Guys do CAI really make our cars faster or its more psychological?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Guys do CAI really make our cars faster or its more psychological? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I have had my Airaid for the past year and i do like the increased sound under WOT but i ...
    MrMaschine is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011CTSV

Guys do CAI really make our cars faster or its more psychological?

I have had my Airaid for the past year and i do like the increased sound under WOT but i honestly do not think it has made my car faster. After driving a 2012 last Friday that was bone stock it feel much snappier and faster than my 2010. The two cars just felt so different.

I think all these claims Airaid makes is BS how the car gains 30+hp because it feels to me I lost hp.
    I keep finding vague results on forums and google on these intakes on the V2 and most guys have them with other mods and custom tuning which I do not.

Has anyone compared these system for real versus a drop in K&N filter?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

Re: Guys do CAI really make our cars faster or its more psychological?

It's only good for about a tenth, which is around 10 hp. Others apparently see 15-20 hp but that's not typical. It is, however, a must have since the stock intake collapses under boost. And for the price LPE wants for a pipe, couplers, and clamps you might as well buy a "real" CAI.

MIL.SPEC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

You would need to dyno the cars to see if it confirms what your butt dyno is saying. But an engine is an air pump, so the more air you get in it, the more power it can make. If it's a CAI, air with lower ambient temps is denser and will make more power. Add custom tuning to that, and you'll get even more power.

In almost every forced induction application I've seen, the stock airbox is a restriction.

Mike 09 V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 SRX; 09 V

Just some thoughts from the peanut gallery-It seems to me that the intake tube collapsing would require almost a total blockage of the air filter. The entire intake is on the low side of the SC, so there is virtually no pressure on the filter side. Further, the total area of the factory intake tube is just a fraction of the area of the air filter. So the only restriction is in the filter media. The factory filter seems to get the air from IN FRONT of the radiator, while all the after market setups get the air from the engine compartment. It would seem to me that there are 2 factors here: some ram air effect and cooler air source from the factory setup when the car is moving and hot air and no ram effect from the aftermarket parts, moving or standing still. I don't have an after market filter to measure and determine the total surface area so that we can compare it to the factory filter, but the factory filter is pretty big and has a lot of pleats that increase the total effective area. A guy did a pretty neat test a couple years ago, something which I posted back then, where he took an aftermarket filter that supposedly flows better and put a second filter behind it to see how it cleaned the air. The conclusion was that the only way the aftermarket filters can flow better is to let more crap into the engine. In other words the better flow the less filtering. Makes sense to me. And finally, in a post a couple years ago Jesse Bubb said he saw only a 6hp change from factory to NO filter! So any aftermarket filter should be less than 6hp change from factory.
    Added with edit-One more thing, why would the factory engineers put a crap intake setup on this hot rod when from there end, it would cost nothing to do it better? Well I say they didn't. Just like everything else on this car, I bet if it was really tested we would find that we should save our money and leave it stock.
    Club Malibu and Club Malibu like this.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

The factory filter seems to get the air from IN FRONT of the radiator, while all the after market setups get the air from the engine compartment.
    The stock airbox opens up right behind the driver side headlamp -- more specifically on the fender side, not the engine bay side.. It's no where hear the radiator. If you're buying an airaid or other ram air, they're going to be drawing from the exact same place.

Crystal Red CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V CRM Coupe (Airaid Intake & Corsa), 2011 Z06/Z07

This sounds optimistic, but interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIwuW1ovkW4

That said, Corsa Tourings and the Airraid are going on mine next weekend.

SpartanCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V

Well I'll just add my 2 cents. I just added an Airraid CAI and tuned with the Trinity T1000 tonight. First I tuned with the 91 octane tune and hard shift transmission tune. I then went for a ride and noticed nice results. Car definitely felt more responsive and faster. Then, I added the Airraid CAI and went back out. Man, the results are awesome. For just around $900 (Cold air intake and Trinity) the car really wakes up. I'm considering a pulley and retune in the near future, butI have tosay that I am Very Happy right now. Granted, I have not put it on the dyno yet to see real gains, but it certainly feels much more powerful. For what it's worth, this is coming from someone who has repeatedly tuned an Evo IX on dynos, and I feel that I am good judge of real road performance benefits.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    A Toyota T100?

zinner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V / 2010 SRX 2.8T

It's mostly noise/sound in my experiences. In most situation the filter is the limit on what the intake can flow CFM wise.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    A Toyota T100?
    OT question; did the $250 worth of silicone hoses and aluminum tube give you any extra supercharger whine? Have you compared it to a real RAI? If my Blackstone comes back with high silicon next round, I might want to trade someone.

ChasJr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cts V

I can say that after I put on my CAI whenever I would hit 88 mph some serious shit would happen..

Ste_V_e is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ChasJr View Post
    I can say that after I put on my CAI whenever I would hit 88 mph some serious shit would happen..
    Time travel!

hulksdaddy is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): <-----"Hulk" 2000-2012...He will always be missed :-(

Quote Originally Posted by ChasJr View Post
    Is that you Doc?

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

CAI is mostly for entertainment not only in this car, but most cars. I wasn't looking for performance, I wanted to hear that sweet supercharger spooling sound. In addition, the stock look was appreciated. The amount of power this added is not noticeable, honestly.

BigDog001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Black Diamond V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Red CTS-V View Post
    This sounds optimistic, but interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIwuW1ovkW4

That said, Corsa Tourings and the Airraid are going on mine next weekend.
    Well I can say this, I have a 2011 V Coupe Black Diamond edition. I do not race the car and it is my daily driver ... but the best car I have ever driven. I have installed the Corsa Catback Touring muffler and the Airaid Cold Intake. I did not have the car tuned or calibrated -- but I will tell you from my perspective the performance has improved. It did this for sound and my own personal desire. I can tell you that the overall gas mileage average has improved 1 MPG -- I was hoping or 2 mpg. I installed the catback first - i noticed the improvement in sound when I get on it, but I did not really notice a performance improvement (and as they say there is no drone in the cabin, actually barely noticeable in the cabin) -- but when I installed the Airaid -- wow it did fell different -- my best description is "increased smoothness". I think the combination was what did it. I would recommend these steps to anyone -- I love the car!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.