Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Heat Exchanger in Hot Climates?

20K views 74 replies 22 participants last post by  CavemanB52 
#1 ·
Sorry if this has been discussed before; im looking at getting an uprated Heat Exchanger but there seems to be some discussion that they shouldnt be used in Hot climates, i presume theres a risk of blocking airflow to the radiator, especially those fitted behind the bottom grille.

Is there any truth in this? Also can the stock HEX be used in tandem with an aftermarket, im just thinking that the fans wont have much of an affect on an aftermarket as its so far in front of the radiator...

Many thanks

#3 ·
You could further improve cooling with a 160 stat . . .
A lower temperature thermostat won't necessarily improve cooling. All it does is open sooner, which will extend the time it takes to reach the steady-state operating temperature. What value that steady-state temperature becomes is totally dependent on the efficiency of the cooling system and the heat load presented to it. A bigger radiator and more airflow will improve the efficiency. Adding a heat source in front of the radiator the diminishes airflow will not.

#4 ·
I would think if you went with a HX that installed below the radiator (like KDI), you would remove the oem HX which should actually cool better since it is in front of the radiator. I'm no expert but I would think you would get better flow and cooling with the oem HX removed.

#5 ·
Is there any truth in this? Also can the stock HEX be used in tandem with an aftermarket, im just thinking that the fans wont have much of an affect on an aftermarket as its so far in front of the radiator...

Many thanks
w4m sells his unit to be run in tandom...i personally would run a unit that replaces the stock like D3/kdi/fluidyne. really depends how u drive and your mods. if you are going to do pullies and track time i would get a big one.

#8 ·
Hey bro don't even compare power upgrades,mods,trans long life or heat exchangers with anyone you might see someone say I have a million horsepower and no trans problems in a million km that doesn't mean anything cos it's all about how you drive ur car.. Someone might say large heat exchanger is good but he might live in a cool climate so it dose not mean you will have the same results.

Best to compare hx with someone in ur area and same boost lvl and same kind of driving you do realize over there they stick to speed limit 99.99999 of time hahahahaha 3 yrs later 800 hp cars over there still look and drive like new. Over here with the higher speeds and better roads we use these cars to there limits almost all the time so it's not good idea to compare.

I know for a fact large hx will block the every important lower grill and the after market mettal hx will get so hot you can't even touch it with your hand.. Even when not in boost. They are a waist of space and they heat the water instead of cooling it. Stock is the best it's plastic and 5 times more cerfice area than any aftermarket hx.
I am thinking of adding a second stock hx.. After logging it looks like it lowers the heat faster than the hx I had before

#9 ·
I know for a fact large hx will block the every important lower grill and the after market mettal hx will get so hot you can't even touch it with your hand.. Even when not in boost. They are a waist of space and they heat the water instead of cooling it. Stock is the best it's plastic and 5 times more cerfice area than any aftermarket hx.
I am thinking of adding a second stock hx.. After logging it looks like it lowers the heat faster than the hx I had before
I'm sorry, but this doesn't make sense.

A heat exchanger is based on the concept of transferring heat from one medium to another- in this case from water to the ambient air. You want a material that conducts heat very well to allow this transfer to happen; metal would be much more effective than plastic in this regard. If the stock HX is indeed plastic (I surely hope not), upgrading to a metal HX would be a huge improvement, all things being equal.

#12 ·
I've had a number of positive displacement supercharged cars and a larger heat exchanger has had a measurable difference in the reduction of iat2 temps. The cts-v will be no different in that regard. At idle, obviously there will be little flow over the HE and so, the only benefit will be what extra capacity of coolant is held in the system. However, at speed, if you data log, you will see iat2 temps decrease at a more rapid rate than the stock unit. Larger HE units are even more beneficial in 80-100+ degree temps. If you are in 40-70 degree temps, it's not as needed.

I wouldn't worry about the radiator cooling. The a/c and he fins allow air to flow through them. It's not like the air hits a brick wall. Plus, the CTS-V has a pretty good Efan and when it kicks off it will pull a decent amt of cfm through the radiator.

Of more concern is the stupid license plate which blocks airflow to the lower grill... And that doesn't cause these cars to overheat.

#16 ·
So it's a metal finned radiator with plastic end tanks? That's pretty standard, I guess. Most OEM radiators are like this, from what I've seen. Aftermarket parts are usually all metal.

I am curious that you found a larger aftermarket HX which performed worse than stock. What model?

#17 ·
Ya aftermarket hx is usually all metal cos it's cheaper to make same as cold air kits smaller company's always use mettal pipes because it's cheaper.

Sry I rather not say which company hx I had. My problem was not the hx it was that the whole lower grill was blocked.. I think people in cooler weather will not have same problems

#18 ·
Halla! Here is my experience. I am from Abu Dhabi and I live in tempe arizona to go to school. My cousin has a 2011 V that is pushing about 690rwhp. He is running the Katech heat exchanger and he is loving it. It does not sit on the bottom grille, rather, its perfect for daily driving because its in front of the radiator and the fans are constantly running when you are in stop and go traffic. From my experience, the bottom mount heat exchangers are PERFECT for drag racing and the strip. The Katech design is definitely meant for daily use and in everyday stop and go traffic.

I have a Katech on my car right now and its running perfect in Arizona's weather. The car is going to the shop on Monday and we will be doing a 700rwhp++ build and I have no doubt in my mind that the katech heat exchanger will be awesome. I am shipping the car to Abu Dhabi in a few months and I know for a fact that it will be fine.

Hope this helps, good luck!

#25 ·
Geez guys its only a forum for people to air their own views, no need for personal attacks...

Anyways thanks for the constructive responses, seems opinion is divided.. the Katech seems a good compromise but it does state on their website 'not for use in hot desert climates' ... hmm, maybe methanol is a better route

#27 ·
What I'd really like to see- if it's more cost effective to go with an aftermarket IC or to go with one of the active coolers we've seen running off the A/C. The massive drops in IAT with the super chiller are really, really tempting... Especially if it does as advertised.

#28 · (Edited)
Electronics Product Record player Technology Electronic device

Have you seen anything on this large HX coolant tank? Looks like a well done job if you really want to stay with a HX vs. chiller...

1.69 Gallons of extra capacity
All fittings will be included
3/4 inch NPT inlet/outlet size
Outlet has screen welded onto it so you can add ice into system
For outlet pipe we made it on the complete opposite side of entry fitting so you get complete mixing
1/4 inch NPT for drain valve
Tig welded
Made out of .100 aluminum
Biggest tank avil. on the market.

#32 ·
Sry guys been cave diving the red sea for a week first day on dry land today thats why no advice from the pro on this hehe.

I agreeeeeee a million times keatch hx is the best street strip hx it sees more air from the fans and it dose not block the lower grill and its twice the size of stock.. What more do you need ill be ordering one when i get home tomorow for sure.. I have my stock logs and my kdi logs in maybe 10 days ill have the katch logs and will try to make a utube video to compare all three.

#34 ·
Umrswimr said:
Think you can find someplace where you can replicate a road course? Basically lots of WOT and braking, even if it's on the street. 1-2-3 pulls are nice and all, but I'm curious to see when you run it up and down through the gears for a few minutes.
My stock exchanger keeps my V from heat soak all day long on the road course. The last day was a 93 degree day at VIR.

----------

Look, I'm not an engineer and I couldn't get very technical on this subject, but I can comprehend some basic principles.

Being huge and accepting more volume sounds great, but if its not as efficient as stock, what does it matter?

Behe told me that fins per inch was among the most important in cooling. That's why he recommended keeping the stock unit for my setup.

Here's a link I found...

http://www.lytron.com/Tools-and-Technical-Reference/Application-Notes/Fins-for-Cooling-Success

#38 ·
well...the intercooler/heatx is the main thing GM upgraded on the ZL1 from the V.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.co...e_2012_inside_the_580hp_camaro_zl1/index.html

Intercooler
Much of the ZL1's power increase over the CTS-V's 556 hp comes courtesy of efficiency gains found in the LSA's air-to-liquid intercooler.
"Compared to the CTS-V, the intercooler brick had to be pushed forward in the ZL1," Roma explains. "And because we ended up redoing the whole thing, we decided to optimize it."

The team analyzed the tube-and-fin cooler's water flow rate on both sides, the water flow rate through the tubes, and the airflow rate at the other side. The brick's dimensions and its fin pitch were optimized for pressure drop on the air side, as well as on the water circuit. And the pump and heat exchanger sizes were adjusted--the former thanks to Chevy's "hot rod" Volt.

"The ZL1's intercooler is incredibly efficient, and it keeps the intake air temps in the range where the engine keeps making great power," Roma says proudly.

#40 ·
well...the intercooler/heatx is the main thing GM upgraded on the ZL1 from the V.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.co...e_2012_inside_the_580hp_camaro_zl1/index.html

Intercooler
Much of the ZL1's power increase over the CTS-V's 556 hp comes courtesy of efficiency gains found in the LSA's air-to-liquid intercooler.
"Compared to the CTS-V, the intercooler brick had to be pushed forward in the ZL1," Roma explains. "And because we ended up redoing the whole thing, we decided to optimize it."

The team analyzed the tube-and-fin cooler's water flow rate on both sides, the water flow rate through the tubes, and the airflow rate at the other side. The brick's dimensions and its fin pitch were optimized for pressure drop on the air side, as well as on the water circuit. And the pump and heat exchanger sizes were adjusted--the former thanks to Chevy's "hot rod" Volt.

"The ZL1's intercooler is incredibly efficient, and it keeps the intake air temps in the range where the engine keeps making great power," Roma says proudly.
Well, if that is adaptable to the V, that may be my next cooling mod. Enough of this coolant capacity mumbo-jumbo. I want efficiency...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.