lb of fuel and 14.7 lbs of air at stoichiometric ratio. That is the ratio at which gas burns most efficiently.
    You can peak lean for a split second but you can not cruise lean. Your tuner can not defy physics.

----------

Don't any of you find it interesting that the largest engineering collective in the world, GM, can't achieve what these independent tuners achieve? More power and less fuel consumption. Really....

Quote Originally Posted by shortshift View Post
    My 2 cents.
    Simple nonsense? I believe your equation maybe right without other factors.. But it's simple nonsense to believe your claim that modified cars don't get 20+.. Look around... The same people giving out valuable information in all regards to V, BMW, Mb, ect.. All claim other wise... It doesn't make a lot of sense.... "Our country is doing great because I personally am". That's simply non sense.

Purpose of forced induction is to "force" more air into the combustion chamber so we can add "more" fuel allowing more energy to be released through combustion.

So we are to believe that we add CAI, pulleys, oversized injectors, high lift cams, etc. in an effort to move more air and we achieve a reduction in fuel consumption? NONSENSE!

You can tell any story you like but don't pretend to be offended when I call NONSENSE!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.