Heat Exchanger in Hot Climates? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Heat Exchanger in Hot Climates? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by Phil Raymond Well the fluidyne HX showed up on my steps today. I'm planning on logging some ...
    Umrswimr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: Heat Exchanger in Hot Climates?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Raymond View Post
    Well the fluidyne HX showed up on my steps today. I'm planning on logging some IATs before and after installing it, so that will be some data on the HX side. I'm stock with the pump and no coolant tank...should have some data early next week if I can get it installed this weekend
    Think you can find someplace where you can replicate a road course? Basically lots of WOT and braking, even if it's on the street. 1-2-3 pulls are nice and all, but I'm curious to see when you run it up and down through the gears for a few minutes.

Q8 6.2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS/V

Sry guys been cave diving the red sea for a week first day on dry land today thats why no advice from the pro on this hehe.

I agreeeeeee a million times keatch hx is the best street strip hx it sees more air from the fans and it dose not block the lower grill and its twice the size of stock.. What more do you need ill be ordering one when i get home tomorow for sure.. I have my stock logs and my kdi logs in maybe 10 days ill have the katch logs and will try to make a utube video to compare all three.

Chrispy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS Luxury

Looking forward to seeing the logs

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Umrswimr

Think you can find someplace where you can replicate a road course? Basically lots of WOT and braking, even if it's on the street. 1-2-3 pulls are nice and all, but I'm curious to see when you run it up and down through the gears for a few minutes.
    My stock exchanger keeps my V from heat soak all day long on the road course. The last day was a 93 degree day at VIR.

----------

Look, I'm not an engineer and I couldn't get very technical on this subject, but I can comprehend some basic principles.

Being huge and accepting more volume sounds great, but if its not as efficient as stock, what does it matter?

Behe told me that fins per inch was among the most important in cooling. That's why he recommended keeping the stock unit for my setup.

Here's a link I found...

http://www.lytron.com/Tools-and-Tech...ooling-Success

Umrswimr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

My stock exchanger keeps my V from heat soak all day long on the road course. The last day was a 93 degree day at VIR
    So the engine kept full timing the entire time? I've heard stories of the computer pulling timing above ~150 IAT, which would seem pretty likely...

Quote Originally Posted by Umrswimr
    So the engine kept full timing the entire time? I've heard stories of the computer pulling timing above ~150 IAT, which would seem pretty likely...
    Butt dyno. I was running with a modded C5 Vette and never fell behind or lost pace...

FastMatt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

why not leave the stock H/E in place hooked up and add one like the D3 in the lower grill and the water going threw the 2 of them?

kirbyCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V manual

well...the intercooler/heatx is the main thing GM upgraded on the ZL1 from the V.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...zl1/index.html

Intercooler
    Much of the ZL1's power increase over the CTS-V's 556 hp comes courtesy of efficiency gains found in the LSA's air-to-liquid intercooler.
    "Compared to the CTS-V, the intercooler brick had to be pushed forward in the ZL1," Roma explains. "And because we ended up redoing the whole thing, we decided to optimize it."

The team analyzed the tube-and-fin cooler's water flow rate on both sides, the water flow rate through the tubes, and the airflow rate at the other side. The brick's dimensions and its fin pitch were optimized for pressure drop on the air side, as well as on the water circuit. And the pump and heat exchanger sizes were adjusted--the former thanks to Chevy's "hot rod" Volt.

"The ZL1's intercooler is incredibly efficient, and it keeps the intake air temps in the range where the engine keeps making great power," Roma says proudly.

FFBOS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Black Raven CTS-V (613rwhp/606rwtq) 10.7@125

If you go on the other site under cooling. There is a great option for us. A 1.8 gallon expansion tank that looks factory. I'm installing soon and it should drop IAT's a lot. I'm running a W4M HE right now with the stocker and stock pump.

Quote Originally Posted by kirbyCTSV View Post
    well...the intercooler/heatx is the main thing GM upgraded on the ZL1 from the V.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...zl1/index.html

Intercooler
    Much of the ZL1's power increase over the CTS-V's 556 hp comes courtesy of efficiency gains found in the LSA's air-to-liquid intercooler.
    "Compared to the CTS-V, the intercooler brick had to be pushed forward in the ZL1," Roma explains. "And because we ended up redoing the whole thing, we decided to optimize it."

The team analyzed the tube-and-fin cooler's water flow rate on both sides, the water flow rate through the tubes, and the airflow rate at the other side. The brick's dimensions and its fin pitch were optimized for pressure drop on the air side, as well as on the water circuit. And the pump and heat exchanger sizes were adjusted--the former thanks to Chevy's "hot rod" Volt.

"The ZL1's intercooler is incredibly efficient, and it keeps the intake air temps in the range where the engine keeps making great power," Roma says proudly.
    Well, if that is adaptable to the V, that may be my next cooling mod. Enough of this coolant capacity mumbo-jumbo. I want efficiency...

kj217 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by FFBOS View Post
    If you go on the other site under cooling. There is a great option for us. A 1.8 gallon expansion tank that looks factory. I'm installing soon and it should drop IAT's a lot. I'm running a W4M HE right now with the stocker and stock pump.
    which site?

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels
    I just saw my first ZL1 today a a dealership while waiting for my car. It's impressive how much more space there is in the engine bay. Talk about efficiency and heat dissipation...the extra 6 inches of empty air space all around the ZL1 motor probably makes a huge difference.

BlownV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

So how much is the HX for the ZL1? Bolt and go?

CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    Wish i would of read most of this prior to buying. I was able to boil the fluid out of my stock Hx while at the track making 1/4 mile passes. Maybe it wasnt entirely filled to start with i dont know. So I bought a Track Attack from WeaponX. It is five times the size of the stock Hx. But the fins and tubes are definitely further apart so probably not as efficient by the size... But I'm hopeing size rules in this matter. Was this a bad decision? It goes on in a few days. And I heard those super coolers are really complex to tune.

Q8 6.2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS/V

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanB52 View Post
    Wish i would of read most of this prior to buying. I was able to boil the fluid out of my stock Hx while at the track making 1/4 mile passes. Maybe it wasnt entirely filled to start with i dont know. So I bought a Track Attack from WeaponX. It is five times the size of the stock Hx. But the fins and tubes are definitely further apart so probably not as efficient by the size... But I'm hopeing size rules in this matter. Was this a bad decision? It goes on in a few days. And I heard those super coolers are really complex to tune.
    Wow how do you boil fluid in only a 1/4 of a mile must be something wrong.

I have my car for more than 3 years changed hx 3 times the worst was the kdi it made my whole car hot even the trans, Ac ,power steering and engine coolant ac compressor blew up cos it didnt get any air circulation large hx block the whole lower grill.... stock was second best for me very fast cool down it was good if you only do wot for 1/4 mile at a time the best hx is the ketch hx more than a year with it iat 2 colder that 1 and a lot more cooling power than anything else and dose not block the limited grill space to cool everything else..

Here is a video it shows you how good the ketch hx dose it was 47 deg in hot dry desert climate that day pistons should have turned to liquid metal at 14 psi for this long
    This run is legal in the middle of no where http://youtu.be/k-VSzp_P7DA

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.