I want 600rwhp. Help me get there!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, I want 600rwhp. Help me get there! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; It is time to upgrade my baby (manual) and as the title says I am looking to get 600rwhp. After ...
    ajjones44 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

I want 600rwhp. Help me get there!

It is time to upgrade my baby (manual) and as the title says I am looking to get 600rwhp. After doing some research I am trying to figure what are the necessary/not so necessary mods to get there. As of right know I am looking at:

CAI (installed)
    Kooks Headers
    10" Pulley
    HX (undecided)
    Injectors (ID850s)
    Spark plugs (NGK 6IX iridium)

Is there any mod that is necessary that I should add or take away to reach my goal. I also want to keep this set-up as drivable as I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

fanaticfab is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1000cc+200hp+400lbs

Re: I want 600rwhp. Help me get there!

thats a pretty solid mod list to get 600whp out of a manual car. i'd add a cam in there for good measure, it'll really wake the car up.
    i can get you injectors and a very nice HX, im a dealer for both.

Quote Originally Posted by fanaticfab View Post
    thats a pretty solid mod list to get 600whp out of a manual car. i'd add a cam in there for good measure, it'll really wake the car up.
    i can get you injectors and a very nice HX, im a dealer for both.
    Pm a price

oneman42 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan, Black, 6MT, no mods, LED int bulb swap

Quote Originally Posted by ajjones44 View Post
    It is time to upgrade my baby (manual) and as the title says I am looking to get 600rwhp. After doing some research I am trying to figure what are the necessary/not so necessary mods to get there. As of right know I am looking at:

CAI (installed)
    Kooks Headers
    10" Pulley
    HX (undecided)
    Injectors (ID850s)
    Spark plugs (NGK 6IX iridium)

Is there any mod that is necessary that I should add or take away to reach my goal. I also want to keep this set-up as drivable as I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    I think you will need a tune too.
    HTH,
    George

kirbyCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V manual

get the blower ported

Quote Originally Posted by kirbyCTSV View Post
    get the blower ported
    I thought about bringing the blower and heads to the states next month to get ported.

----------

I am already planning on the tune. I will probably go with the diablo trinity because my local shop cannot tune the v without a handheld to connect to the car.

Bushidopupil is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (V)icious Coupe

Check my sig...

Dale Pittman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

aajones44,

You should consider adding a 160 deg thermostat, it promotes lower under hood temperatures and reduces heat soak durations. Also, the upper pulley is much easier to change and can simply be swapped as a complete unit with an incorporated previously ported elbow. You can easily swap it in 2-3 hours. If you do the lower pulley you need to pull the stock harmonic balancer off the crankshaft and reinstall a new balancer and 3 pulley setup. Unless you have done this before it is a lot of work and need specialized tools and experience.

I also do not think the headers are going to help that much. We made 630 whp with 100% stock exhaust. You would be better off installing a bigger cam, and related upgraded valve springs, IMO. Also, if you pull the heads you should clean up intake ports. There is a significant deviation in the roof of the intake runner on one side of the valve guide that can be removed and blended in. I have heard this is an easy 50 cfm gain in airflow.

I get to DE a few times per year and would be glad to meet up sometime. Best of luck with your upgrades.

Das CTS-V, wenn sie richtig modifiziert werden Sie auf fast jedem normalen Tag lächeln.

Luna. is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Pittman View Post
    aajones44,

You should consider adding a 160 deg thermostat, it promotes lower under hood temperatures and reduces heat soak durations.
    I thought changing out to a 160 degree therm was previously discussed and it seemed generally accepted that such a modification was NOT worth it. Was that (seeming) consensus inaccurate? If memory serves, I believe Ed Traylor discussed exactly what it was and it was related to the limitations of the stock cooling system.

To the OP: I got 585/585 with just bolt-ons and a torque band as wide as Utah. Also, I only used the 9.5" pulley to get there. That combination, quite honestly, was my favorite of all, perhaps even over the 700rwhp combination I have right now. That was seemingly just like stock in substantially all ways. In my opinion, once you start spinning the stock blower too much faster than the 9.5", I feel the blower doesn't do such a good job at upper RPM. Sure, my mid-range torque soared over 600, but the rwhp was nowhere near as high as the rwtq because the blower and cam just couldn't keep up. At least, that was my experience & I've tried a bunch of combinations.

Gary Wells is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS-V, 3K miles & '87 Turbo Buick, 29K miles

I'm thinking heads and cam to round out the package. I personally would not do either one by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Pittman View Post
    aajones44,

You should consider adding a 160 deg thermostat, it promotes lower under hood temperatures and reduces heat soak durations. Also, the upper pulley is much easier to change and can simply be swapped as a complete unit with an incorporated previously ported elbow. You can easily swap it in 2-3 hours. If you do the lower pulley you need to pull the stock harmonic balancer off the crankshaft and reinstall a new balancer and 3 pulley setup. Unless you have done this before it is a lot of work and need specialized tools and experience.

I also do not think the headers are going to help that much. We made 630 whp with 100% stock exhaust. You would be better off installing a bigger cam, and related upgraded valve springs, IMO. Also, if you pull the heads you should clean up intake ports. There is a significant deviation in the roof of the intake runner on one side of the valve guide that can be removed and blended in. I have heard this is an easy 50 cfm gain in airflow.

I get to DE a few times per year and would be glad to meet up sometime. Best of luck with your upgrades.

Das CTS-V, wenn sie richtig modifiziert werden Sie auf fast jedem normalen Tag lächeln.
    So are you say I can hit my goal with just an upper pulley swap, cam, and porting of the heads/supercharger (plus minor mods)? I was considering the LS9 or GT11 cam. My concern is having to replace the springs frenquently. Can someone please school me on a more aggresive cam. I understand the upgrades that are needed to the heads but what I need to know is how much additional maintence is needed to maintain them. Thanks.

Oh...and to whoever outbid me on the 9.5 pulley setup and Katech intercooler on ebay good purchase. I knew I should have purchased that kit outright. $1000 in savings missed....I cried a little when I woke up to see that

kirbyCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V manual

Oh...and to whoever outbid me on the 9.5 pulley setup and Katech intercooler on ebay good purchase. I knew I should have purchased that kit outright. $1000 in savings missed....I cried a little when I woke up to see that
    thats funny...i was watching that too (not me who bid)...good price but id want a bigger intercooler than that.

EdwardETraylorIII is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V, Z06s, ZR1...

Your list will get you there. If you want a nice fat/flat torque curve and another 30-40 RWHP, then get a GT9 or streetsweeper cam. You don't need to port the heads or the blower. The stock unported head castings will flow way more air than the OEM blower can move...

Dale Pittman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

So are you say I can hit my goal with just an upper pulley swap, cam, and porting of the heads/supercharger (plus minor mods)? I was considering the LS9 or GT11 cam. My concern is having to replace the springs frenquently. Can someone please school me on a more aggresive cam. I understand the upgrades that are needed to the heads but what I need to know is how much additional maintence is needed to maintain them. Thanks.

aajones44,

As Edward mentioned the list you have should get you there (IMO: either way on the upper or lower pulley setup, just so you get 13-14psi of boost), especially with a 6speed manual since it has better driveline efficiency than an automatic trans. Dont worry about the upgraded valve springs going bad. I have around 0.600" lift and the upgraded springs are doing fine, we have around 12k miles on the 630 whp setup and drive it nearly every day. The most fun car I have ever had in our shop. Good luck with your upgrades.

qictrk is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I think your already there. Cecil.................

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.