Problem with New Era intake and check engine code...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Problem with New Era intake and check engine code... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I just installed the New Era intake. It ran good, but after a few minutes it idled rough. Now the ...
    srt10viper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2010 ESV Platinum, 2011 CTS-V Black Diamond Edition

Question Problem with New Era intake and check engine code...

I just installed the New Era intake. It ran good, but after a few minutes it idled rough. Now the check engine light came on and the code is P0172 - system to rich in bank 1.

I took the MAF sensor off and cleaned with MAF cleaner. Still doing the same thing. Any thoughts????

THANKS.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Gary Wells is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles

Re: Problem with New Era intake and check engine code...

New Era needs an ECM tune, most will not run good without a tune. Everyone on the forum that I know of with a New Era has had the same issues until they get a tune.

Ste_V_e is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

which intake can you use without a tune?

Probably quite a few, but a tune would help getting better RWHP & RWTQ with any of them.
    Airaid, KPE ( virtually identical to the Airaid), run without a tune. I run a KPE and you can't tell it's on the car until you step into it.

This might help, but these are claims, not necessarily actual normal run dyno conditions.
    One person did dyno a before & after comparison and his Airaid gained about 7 RWHP on the average.

03-19-2009: 04:19 PM: (JTHennessey) True Cold Air Intakes – Instock!: “True Cold Air intakes – Instock”: Want to add a quick 15 hp? This is the solution. Completely replaces the factory intake system with our true cold air intake. Last week, Nick @ American Racing Headers was able to test this induction system and was able to show a gain of 18 rwhp!!! Awesome setup. Images attached to this post

05-21-2009: 09:06 AM: “New Era CTS-V Cold Air Intake”: Mike @ New Era tuned a 09 CTSV and tested our intake on it. It made 451 rwhp and 437 rwtq in -stock- form and it picked up 34 rwhp and 28 rwtq with the New Era 09 CTSV intake untuned. After Mike tuned it, it made 505 rwhp and 470 rwtq.

05-14-2010: 03:11 PM: KPE Cold Air Intake: Designed to draw cold air and fit with the factory -engine- bay trim. The first CTS-V intake to feature injection molded plastic tube and large filter protected in sealed powdercoated aluminum box. Makes 24 RWHP on a -stock- motor and even more with other modifications.

06-06-2010: 06:32 PM: Airaid 250-253 - Best prices – Free Shipping!: Airaid Cold Air Intake System for the 2009-2010 Cadillac CTS-V 6.2L Supercharged -V8- includes a modular intake tube, air dam and highflow washable air filter. This System will give you 28 HP and 43 FT/LBS of Torque with out a Tune.

07-31-2010: 04:55 PM: KPE: Re: All KPE CAI owners………Instead of using our -car-, we grabbed a used 2010 CTS-V straight off the lot from our local Cadillac Dealer with 7980 miles which was bone stock. We then installed the KPE intake, and they ran the -car- again on the dyno..………….they took the average of the three runs which proved an 11 hp increase. They did have a run that showed +20 but the average at full temperature was +11.

07-31-2010: 06:53 PM: newcadman: Re: All KPE CAI owners: As indicated I took my 2009 V -auto- V (7000 miles) to the same (dynojet) dyno where it was previously tested when it was bone stock…………… Three pulls were made with the now installed KPE cai. End result, the -engine- made 8 MORE rwhp on its best pull than it did on its previous best bone stock pu

srt10viper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2010 ESV Platinum, 2011 CTS-V Black Diamond Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Wells View Post
    New Era needs an ECM tune, most will not run good without a tune. Everyone on the forum that I know of with a New Era has had the same issues until they get a tune.
    REALLY??? I'll be dam. OK thanks I will look into this.

----------

On New Era web site it states:

Does not require PCM tune or any additional parts. Fully compatible with stock calibration. Install it directly on a stock
    OR modified car!

K&N air filter
    Highly-Skilled hand TIG-welding
    New Era Billet CNC MAF flange
    304 Stainless-steel hardware
    4-ply high-temp black silicone couplers
    High-quality stainless-steel screw clamps
    304 Stainless-steel TIG-welded 4" tubing
    Gun-Metal color powder coated finish
    Approximately 1 hour to install, includes installation instructions.
    100% Made in the U.S.A

A search might help. I have seen several threads / posts with the same issues. Might be beneficial to do a poll & query other people. In general, I am not trusting of manufacturers claims.
    Also, the New Era does better with the brake duct removed.

----------

If you want to PM user name "newcadman" he has some info about it.

smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

Make sure the MAF is fully connected. Otherwise, you need a tune.

SPEED74V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

I ran my New Era without a tune for a couple of months with no problems. I even had it at the road track for a weekend and had a lot of track time. I never had a code come up and it ran great. I had my car tuned recently when I added the headers.

Quote Originally Posted by smackdownCTSV View Post
    Make sure the MAF is fully connected. Otherwise, you need a tune.
    I really doubt that everyone who has had issues with the New Era CAI did not have their MAF fully connected. Maybe it depends on how how built the motor is. This is not the 1st mention of this on this forum / site.

smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

Then the tolerances are so far apart that some don't have any codes at all? Look up for yourself.

jnjj is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 White Diamond Sedan

If you removed the brake duct, then you'll need a tune. Below is the response I got form New Era about removing the duct. HTH.

It is not necessary, but we do have customers that do it, and it should be retuned after you do it because of the additional turbulence.

Mike Frumusa
    Sales & Tech Manager
    www.neweraperformanceparts.com
    sales@neweraperformanceparts.com
    (585) 865-1832
    [/I]

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.