Heat Exchanger in Hot Climates? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Heat Exchanger in Hot Climates? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So it's a metal finned radiator with plastic end tanks? That's pretty standard, I guess. Most OEM radiators are like ...
    Umrswimr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: Heat Exchanger in Hot Climates?

So it's a metal finned radiator with plastic end tanks? That's pretty standard, I guess. Most OEM radiators are like this, from what I've seen. Aftermarket parts are usually all metal.

I am curious that you found a larger aftermarket HX which performed worse than stock. What model?

Q8 6.2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS/V

Ya aftermarket hx is usually all metal cos it's cheaper to make same as cold air kits smaller company's always use mettal pipes because it's cheaper.

Sry I rather not say which company hx I had. My problem was not the hx it was that the whole lower grill was blocked.. I think people in cooler weather will not have same problems

Evil_V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 cts-v

Halla! Here is my experience. I am from Abu Dhabi and I live in tempe arizona to go to school. My cousin has a 2011 V that is pushing about 690rwhp. He is running the Katech heat exchanger and he is loving it. It does not sit on the bottom grille, rather, its perfect for daily driving because its in front of the radiator and the fans are constantly running when you are in stop and go traffic. From my experience, the bottom mount heat exchangers are PERFECT for drag racing and the strip. The Katech design is definitely meant for daily use and in everyday stop and go traffic.

I have a Katech on my car right now and its running perfect in Arizona's weather. The car is going to the shop on Monday and we will be doing a 700rwhp++ build and I have no doubt in my mind that the katech heat exchanger will be awesome. I am shipping the car to Abu Dhabi in a few months and I know for a fact that it will be fine.

Hope this helps, good luck!

SecretWeapon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Sedan, M6, Silver/Ebony

f
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_V View Post
    Halla! Here is my experience. I am from Abu Dhabi and I live in tempe arizona to go to school. My cousin has a 2011 V that is pushing about 690rwhp. He is running the Katech heat exchanger and he is loving it. It does not sit on the bottom grille, rather, its perfect for daily driving because its in front of the radiator and the fans are constantly running when you are in stop and go traffic. From my experience, the bottom mount heat exchangers are PERFECT for drag racing and the strip. The Katech design is definitely meant for daily use and in everyday stop and go traffic.

I have a Katech on my car right now and its running perfect in Arizona's weather. The car is going to the shop on Monday and we will be doing a 700rwhp++ build and I have no doubt in my mind that the katech heat exchanger will be awesome. I am shipping the car to Abu Dhabi in a few months and I know for a fact that it will be fine.

This sounds pretty accurate to me. Good luck with the build.

Da V-Man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Actually, no, it's not helpful. All you've done is express opinions and emotions. And you talk about how wonderful the Katech is in stop & go traffic, where an intercooler is not used or needed. How about recording and posting some IAT1/IAT2 temps while doing a series of WOT blasts in the AZ heat? Now, that would be helpful.
    BlownV likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Da V-Man View Post
    Actually, no, it's not helpful. All you've done is express opinions and emotions. And you talk about how wonderful the Katech is in stop & go traffic, where an intercooler is not used or needed. How about recording and posting some IAT1/IAT2 temps while doing a series of WOT blasts in the AZ heat? Now, that would be helpful.
    Lol. I have a feeling I know exactly who you are, troll. Let me guess, all the heat exchangers are a piece of crap except for the KDI heat exchanger, right? Lmao.

Why don't you do your own experiment? Why don't you buy a katech and 2 other heat exchangers and test which one performs better at WOT on the street and record IAT as you are driving in everyday situations not being under boost? I've done it, or the shop that I deal with did it, rather. I can tell this now, D3's heat exchanger performed the best at the strip. Katech performed really good on the street because of its design. Screw recording crap, how about this, I can tell you for a FACT that the Katech heat exchanger will out perform ANY heat exchanger, especially KDI's, on the street and especially in hot climate areas such as Texas, AZ, and U.A.E . Now run a long and go prove me wrong . Remember, I said STREET and not TRACK, Katech is not designed to for the track. Its perfect for the daily driving conditions based on how the fans are placed and where the heat exchanger is placed. That's the point I am trying to get across. But go ahead and prove me wrong, troll .

I am sorry I am stealing your thread OP, its just I am 99.99999% sure that this troll is a troll I know on the cadillacowners.com forums. He comes here from time to time under dummy accounts and tries to talk crap about competitions because he is a vendor on another forum. Kind of pathetic, I know.

But dude, back to your problem... wallah, trust me. The Katech is all you will need for Dubai's weather. Are you going back home this summer? I can give you my cousin's number back home and he will tell you all about it if you want.

Da V-Man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Lol. I have a feeling I know exactly who you are, troll. Let me guess, all the heat exchangers are a piece of crap except for the KDI heat exchanger, right? Lmao.

Why don't you do your own experiment? Why don't you buy a katech and 2 other heat exchangers and test which one performs better at WOT on the street and record IAT as you are driving in everyday situations not being under boost? I've done it, or the shop that I deal with did it, rather. I can tell this now, D3's heat exchanger performed the best at the strip. Katech performed really good on the street because of its design. Screw recording crap, how about this, I can tell you for a FACT that the Katech heat exchanger will out perform ANY heat exchanger, especially KDI's, on the street and especially in hot climate areas such as Texas, AZ, and U.A.E . Now run a long and go prove me wrong . Remember, I said STREET and not TRACK, Katech is not designed to for the track. Its perfect for the daily driving conditions based on how the fans are placed and where the heat exchanger is placed. That's the point I am trying to get across. But go ahead and prove me wrong, troll .

I am sorry I am stealing your thread OP, its just I am 99.99999% sure that this troll is a troll I know on the cadillacowners.com forums. He comes here from time to time under dummy accounts and tries to talk crap about competitions because he is a vendor on another forum. Kind of pathetic, I know.

But dude, back to your problem... wallah, trust me. The Katech is all you will need for Dubai's weather. Are you going back home this summer? I can give you my cousin's number back home and he will tell you all about it if you want.
    Unbelievable. I merely ask you to back up your subjective comments with real data and you come back with this useless tirade. The fact that you became so defensive tells me all I need to know. I am not going to respond to this drivel, or to anything else you have to say.

I am not who you seem to think I am, so why don't you go find a nice air-conditioned class to attend at ASU and think up other ways to waste your daddy's money.

Quote Originally Posted by Da V-Man View Post
    Unbelievable. I merely ask you to back up your subjective comments with real data and you come back with this useless tirade. The fact that you became so defensive tells me all I need to know. I am not going to respond to this drivel, or to anything else you have to say.

I am not who you seem to think I am, so why don't you go find a nice air-conditioned class to attend at ASU and think up other ways to waste your daddy's money.
    Bahahha I know exactly who you are. I just graduated ASU not too long ago. Its kind of hard for my daddy to give me money from the grave... since he is dead and all. Unless his ghost might be giving me money.... not sure. Like an escape tunnel in prison, I started from scratch. At 23 years old, I got a shop, 4 cars, and about to buy a house, all from that ghost money . Just because you could barely afford your car doesn't mean that other people who are well off are using their daddy's money . But lets stick to the subject, troll. Go ahead and prove me wrong, Katech is the BEST heat exchanger for daily driving on the streets .

tbauer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTSV Sedan 651HP/644TQ

Well once again a decent thread stopped cold before any real answers could be discovered or proven.

Tampa2Dubai is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS-V Sedan

Geez guys its only a forum for people to air their own views, no need for personal attacks...

Anyways thanks for the constructive responses, seems opinion is divided.. the Katech seems a good compromise but it does state on their website 'not for use in hot desert climates' ... hmm, maybe methanol is a better route

tbauer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTSV Sedan 651HP/644TQ

Havasusteve can give you the low down on meth on his car. He's making great power and his set up looks awesome.
    Tampa2Dubai and Tampa2Dubai like this.

What I'd really like to see- if it's more cost effective to go with an aftermarket IC or to go with one of the active coolers we've seen running off the A/C. The massive drops in IAT with the super chiller are really, really tempting... Especially if it does as advertised.

Phil Raymond is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V 2011 Coupe

HX Coolant Tank.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Umrswimr View Post
    What I'd really like to see- if it's more cost effective to go with an aftermarket IC or to go with one of the active coolers we've seen running off the A/C. The massive drops in IAT with the super chiller are really, really tempting... Especially if it does as advertised.
    Have you seen anything on this large HX coolant tank? Looks like a well done job if you really want to stay with a HX vs. chiller...

1.69 Gallons of extra capacity
    All fittings will be included
    3/4 inch NPT inlet/outlet size
    Outlet has screen welded onto it so you can add ice into system
    For outlet pipe we made it on the complete opposite side of entry fitting so you get complete mixing
    1/4 inch NPT for drain valve
    Tig welded
    Made out of .100 aluminum
    Biggest tank avil. on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Raymond View Post
    Attachment 92475

Have you seen anything on this large HX coolant tank? Looks like a well done job if you really want to stay with a HX vs. chiller...

1.69 Gallons of extra capacity
    All fittings will be included
    3/4 inch NPT inlet/outlet size
    Outlet has screen welded onto it so you can add ice into system
    For outlet pipe we made it on the complete opposite side of entry fitting so you get complete mixing
    1/4 inch NPT for drain valve
    Tig welded
    Made out of .100 aluminum
    Biggest tank avil. on the market.
    I did see that, actually. I haven't done enough research to see if the limitation in our system is fluid volume or heat exhanger efficiency. For example- If the HX is terribly inefficient, the added volume will only help in the beginning or on a drag race. On the street or a racetrack the SC/engine heat will eventually overcome the HX and temps will rise (albiet at a slower rate). If the issue is that you need more coolant (and maybe a bigger pump?), you might be able to keep the HX ahead of the heat the SC creates. Really is hard to say without data.

Phil Raymond is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V 2011 Coupe

Well the fluidyne HX showed up on my steps today. I'm planning on logging some IATs before and after installing it, so that will be some data on the HX side. I'm stock with the pump and no coolant tank...should have some data early next week if I can get it installed this weekend

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.