Heat exchanger with H20 and water wetter.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Heat exchanger with H20 and water wetter. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Anyone try running straight distilled water and water wetter (or the Royal Purple stuff) in their factory or aftermarket heat ...
    larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs

Lightbulb Heat exchanger with H20 and water wetter.

Anyone try running straight distilled water and water wetter (or the Royal Purple stuff) in their factory or aftermarket heat exchanger (intercooler loop) for summer use? Should run 20 to 30 degrees cooler than 50/50 water glycol mix even with water wetter. Seems like a no brainer for summer conditions (as long as you remember to add glycol for freezing temps)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Re: Heat exchanger with H20 and water wetter.

Yes, we run that combination along with a few others for some of the Challenge cars. In Vegas track surface temp was 140 and ambient was 102 and the cars were running strong!

FYI, there is some other stuff out there too that works pretty good from NEO.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Awesome thanks DR D! Going to drain and refill this weekend!

extrabolts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

If you live somewhere that temperatures only drop say into the teens a few days a year (most of the south), then something like 25-30% antifreeze and 70-75% water works fine year round. If you live somewhere where temperatures never get below freezing, I'd run 10% antifreeze just for corrossion reasons, and 90% water, with a bottle of water wetter. The 50/50 ratio is for people living up in vermont and leaving their car out overnight when it is -30 degrees.

DR D. thanks for the heads up on the NEO keep cool. Just ordered some.

xtra:Thanks for the feedback, goin to keep glycol to whatever is left when I drain intercooler. Will dump some wetter into the radiator for the heck of it, although I dont expect much change for engine cooling system but every bit of latent heat reduction is good. Primarily looking for intercooler efficiency.

tbauer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTSV Sedan 850+HP/830+TQ

For what it worth I posted this on the other site.

"I spoke with Royal Purple today in requards to their Purple Ice radiator coolant additive. They recommend running a 80/20 mix minimum. 80% good municipal water or bottled water, 20% antifreeze of choice, and up to 2oz per quart of Purple Ice. They dont recommend using straight distilled water in any system that has aluminum components because of corrosion. Their product plus the 20% antifreeze will help add freeze and corrosion protection to the system while rasing the boiling point of the water. They also said not to use more than 2oz per quart of Purple Ice because it could cause foaming."

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

Has anyone logged before and after swapping in water versus the stock setup from an IAT2 perspective?

I think a 160 stat, fan tuning and doing the changes above would make a really nice difference in IAT2 temps for most cars.

Chris, That is a good idea to datalog, but honestly any increase in intercooler efficiency has to provide cooler IAT2's. Even if the delta for 50/50 glycol to h20 and wetter is 10 degrees (test data showes up to 30 deg) in the intercooler loop, that is significantly better for IAT2. My intentions is to increase my intercooler loop for max efficiency and glycol is awful for heat transfer, I don't drive my V in freezing temps and for $12 in NEO keep cool and free water, I am doing it

Simply going to add glycol in the fall for storage and back to water and wetter in the spring.

Other than throwing a few ounces into the radiator, I am not planning on decreasing glycol content in the engine cooling loop.

Cool good stuff...I was thinking the stat and fan programming would help with airflow across the heat exchanger and thus further improve cooling as well.

How difficult is it to drain and refill the intercooler loop?

Easy to drain stock IC system (a little messy), just pull hose off IC pump and run the car for a few seconds. I also have a W4M IC too. Fan programming will help your stock IC from getting more airflow at low speeds but a 160Tstat won't do anything for the IC loop. Also a heads up, consider a catch can system for the PCV system, the blow by under boost on the LSA likes to foul up the IC exchanger inside the Super Charger case. I picked up a moroso catch can and its a nice easy install and keeps oil out of the supercharger area. An oil coated IC exchanger kills efficiency.
    Stillborn and Stillborn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by larry arizona View Post
    Easy to drain stock IC system (a little messy), just pull hose off IC pump and run the car for a few seconds. I also have a W4M IC too. Fan programming will help your stock IC from getting more airflow at low speeds but a 160Tstat won't do anything for the IC loop. Also a heads up, consider a catch can system for the PCV system, the blow by under boost on the LSA likes to foul up the IC exchanger inside the Super Charger case. I picked up a moroso catch can and its a nice easy install and keeps oil out of the supercharger area. An oil coated IC exchanger kills efficiency.
    Thanks...do you have a part number or link to the catch can?

The 160 stat just allows you to program the fans at a lower temp while still letting the thermo open

duplicate...please remove

chris,

Moroso 85603 is the catch can for the V (black). I think 85602 is the same in silver. I got it from JEGS for like $131 plus shipping. I too have the 160 tstat and fan programming, engine does run cooler.

Awesome thanks! Going to order one today

Chris, I know the weak LS PCV system is well known and you will be happy you add a can. Most are not aware and its a cheap fix. Moroso did a good job locating it for easy service.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.