Upgrade plugs + wires
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Upgrade plugs + wires in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I am looking to put in some 8.5mm MSD wires and want to know what is the best plug to ...
    1fastvee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 cts v coupe

Upgrade plugs + wires

I am looking to put in some 8.5mm MSD wires and want to know what is the best plug to put in my 2011 V over the stock plugs for best performance???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

SPEED74V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

Re: Upgrade plugs + wires

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastvee View Post
    I am looking to put in some 8.5mm MSD wires and want to know what is the best plug to put in my 2011 V over the stock plugs for best performance???
    I went with the NGK TR6 plugs - seem to be pretty good.

Where is the best place to buy the msd wires???

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

DO NOT buy the MSD wires. People only have issues with them when tuning. Stick with oem wires. You can do the NGK TR6 copper plugs like most use and have to replace them every 10k or you can do what I do and just use the NGK 6IX iridium plugs and change them every 20-25k. And the people that say you cant make power with iridium plugs just dont know. I make 650rwhp 599tq on 12psi w/ heads/cam/headers/ported stuff and iridium plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
    DO NOT buy the MSD wires. People only have issues with them when tuning. Stick with oem wires. You can do the NGK TR6 copper plugs like most use and have to replace them every 10k or you can do what I do and just use the NGK 6IX iridium plugs and change them every 20-25k. And the people that say you cant make power with iridium plugs just dont know. I make 650rwhp 599tq on 12psi w/ heads/cam/headers/ported stuff and iridium plugs.
    Razorecko is right - I meant to say the NGK 6IX iridium plugs. They were harder to find in stock when I was looking locally but I found a set and put in the Iridiums as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SPEED74V View Post
    Razorecko is right - I meant to say the NGK 6IX iridium plugs. They were harder to find in stock when I was looking locally but I found a set and put in the Iridiums as well.
    I was wondering are the plain TR6 cooper core plugs
    good to use as well??? Other than plug life is the performance the same from either the cooper core plug compared to the iridium plug??? I am putting in a D3 9.0 lower pulley and RO from D3 told me I should change to MSD 8.5 mm wires and go with the NGK TR6 plugs, which is what they do on their performance pulley packages???

I was wondering are the plain TR6 cooper core plugs
    good to use as well???
    They are ok but you may have to change them around 10K miles where the Iridiums go for 20-25K miles.

Quote Originally Posted by SPEED74V View Post
    They are ok but you may have to change them around 10K miles where the Iridiums go for 20-25K miles.
    I am not that worried about the less milage issue the car is not a daily driver and the car would only see 10,000 miles in about a year to a year and a half, I just want to make sure the perfomance level is equal to or better then the iridiums??? Also do you think it is really necessary to change out the stock plugs and wires if I am putting on the 9.0 lower pulley???

I am not that worried about the less milage issue the car is not a daily driver and the car would only see 10,000 miles in about a year to a year and a half, I just want to make sure the perfomance level is equal to or better then the iridiums??? Also do you think it is really necessary to change out the stock plugs and wires if I am putting on the 9.0 lower pulley???
    I am not sure if you need to change the plugs right away. I changed mine as I was putting headers on my car and I broke a plug, so I changed all of them out to the Iridiums.

if you're only putting in a 9.0 pulley and staying stock on everything else the stock plugs & wires will work fine for you

if you're only putting in a 9.0 pulley and staying stock on everything else the stock plugs & wires will work fine for you
    I just got off the phone with Craig the tech from D3 he told me to change the wires to the MSD 8.5mm wires and the plugs to the NGK TR6 he said those plugs run 2 levels cooler than the stock plugs, which will help prevent any knock when tuning the car, plus he said you would be able to add or take away more timing dont remember which one it was over the stock plugs,plus the MSD wires flow the voltage much better than the stock wires, so all is in motion for the install this up coming week.

I just got off the phone with Craig the tech from D3 he told me to change the wires to the MSD 8.5mm wires and the plugs to the NGK TR6 he said those plugs run 2 levels cooler than the stock plugs, which will help prevent any knock when tuning the car, plus he said you would be able to add or take away more timing dont remember which one it was over the stock plugs,plus the MSD wires flow the voltage much better than the stock wires, so all is in motion for the install this up coming week.
    2 levels colder than stock sounds like way too much for just a 9" pulley. But its your coin, you can do what you want. The' 6ix's were 1 step colder than stock so I believe the TR6's are also 1 step colder than stock not 2

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Just so I'm clear, the #5 is the stock heat range, and the #6 one step colder?

48548m is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): EXT
    I went with magnecore wires over msd and they are fine and built well in the USA.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

2 levels colder than stock sounds like way too much for just a 9" pulley. But its your coin, you can do what you want. The' 6ix's were 1 step colder than stock so I believe the TR6's are also 1 step colder than stock not 2
    Maybe it was 1 level, but I also talked with Chris from EAST COAST SUPERCHARGING and he also said they use the TR6 plugs on their cars as well on boost levels of 11 to 12lbs which mine will be with the 9.0 pulley and they gap them at 37, so yet another very realiable source of info, since superchargers are their specialty,and they put out some real fast cars V`s and Vettes...
    So with all that being said I know now I am taking the right road with my parts choice for my performance gains...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.