2009-2012 Cadillac CTS-V New Era Performance Cold Air Intake for sale!!! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, 2009-2012 Cadillac CTS-V New Era Performance Cold Air Intake for sale!!! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; ...
    Q8 6.2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS/V

Re: 2009-2012 Cadillac CTS-V New Era Performance Cold Air Intake for sale!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
    shorter isnt better. You want a good balance between high end hp and low end tq. Lets put it this way. If you use a straw for a spit ball does it go faster when the straw is short or long
    You don't make séance u rambling crap man... are you talking about exhaust ? Even that shorter is better

Ok think of your lungs as a supercharger pulling outside air and feeding your body now bring two straws of different length try to pull air from both you will see less wind resistanctustin with the shorter straw didn't you lern that in high school

LSUFoolsball is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Sedan All options

Do you still have the intake? I am very interested!

BlownV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

I wish I wasn't swamped at work and I could run some sample simulations on differing intake designs using FLUENT (CFD analysis tool) right now. Working 70 hours weeks and I don't have the time to make all the geometry and run the models right now but I will get to it one of these weekends. There is so much MIS-information about airflow in this thread it is ridiculous and makes me cringe as an engineer. But in short, the length of the intake pipe is important and no, shorter is not necessarily better and absolutely false that shorter equals less turbulent flow. Please don't make these wildly inaccurate statements unless you truly understand the principles of fluid dynamics, have run the Reynold's number calculations, estimated the boundary layer profile and at least done some hand-calcs to estimate the pressure profile.

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

Quote Originally Posted by BlownV View Post
    I wish I wasn't swamped at work and I could run some sample simulations on differing intake designs using FLUENT (CFD analysis tool) right now. Working 70 hours weeks and I don't have the time to make all the geometry and run the models right now but I will get to it one of these weekends. There is so much MIS-information about airflow in this thread it is ridiculous and makes me cringe as an engineer. But in short, the length of the intake pipe is important and no, shorter is not necessarily better and absolutely false that shorter equals less turbulent flow. Please don't make these wildly inaccurate statements unless you truly understand the principles of fluid dynamics, have run the Reynold's number calculations, estimated the boundary layer profile and at least done some hand-calcs to estimate the pressure profile.
    So you are saying that something that PHYSICALLY shows less airflow restriction isn't better? Also saying that a gained horsepower level with all air fuel and spark levels being the same not better? Are you saying that Carbon is not better than thick Steel? Are you saying that less than a lb is better than a few lbs of added weight? Are you saying that 4inch ID is not going to flow better than 3.88ID?

In all physics, that just would not make sense...

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

Quote Originally Posted by wait4me View Post
    So you are saying that something that PHYSICALLY shows less airflow restriction isn't better? Also saying that a gained horsepower level with all air fuel and spark levels being the same not better? Are you saying that Carbon is not better than thick Steel? Are you saying that less than a lb is better than a few lbs of added weight? Are you saying that 4inch ID is not going to flow better than 3.88ID?

Depends on the scenario. It's well established that changing intakes can affect airflow characteristics around the MAF sensor, throwing off calibration depending on the shape, length, and distance of opening relative to the MAF sensor - with tube diameter being the easiest to understand.

So you have to define terms - but in your mind you're already assuming a specific set of variables in length, orientation and curve to fit the CTS V engine bay (and OEM filter location), which includes at least two turns for airflow. It's not just the least amount of resistance, but also the pattern of that airflow relative to the position of the MAF sensor.

Interestingly enough, this is probably why a great many aftermarket intakes and filters reduce performance: lack of testing relative to OEM components - not that this is specifically the case with your CAI or CTSV's in general, just that many of the CAI's on the market are junk.

As a complete tangent, Jesse - any dyno comparisons of your intake over a bone-stock V? I tried searching and didn't find anything but your youtube channel.

BlownV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

Hold all other variables constant, AFR, spark/timing, etc. I am not saying anything regarding carbon fiber vs. steel, one's weight vs. another. Lighter weight will always better from the standpoint of P/W and I think we all understand that. Carbon fiber will typically outperform metallic intakes just due to the better insulating properties of carbon. That is pretty cut and dry as well....heat transfer coefficients operate the same regardless of length/diameter, shape.

In terms of ID...a larger ID is ALMOST always better. There are a few exemptions depending on what you want the shape of your power curve to be. My point is primarily two things:

1. Shorter intake pipes will equal MORE turbulent flow. Plain and simple. The shorter the pipe, the less chance the flow has to establish a stable laminar boundary layer on the walls of the pipe. Think of shooting water into a funnel with a 2 inch length of tubing on the end of it vs. an 8 inch length of constant diameter tubing on the end. Which will come out more uniform and with less mixing of the gases into the fluid flow? Obviously the more turbulent the flow, the harder it is for the MAF to get an accurate reading...hence why old GM MAF's had honeycomb inserts in them before the resistors. Turbulent flow also exhibits a higher viscous force on the walls of the tube (differing Re number) and therefore it is 'harder' to pull turbulent air through a pipe than laminar flow.

2. Shorter is not necessarily better for an intake. The geometry (bends, diameter, filter location and style, etc) and the pressure differential in which the engine operates (which is what determines the mass flow through the pipe) will determine what the optimized design is. Larger diameter is almost always better...yes...but in terms of length you want it to be long enough to establish a flow that is laminar at the MAF and into the throttle body. Laminar flow at the throttle body will improve throttle response by effectively filling the intake manifold more rapidly. Think...why do intake manifolds have differing length runners for differing applications? Why do we need an intake pipe at all then if shorter is always better? Why not just put the MAF in the throttle body and stick a filter on the throttle body inlet? The key here is not making the intake longer than it NEEDS to be to establish laminar flow. Any additional length is equivalent at this point to 'sucking through a long straw vs. a short one' and all you are doing is adding surface area to the intake pipe that is exerting viscous forces on the flow and acting to slow it down.

My biggest problem with threads like this is that people try to deal in 'absolutes.' Engineering, fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, etc are all acts of balance. There are 'trends' and general 'rules of thumb' but absolute truths that are accurate in every possible combination of scenarios are very few. Please also recognize my post has NOTHING to do with any company's individual air intake design...I am simply trying to get people to realize that things are not so cut-and-dry.

SecretWeapon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Sedan, M6, Silver/Ebony

Longer pipe brings filter/intake closer to cold air from brake duct if removed. Short pipe more likely to pull in hot air from motor. Long pipe wins.

Ross L is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v

apples to banana's but the buick guys proved long ago that a open filter in the engine compartment made more hp than a "cold air" intake that relocated the filter further from the turbo, outside the engine compartment. In fact the "cold air" intake builders only advertised that they didn't cost any hp. NO hp gain claims. continue with technical talk that's way over my head.

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWeapon View Post
    Longer pipe brings filter/intake closer to cold air from brake duct if removed. Short pipe more likely to pull in hot air from motor. Long pipe wins.
    When your vehicle is in motion, You are getting hot air straight from the radiator more than air from the brake duct with the longer intake kits.. Open up that whole section "meaning remove all air boxes that would hinder flow, and go for a drive with 3 temp probes, one at the top, and at the bottom by the duct where the long kits pull air, and then by the head lamp and report back what the different temps are in each spot. Then, see when I went short. There was not one instance where the Brake duct area was cooler.

Once you remove that rubber flap near the headlight, the air is fresh right in and bypasses the radiator. The faster you go, the more it is flushed.. If you put in a shield, that airflow is not flushed as good, so it pulls hotter air from the radiator core down where the long kits get their air. Just look down inside, and stick your hands down in the area, you will see what I mean. It is even easier to see how it is getting hot air when there is no engine in the compartment..

Filters help with smoothing of the incoming air. I have not seen any issues with the mass air meters signal integrity with a shorter air box. Ours is a straight shot, like requested via gm for their ls3 e Rod kit. It works pretty good with the factory maf reversion tables. The other kits with the bends and then another bend seem more corrupt than a single easy curve.

setherman5000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 2011
    Wow, look where that one went! Anyone want to pony up $ for his CAI?

warmwater is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Coupe

I am so lost I don't know what to think any more! So I'll stay stock. Those Carbon Fibor CAI looks sweet.
    Interesting no talk of the green filter in this thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.