Heat Exchanger in Hot Climates?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Heat Exchanger in Hot Climates? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Sorry if this has been discussed before; im looking at getting an uprated Heat Exchanger but there seems to be ...
    Tampa2Dubai is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS-V Sedan

Heat Exchanger in Hot Climates?

Sorry if this has been discussed before; im looking at getting an uprated Heat Exchanger but there seems to be some discussion that they shouldnt be used in Hot climates, i presume theres a risk of blocking airflow to the radiator, especially those fitted behind the bottom grille.

Is there any truth in this? Also can the stock HEX be used in tandem with an aftermarket, im just thinking that the fans wont have much of an affect on an aftermarket as its so far in front of the radiator...

Many thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

Re: Heat Exchanger in Hot Climates?

Lots of folks in the middle east used the D3 heat exchanger with zero issues.

You could further improve cooling with a 160 stat and tune change for fans.

I'm sure D3 will chime in...

Da V-Man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Chris CTS V Wagon View Post
    You could further improve cooling with a 160 stat . . .
    A lower temperature thermostat won't necessarily improve cooling. All it does is open sooner, which will extend the time it takes to reach the steady-state operating temperature. What value that steady-state temperature becomes is totally dependent on the efficiency of the cooling system and the heat load presented to it. A bigger radiator and more airflow will improve the efficiency. Adding a heat source in front of the radiator the diminishes airflow will not.

cruiser68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)

I would think if you went with a HX that installed below the radiator (like KDI), you would remove the oem HX which should actually cool better since it is in front of the radiator. I'm no expert but I would think you would get better flow and cooling with the oem HX removed.

kirbyCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V manual

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa2Dubai View Post
    Is there any truth in this? Also can the stock HEX be used in tandem with an aftermarket, im just thinking that the fans wont have much of an affect on an aftermarket as its so far in front of the radiator...

Many thanks
    w4m sells his unit to be run in tandom...i personally would run a unit that replaces the stock like D3/kdi/fluidyne. really depends how u drive and your mods. if you are going to do pullies and track time i would get a big one.

Umrswimr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by kirbyCTSV View Post
    w4m sells his unit to be run in tandom...i personally would run a unit that replaces the stock like D3/kdi/fluidyne. really depends how u drive and your mods. if you are going to do pullies and track time i would get a big one.
    Agreed. Go big or go home. If you really find you have an issue, buy a replacement radiator with an IOC. LS motors have a oil port on the side of the block which makes adding a oil cooler extremely easy.

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Da V-Man View Post
    A lower temperature thermostat won't necessarily improve cooling. All it does is open sooner, which will extend the time it takes to reach the steady-state operating temperature. What value that steady-state temperature becomes is totally dependent on the efficiency of the cooling system and the heat load presented to it. A bigger radiator and more airflow will improve the efficiency. Adding a heat source in front of the radiator the diminishes airflow will not.
    At stock power levels with fan programming it will help for sure. I've used them in all my V8 cars (NA and Supercharged) racing in temps over 100 degrees F and they have always improved cooling.

I agree when you push big power you will likely run into challenges depending on the stock rad setup / capacity etc

Q8 6.2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS/V

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa2Dubai View Post
    Sorry if this has been discussed before; im looking at getting an uprated Heat Exchanger but there seems to be some discussion that they shouldnt be used in Hot climates, i presume theres a risk of blocking airflow to the radiator, especially those fitted behind the bottom grille.

Many thanks
    Hey bro don't even compare power upgrades,mods,trans long life or heat exchangers with anyone you might see someone say I have a million horsepower and no trans problems in a million km that doesn't mean anything cos it's all about how you drive ur car.. Someone might say large heat exchanger is good but he might live in a cool climate so it dose not mean you will have the same results.

Best to compare hx with someone in ur area and same boost lvl and same kind of driving you do realize over there they stick to speed limit 99.99999 of time hahahahaha 3 yrs later 800 hp cars over there still look and drive like new. Over here with the higher speeds and better roads we use these cars to there limits almost all the time so it's not good idea to compare.

I know for a fact large hx will block the every important lower grill and the after market mettal hx will get so hot you can't even touch it with your hand.. Even when not in boost. They are a waist of space and they heat the water instead of cooling it. Stock is the best it's plastic and 5 times more cerfice area than any aftermarket hx.
    I am thinking of adding a second stock hx.. After logging it looks like it lowers the heat faster than the hx I had before

Umrswimr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Q8 6.2 View Post
    I know for a fact large hx will block the every important lower grill and the after market mettal hx will get so hot you can't even touch it with your hand.. Even when not in boost. They are a waist of space and they heat the water instead of cooling it. Stock is the best it's plastic and 5 times more cerfice area than any aftermarket hx.
    I am thinking of adding a second stock hx.. After logging it looks like it lowers the heat faster than the hx I had before
    I'm sorry, but this doesn't make sense.

A heat exchanger is based on the concept of transferring heat from one medium to another- in this case from water to the ambient air. You want a material that conducts heat very well to allow this transfer to happen; metal would be much more effective than plastic in this regard. If the stock HX is indeed plastic (I surely hope not), upgrading to a metal HX would be a huge improvement, all things being equal.

JOEYCTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan
    The stock heat exchanger is plastic? Lol

cruiser68 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V A6 Sedan Modded :)

My stock heat exchanger was small and aluminum and judging by the size of it I would say the aftermarket one I have is the one with 5 times the surface area, not the other way around.

airtroop01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Black CTS-V Sedan
    I've had a number of positive displacement supercharged cars and a larger heat exchanger has had a measurable difference in the reduction of iat2 temps. The cts-v will be no different in that regard. At idle, obviously there will be little flow over the HE and so, the only benefit will be what extra capacity of coolant is held in the system. However, at speed, if you data log, you will see iat2 temps decrease at a more rapid rate than the stock unit. Larger HE units are even more beneficial in 80-100+ degree temps. If you are in 40-70 degree temps, it's not as needed.

I wouldn't worry about the radiator cooling. The a/c and he fins allow air to flow through them. It's not like the air hits a brick wall. Plus, the CTS-V has a pretty good Efan and when it kicks off it will pull a decent amt of cfm through the radiator.

Of more concern is the stupid license plate which blocks airflow to the lower grill... And that doesn't cause these cars to overheat.

Da V-Man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Chris CTS V Wagon View Post
    At stock power levels with fan programming it will help for sure. I've used them in all my V8 cars (NA and Supercharged) racing in temps over 100 degrees F and they have always improved cooling.

I agree when you push big power you will likely run into challenges depending on the stock rad setup / capacity etc
    Sorry for the confusion, I should have been a little more clear with my post. What I was trying to say is most late-model vehicles have cooling systems that are designed to operate at higher temperatures - somewhere in the 200ºF range. This is based on lower HC emissions at higher temps. These vehicles usually have 195ºF thermostats in them, so replacing with a 160 stat would have a negligible impact. However, if your vehicle is capable of sustaining temps lower than the installed stat, then yes, a 160 stat would allow the engine to run at a lower temp.

Rockey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEYCTS-V View Post
    The stock heat exchanger is plastic? Lol
    Yeah - plastic? What a sweet bonus all along I thought it was play doh

Q8 6.2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS/V

Quote Originally Posted by Umrswimr View Post
    I'm sorry, but this doesn't make sense.

A heat exchanger is based on the concept of transferring heat from one medium to another- in this case from water to the ambient air. You want a material that conducts heat very well to allow this transfer to happen; metal would be much more effective than plastic in this regard. If the stock HX is indeed plastic (I surely hope not), upgrading to a metal HX would be a huge improvement, all things being equal.
    Ya I didn't make it clear sry. The stock hx is mettal fins with some kind of plastic housing it is super light it is very close to the fans so it sees ALOT more air than the others. I had the largest hx for a year and a half it sux i hated it.Everything was getting too hot my motor my trans my Ac my iat 1 and 2. I even blew up my Ac compressors.

Now it's been 3 months with the stock one back on i love it...my iat2 is lower than iat1 yes it will clime high under boost so did my old one but it comes down faster than the old one I had. My trans is cooler the motor is nice and cool my Ac is much colder car is just more responsive to throttle now. Yes I think you need a large hx for wot of over a long distance but for short 1/4 mile bursts the stock is perfect. By the time it gets hot you have already finished racing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.