Heat Exchanger in Hot Climates? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Heat Exchanger in Hot Climates? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by thebigjimsho Well, if that is adaptable to the V, that may be my next cooling mod. Enough ...
    Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

Re: Heat Exchanger in Hot Climates?

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Well, if that is adaptable to the V, that may be my next cooling mod. Enough of this coolant capacity mumbo-jumbo. I want efficiency...
    Quote Originally Posted by FFBOS View Post
    If you go on the other site under cooling. There is a great option for us. A 1.8 gallon expansion tank that looks factory. I'm installing soon and it should drop IAT's a lot. I'm running a W4M HE right now with the stocker and stock pump.
    Quote Originally Posted by kj217 View Post
    which site?
    cts-v owners. Or google WeaponX Motorsports - he has a couple of nice options, one mounts in the lower grill, one is twice as large as the factory replacement, and a third I forgot. Some people with big mods even run them in tandem.

There are some good end-user reports of temp drop and other experiments (like larger coolant reservoir, etc).

kj217 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by Q8 6.2 View Post

Wow how do you boil fluid in only a 1/4 of a mile must be something wrong.

I have my car for more than 3 years changed hx 3 times the worst was the kdi it made my whole car hot even the trans, Ac ,power steering and engine coolant ac compressor blew up cos it didnt get any air circulation large hx block the whole lower grill.... stock was second best for me very fast cool down it was good if you only do wot for 1/4 mile at a time the best hx is the ketch hx more than a year with it iat 2 colder that 1 and a lot more cooling power than anything else and dose not block the limited grill space to cool everything else..

Here is a video it shows you how good the ketch hx dose it was 47 deg in hot dry desert climate that day pistons should have turned to liquid metal at 14 psi for this long
    This run is legal in the middle of no where http://youtu.be/k-VSzp_P7DA
    nice run,,
    since you have been through this,,
    can you tell which hx is this?

PicsArt_1372972575924.jpg

i live in saudi arabia and we suffer almost same weather,,

Q8 6.2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS/V

nice run,,
    since you have been through this,,
    can you tell which hx is this?

Attachment 122626

i live in saudi arabia and we suffer almost same weather,,

Hi I don't know what is it but I can tell u it's not kdi or ketch .. Do not install this in hot climat it will block lower grill and make ur car run hotter

Hi I don't know what is it but I can tell u it's not kdi or ketch .. Do not install this in hot climat it will block lower grill and make ur car run hotter
    its already installed by the previous owner and he has no idea what he paid his builder for,,
    am afraid its w4m's running without the stock hx coz it still has enough room behind it to reinstall the stock hx,,
    also given that both pipes are running into the same side (passenger),, then i assume its a 2-row system,, if it was the case i would love to run it with stock hx as it makes more sense to me,, my second option is katech,,

its already installed by the previous owner and he has no idea what he paid his builder for,,
    am afraid its w4m's running without the stock hx coz it still has enough room behind it to reinstall the stock hx,,
    also given that both pipes are running into the same side (passenger),, then i assume its a 2-row system,, if it was the case i would love to run it with stock hx as it makes more sense to me,, my second option is katech,,
    If you have better pics I'm sure someone here can tell you what it is.

Just for info on my pickup I added a second larger hx it did nothing iat stayed exactly the same

If you have better pics I'm sure someone here can tell you what it is.

Just for info on my pickup I added a second larger hx it did nothing iat stayed exactly the same
    you added to katech?

Sry no I mean I installed 2 hx in my pick- up truck

I have my car for more than 3 years changed hx 3 times the worst was the kdi it made my whole car hot even the trans, Ac ,power steering and engine coolant ac compressor blew up cos it didnt get any air circulation large hx block the whole lower grill.... stock was second best for me very fast cool down it was good if you only do wot for 1/4 mile at a time the best hx is the ketch hx more than a year with it iat 2 colder that 1 and a lot more cooling power than anything else and dose not block the limited grill space to cool everything else..

Here is a video it shows you how good the ketch hx dose it was 47 deg in hot dry desert climate that day pistons should have turned to liquid metal at 14 psi for this long
    i would like to know more about ac issue u had with kdi

CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe

I didn't boil it out in one run. I thought my stock Hx was just being inefficient. But it actually took a dozen runs or more and I couldn't get it to cool down. The next day I was able to pour 3/4 of a gallon of coolant into the stock Hx. It ran much better but not as good as the Track Attack a buddy of mine was running from WeaponX. He has just about everything done to his car and is running over 800 hp to the wheels. We are in NewMexico. 100+ ºF days. Not as hot as Dubai or places on the Saudi peninsula. I can say this cause spent alot of time in that area of the world. But he runs 10-20 above ambient and takes just a few seconds to cool back down after pulls. It does really well at cooling down while waiting in staging lanes.

i would like to know more about ac issue u had with kdi
    First let me be clear it's not kdi fault it's the placement of a very large aluminum hx in lower grill blocking outside cold air to that area.That area gets very very hot... heat in that area is as hot as the engin most of the engin hot air gets dumpd in that area it's to far for the fans to pull the heat out you have to keep moving to get it to cool down. My kdi used to get so hot in stop and go traffic iat2 was crazy high without boost...

Ok about the Ac compressor ... Well after kdi hx install it was winter time didn't have any problems ..as summer heat came I started to notice in stop and go traffic and on traffic light stops my Ac would cycle on off on off it did it for a week then one day in traffic booooooom hahaha big blue smoke came from engin... Ac shut down took it to dealer they fixed it under warrantee it started to cycle on off again in trafic so removed hx installed the stock back on.. Emidatly noticed a much colder Ac cooler running car throttle responce much improved then about six months later got the ketch hx wow even better than stock placement is perfect dose not block outside air and its very close to the fans my iat2 is even colder than iat1

----------

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanB52 View Post
    I didn't boil it out in one run. I thought my stock Hx was just being inefficient. But it actually took a dozen runs or more and I couldn't get it to cool down. The next day I was able to pour 3/4 of a gallon of coolant into the stock Hx. It ran much better but not as good as the Track Attack a buddy of mine was running from WeaponX. He has just about everything done to his car and is running over 800 hp to the wheels. We are in NewMexico. 100+ ºF days. Not as hot as Dubai or places on the Saudi peninsula. I can say this cause spent alot of time in that area of the world. But he runs 10-20 above ambient and takes just a few seconds to cool back down after pulls. It does really well at cooling down while waiting in staging lanes.
    Oh ok looks like you had low coolant.. Here is a tip that I always do to get maximum cooling I drain all the coolant out I use 90% distill water 10% water wetter I add a few drops of coolant just for waterpump lubrication and calcium deposit

First let me be clear it's not kdi fault it's the placement of a very large aluminum hx in lower grill blocking outside cold air to that area.That area gets very very hot... heat in that area is as hot as the engin most of the engin hot air gets dumpd in that area it's to far for the fans to pull the heat out you have to keep moving to get it to cool down. My kdi used to get so hot in stop and go traffic iat2 was crazy high without boost...

Ok about the Ac compressor ... Well after kdi hx install it was winter time didn't have any problems ..as summer heat came I started to notice in stop and go traffic and on traffic light stops my Ac would cycle on off on off it did it for a week then one day in traffic booooooom hahaha big blue smoke came from engin... Ac shut down took it to dealer they fixed it under warrantee it started to cycle on off again in trafic so removed hx installed the stock back on.. Emidatly noticed a much colder Ac cooler running car throttle responce much improved then about six months later got the ketch hx wow even better than stock placement is perfect dose not block outside air and its very close to the fans my iat2 is even colder than iat1
    i guess am sold to katech's,, i wish i can find one used here in the forums,,
    do you have the radiator upgraded as recommended by katech?

i guess am sold to katech's,, i wish i can find one used here in the forums,,
    do you have the radiator upgraded as recommended by katech?
    I have stock radiator upgraded radiator is not very important yes the cooling system is struggling badly you need to keep fans on full power all the time.. I think GM designd cooling when the v6 Cts came out the V8 is afterthought and didn't have space to add supporting cooling mods.

I also added the ketch thermostat it did nothing my temps are exactly in the same place as when I had the 160 thermostat.

Oh ok looks like you had low coolant.. Here is a tip that I always do to get maximum cooling I drain all the coolant out I use 90% distill water 10% water wetter I add a few drops of coolant just for waterpump lubrication and calcium deposit
    water wetter is an anti freeze?
    we dont need it in our area,,

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanB52 View Post

i would appreciate your feedback on the track attack hx,, am swinging between katech and this one,,

water wetter is an anti freeze?
    we dont need it in our area,,
    That is very interesting I see all my friends using it they said it works so I just copy them.

Are you Saudi can you come here ? there is a d3 radiator for sale cheap and other stuff I am not keeping this car or I would get them

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.