When to Replace Brake Pads on '09 CTS-V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, When to Replace Brake Pads on '09 CTS-V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I picked up an '09 CTS-V a few months ago with 39K miles on it, and now have approximately 42K ...
    CTS-V Dragon Wagon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon

Question When to Replace Brake Pads on '09 CTS-V

I picked up an '09 CTS-V a few months ago with 39K miles on it, and now have approximately 42K and change. When should I expect to change out the brake pads? Any special procedure required? Do I also need to look at replacing the rotors? I'm just trying to find out if I can buy parts and do this with a very mechanically inclined buddy of mine, and how easy or difficult it would be. Note that I haven't tracked the vehicle and do not plan to, as this is a pure daily driver. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    I'm in the same boat as you. My pads are starting to squeal just a bit when stopping so I've got some in the office ready to get installed next weekend. From what I've been told here, there are no reasons to have to cut the rotors if your driving style is as you stated. I plan on having the new pads put in and go.

rbanshee1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapspeed
    I'm in the same boat as you. My pads are starting to squeal just a bit when stopping so I've got some in the office ready to get installed next weekend. From what I've been told here, there are no reasons to have to cut the rotors if your driving style is as you stated. I plan on having the new pads put in and go.
    What are the pad part#s and did you get them from dealership?

Teutonaddict is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 13 6MN Vagon OBM

Re: When to Replace Brake Pads on '09 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by rbanshee1 View Post
    What are the pad part#s and did you get them from dealership?
    Replacing pads is easier on the V2 than on any other vehicle I've owned, and I've done my own brake jobs for years. You should replace the pad once the friction material thickness is less than the thickness of the backing plate (a good rule of thumb that doesn't require measurement). Mileage will vary depending on driving style (and 93% of your V's miles were from the previous owner, so you really don't know).

Many folks have swapped pads for alternative friction materials either for better performance, or lower dusting, or both. Many folks, myself included, have gone with Hawk Ceramics. Do a search on 'brake pad' and you'll find the part numbers, or the universal numbers corresponding to each pad shape (no matter which brand you choose).

There's a great DIY page on pad replacement for the V1, which is essentially the same mechanically as the V2. I'll see if I can locate it.

Here it is:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...nge/index.html

Only difference is the addition of a 13mm bolt that you'll need to remove in addition to the slide pins to get the old pads out. They pop out "like a toaster" from the top of the caliper--no need to even unbolt the calipers.

I got a set from a vendor I've used before (not sure I can mention his name). They are Posi-Quiets. Front- 104.14050. Rear- 104.10530.

smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

You can check and see the the brake pad wear indicator are on the pads.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonaddict View Post
    Replacing pads is easier on the V2 than on any other vehicle I've owned, and I've done my own brake jobs for years. You should replace the pad once the friction material thickness is less than the thickness of the backing plate (a good rule of thumb that doesn't require measurement). Mileage will vary depending on driving style (and 93% of your V's miles were from the previous owner, so you really don't know).

Many folks have swapped pads for alternative friction materials either for better performance, or lower dusting, or both. Many folks, myself included, have gone with Hawk Ceramics. Do a search on 'brake pad' and you'll find the part numbers, or the universal numbers corresponding to each pad shape (no matter which brand you choose).

There's a great DIY page on pad replacement for the V1, which is essentially the same mechanically as the V2. I'll see if I can locate it.

Here it is:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...nge/index.html

Only difference is the addition of a 13mm bolt that you'll need to remove in addition to the slide pins to get the old pads out. They pop out "like a toaster" from the top of the caliper--no need to even unbolt the calipers.
    I pickedup some Hawk ceramics to give a try on the new V, but honestly?

For daily driving, Autozone Cmax in the front, and Gold in the rear. $125 with tax. The Cmax are ceramics, the golds are a low-dust semi-metallic.

cut down the dust by 80%, and stopped just fine when I went out to do some autocross and 1/4 mile days. If I had to nit-pick, the pedal feel was pretty wooden(but all ceramics are wooden..) and I'm not sure I'd trust them to stop the car as effectively at a texas mile event or at anything above 150. I have no reason to believe that they wouldn't stop the car at or near top speed except that they were so cheap and are ceramics.. but other than that, they worked.

as mentioned, pad life is directly proportional to use. A non-tracked V2's pads and rotors could last 100K, but there are also people that go through pads in 1500miles.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    I pickedup some Hawk ceramics to give a try on the new V, but honestly?

For daily driving, Autozone Cmax in the front, and Gold in the rear. $125 with tax. The Cmax are ceramics, the golds are a low-dust semi-metallic.

cut down the dust by 80%, and stopped just fine when I went out to do some autocross and 1/4 mile days. If I had to nit-pick, the pedal feel was pretty wooden(but all ceramics are wooden..) and I'm not sure I'd trust them to stop the car as effectively at a texas mile event or at anything above 150. I have no reason to believe that they wouldn't stop the car at or near top speed except that they were so cheap and are ceramics.. but other than that, they worked.

as mentioned, pad life is directly proportional to use. A non-tracked V2's pads and rotors could last 100K, but there are also people that go through pads in 1500miles.
    M5 said it all! I did exactly the same thing, unless I track it, then I put the stockers back on.

Tedboss1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV Auto

Would you have the part numbers for Autozone pads?

The gold SD rears are DG1053SD--- I have a suspicion that the only difference between the SD and the regular is that you pay $5 more for an extra hardware set in the CTS-V's case, but the 'SD' duralast pads are normally a higher-temp friction pad.

Cmax front pads ; DGC1405

The normal gold rears are DG1053

Again, the Cmax are real ceramics, the golds are a semi-metallic, although frankly because the rears do so little braking, the fronts still get more dusty than I'm willing to accept before the rears do.

There are no cmax rear pads.

Tedboss1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV Auto

I don't want to nitpick but on Autozone website DG1405 are identified as semi-metallic pads?
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=236629_0_0_

----------

Sorry.
    Just found the answer to my question.
    I should be looking at DGC1405
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=237454_0_0_

CTS-V Dragon Wagon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon

Followed your suggestion and the Autozone CMax and Gold's arrived today. I'm having a co-worker help me install the pads, although he'll be doing most of the work because...he knows what he's doing. Question--what should I pay him for lending his expertise (and probably turning most of the wrenches)? He's one of those guys that, after the work is done, would say, "Aw, you don't owe me anything", but I think everyone's time is worth something.

For a 4 wheel pad replacement on 6 and 4 pot brembos, I'd say $50 if he knocks it out real fast, $100 if he does it carefully and doesn't damage the paint(if you care about such things). Brembo pad changes are as easy as it gets, It should only take aprox 15-minutes per wheel after everything's jacked up.

After using the hawk's for a few months now I believe I can say that I can't feel any perceived difference between them and the Autozone Cmax. Both have marginally less braking/bite than the OEM pads, the Hawk's actually leave crappy deposits on the rotors that I didn't like to be honest, and the dusting is practically equal, it might be even more with the Hawk pads, I can't tell reliability.

So good choice in other words!

jonvontg1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v

I got 76K on my 09 cts-v. Still got the original pads & rotors. When should I change pads?

Quote Originally Posted by jonvontg1
    I got 76K on my 09 cts-v. Still got the original pads & rotors. When should I change pads?
    The short answer is "whenever you need them", of course, but have they been inspected lately? Make sure you don't scrap a rotor finding out the hard way!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.